Scratch Built 21cm resin MW4 Hunchback Model

15 replies to this topic

#1 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

This mech was my first dip into resin casting. I always loved the MW4 Hunchback redesign plucky little robot with a BFG. I have fond memories of Palace gates as part of a Heavy Gauss rifle Hunchie tag team

Based from Blaars papercraft plans I set upon mock up the paint scheme I saw in another picture.

Posted Image

I nick named this scheme Desert ridge line. I think MW4 had a similar camo skin. I went in to far more care and detail with this model as i was planning to take moulds of the whole Mech and casting it in resin. This also ment i had to think about how each part would be cast. Paying particular attention to surface details and how far to assemble parts.

Posted Image

Here the Styrene master loosely put together to make sure everything matches. The pen marks are notes to myself on details, surface joints etc (all those white squares are easy to muddle!) It took me about 1 month to get to this stage.

Now the fun process of mould making can begin. There's no doubt this stage is super fun but also quite messy so I don't have that many photos.

Posted Image

I used the smooth on starter kit, Lego and plasticine (play doe) to make the moulds. (Casting such a large model drinks pints and pints of silicone about 6kgs in this case!). There's a good 8 part video guide on youtube which I followed

Once the moulds are done you ready to pop out mechs like cookies! This has to be the best stage to reach you finally get to see your work go from boxlike substructures to stompy stompy mech like goodness. It took 2months to get to this point and now you can cast a whole Mech in under 1hr bang tidy!

Posted Image

You'll note the use of green stuff modelling putty. This is needs to fill cast lines, gaps and bubbles that appear in the resin casting process if you don't have access to the pressure casting equipment. You'll also notice I'm in the process of adding extra details using styrene, wire etc I decided to add these after casting because i wasn't 100% sure how sharp they would come out. On to painting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Painting is where I feel most experienced in model making. I love how well the paint scheme came out, I like my mechs solid colours and weathered (you can see the improvement from the Armorcast atlas painted 10years earlier which I did with car spray paint eek!). I chose Eridani Light Horse decals for no other reason than they complimented this paint job.

I stunned myself with how well this came together. The final height is 21cm around 1/43 scale and weighs in at 750g. Knowing that you can cast parts really focuses ones mind on getting the details right and removes those headaches of building free hand symmetrical objects like legs.

Posted Image

Here's a nice image of the steps of production.

I have also cast another Hunchback from my left over resin (resin won't keep once opened) thats going on eBay so you too can enjoy owning and painting your very own large scale Hunchback. Everything you see here (bar my craft mat, cheeky monkeys) is included;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230734304586

(hope the mods wont mind)

Posted Image

There a few more picutres on my Mech build blog http://reversedisabled.blogspot.com/

My next project is an Osiris more on that next time.

#2 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Dude . . you planning on selling some of those? O.o
They'd make some nice birthday and christmas presents =^.^=

#3 Hanyit Greyhame

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Very nice work! Now I require the MWO model mechs... ;)

#4 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Very nice work man.

#5 Merf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Really like the paint-job. Nicely done for sure.
Huge fan of the worn/damaged look in general. The fade between the two colour sections is nice as well.

/Merf - Approves of this paint-job

#6 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

iam not really a fan of the MW4 re-designs but i'm really likeing this, very well done.

i'm curious if that is a certain type of styrene that you used to build the body?

#7 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the compliments. I used slightly modified papercraft plans made by the folks over at mechwarrior3.org without those i don't think i could build any of these. They have to go to a great deal of trouble putting out the 3d meshes from the MW4 files to convert them to paper craft plans.

In a dream world MWO would release its mechs in papercraft for the public/fans to build (remember those card board cutting on the back of cereal packets as a kid). Would be super to build that new atlas!! Would be great publicity too (Bryan are you listening pretty please?)

#8 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Nice work. Although is it really that tall compared to an Atlas?

#9 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostAlaric Wolf Kerensky, on 30 January 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Nice work. Although is it really that tall compared to an Atlas?

The model is compared to the armorcast atlas, in CBT its not. I scaled this Model to scale with the paper craft plans that blaar and others make which are avaible to download at mechwarrior3.org

#10 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

That model looks really good! I also like how you posted a progress video to show us how it's done.

Not really a fan of the MW4 design though. The big dent in the CT looks like a catcher's mitt for anything that's shot at it.

#11 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I just played my frist game of B'tech table top (25th aniversay addition, the starter senario). Man the hunchback is nasty! It won every match even when swapping sides that AC20 just wrecks any part it touches on the enforcer. You really start to fear that HB as it closes in. I did manage to charge past it 2x in close combat but it still caught me in the end.

Also a reminder the auction for my Big hunchie ends this Sunday http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230734304586

#12 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Brilliant stuff, i really really like it.

I wish i could cast my own like this.

#13 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

Aah, HighDesert. Loved that camo scheme to bits.

Nice work on the shorty, and bonus style points for the paint :) .

#14 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

Incredible work! Well done indeed!

As has been said, it would be well worth your time to consider commissions & the like, especially around these parts :)

If you ever find your way to a Marauder IIC, do drop me a message won't you? I may have to offer something in return for you "popping one out", so to speak.

#15 Punisher 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

humm looked on ebay no more left? might be out of my price piont but never the less a very nice model!

#16 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'm happy to cast another one if you on a commision bases.

View PostPunisher_1, on 08 February 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

humm looked on ebay no more left? might be out of my price piont but never the less a very nice model!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users