8 replies to this topic

#1 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

http://www.co-optimu...next-level.html

from the article above

ePawn Arena is a digital board game tabletop that will take board gaming to the next level. It is simply an interactive screen (READ: NOT A TABLET) that utilized patented magnetic technology and some fancy movement "RFID". What does this mean for you? An ultra responsive, affordable way to indulge in your Dungeons and Dragons weekly co-op sessions.

The screen was seen tracking multiple figurines in all of their positions and orientations, as well as displaying all the information for each figure. Being able to track multiple objects in real time is a feat in itself, but ePawn boasts that they are able to track up to forty pieces at one time. That is a lot of hobgoblins...

They are aiming to get the production model out by the end of the year, which is going to be a 26'' screen with a target price of $400. The screen uses the OS another device, plugging directly into a phone, tablet, or PC. In addition to the ePawn Arena being sold to the consumer, there is hope that the technology will be licensed to other hardware producers who are interested in making their own version of the screen

I'm sure this is far far off but it makes me excited for the future of TT!

#2 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Looks cool... and expensive.

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

very very interesting

#4 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 26 January 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Looks cool... and expensive.

That's what I thought to, $400 is a big chunk of change. BUT if you think of this a custom board that you use to play with friends, well split the cost with your regular gaming group! You only need one ;) course no idea how much the pieces cost.

Any hoo, this should be something catalyst should look into. A new way to reinvigorate the game and speed up play for the newer generation of players.

#5 Gideon Sterne

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Eh. Not for me - I prefer my wargames and miniatures-RPGs to involve scenery and terrain in three dimensions, thanks very much. I can see how this would appeal to the wealthier DnD'er, but - honestly - why shell out GBP£250-300 when you could achieve the same with a dry marker and a laminated sheet or two?

And think how many figures or terrain pieces that much dosh would get you!

#6 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Honestly "Table Top" makes me think of literal 3D terrain. This makes me think board game. Which it is cool and I imagine that if it were designed purely to do this they could scale down the price a bit...though imagine being able to play Battletech over the internet...

Would be cool but for games like 40k I don't see this being the future. Maybe once we get a 3D popup version ;).

#7 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Im looking forward to the Introductory box set that has litte moving and firing mechs like the chess style game in starwars. A tabletop 3d holographic map and scenery projector would also be pretty cool. Only a matter of time!

#8 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

hmm yeah, having a 3d projector would be the shizzle for sure!

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

;) MegaMek with Real Minis... ohh... OHHH Sorry i will brb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users