61 replies to this topic

#1 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

Bryan: I think robot games have been viewed by publishers as very niche in the past. You essentially have two types, anime and everything else. In North America, MechWarrior has been the king, and most anime style robot games have not gained much traction. I think this about to change with a wave of promising robot games.

I just want to clarify, That from this interview Bryan is saying that "Robot Games will not be niche" not that "Anime style robot games have not gained much traction but now will."?? I only say that because PGI made transformers, which was very "anime style'. Which is it?

Here is a new MULTIPLAYER movie from Armored Core V. It looks... exciting. But to quote French Marshal Pierre Bosquet "It is magnificent, but it is not war." I don't think MechWarrior Online will be this way... will it? are there things from this that they should take? It looks like not much to me... that overhead view is cool... Mechlab is dynamic and fast, but...

http://kotaku.com/58...r-in-this-video

#1. This looks JUST like Hawken. Or Hawken looks JUST like this. Either way, whiile it looks like a fun way to blow off a couple hours, this is not Mech warfare to me.
#2. I like the recon aspect.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Well, it will probably be the mix of the previous gameplay styles. No Hawken or Armored Core happening, I hope. :lol:

#3 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

vid link is dead here's the same one different site - http://www.computera...gh-multiplayer/

I hope MW:O is vastly different, we have enough fast paced console FPS mech games, to try to compete in that space would be mechicide.

really like the operator view...but dead single reticle...bleah.

Edited by Kaemon, 27 January 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#4 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Lean more toward the gritty and lumbering end of things. That is one of the main tennets of Battletech. :lol:

#5 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostKaemon, on 27 January 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

vid link is dead here's the same one different site - http://www.computera...gh-multiplayer/

I hope MW:O is vastly different, we have enough fast paced console FPS mech games, to try to compete in that space would be mechicide.

really like the operator view...but dead single reticle...bleah.

I'm kinda hoping for a single reticle. Mostly because i dont want to have to relearn to off hand joystick right hand mouse again. MW3 was a long time ago for me.

I was planning a HOTAS rig but if the reticle is free moving I will probalby have to dump the throttle move the joystick to my offhand so i can aim with the mous.

#6 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Those things don't seem to walk or run for crying out loud. They are flying about willy nilly. Mechwarrior is not like that, nor will MWO be, or I got a hat I will eat.

#7 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Lets see them lumbering and rocking...but hopefully at appropriate speed relative to the HUD stated velocity.

#8 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Armored core isn't like Hawken, and its certainly not like Mechwarrior.

I'm a huge Armored core fan since the beginning, but they aren't similar.

Mechwarrior emphasizes very different aspects then armored core does. In armored core its about speed and reflexes, and having very limited ammunition, so accuracy is important. The creation and customization of your mech (Your "AC") is also much more in depth then mechwarrior's customization system and much more emphasized. You create your AC from scratch including things like the frame and its internal parts like the generator, radiator, fire control... Mechwarrior more emphasizes simulator aspects and tactical aspects (Such as use of the terrain and teamwork) where AC is more about single combat. AC5 is aiming to change that and add a tactical element but I don't think they'll be successful to be honest.

They each have something to offer. I think it goes without saying Mechwarrior will stick to its guns.

#9 Kurn Hurin

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

The robots in the armoured core game dont seem to actually interact with the environment as they move across it. Just look at the clip where the bot seems to hop up the side of the building. I prefer lumbering mechs as they seem more realistic

#10 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Transformers was true to the Movie franchise. You cant compare previous games that PGI did to MW:O because those previous games were not based off of MW2/3/4 BTU blah blah blah.

I assure you, PGI has stated time and time again they want to capture the feel of the table top and the previous mechwarrior games.. That being said, they are not going to start mimicking other mech games that have nothing to do with table top or back away from what cannon describe the perimeters that a Battlemech can operate under.

atleast this is how I feel from reading everything they have written in the dev blogs.

#11 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Depends, I do not want my Fire Moth lumbering around, but I would feel odd with my 95 ton Executioner rocketing around, well faster than it does already. :lol:

#12 Starbadger

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 69 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Look at that beefy Atlas in the concept art- I don't think he's rocketing anywhere. Despite comments that the centurion looks like a gundam by some, I'm fairly confident that PGI will get the speed and tone of MW:O right: Big, lumbering and gritty. Remember the trailer back in 2009? They may not be doing exactly that game anymore, but it definately did not have 'mechs jetting all over the place.

#13 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Let me put it to you this way. In today's playtest I was in a Heavy. As the scouts went ripping past me I was making my way to the front lines. Then it happened. One of our scouts explodes from a full salvo being unloaded from an Assault. I need to get up there! I can see the laser fire.. I can see whispy smoke trails in the far distance. Another Heavy from our team goes down and there's all kinds of yelling in anguish coming from across the room. I NEED TO GET UP THERE!!!

I finally crest a hill and see 2 of our scouts, engaged with an Assault... the one scout is almost dead I'm told. I primary the Assault that is attacking as the scout is backing away shooting only 2 of it's 4 lasers. I unload salvo upon salvo on the Assault and it's still moving forward. The Assault takes some heavy damage as I see it turn toward me. The hobbling scout isn't much help at this point but I take the high ground and keep shooting everything I have at the Assault.

My AC/20 is now empty.. I'm left with lasers and this Assault is still coming at me. Instinctively I run past the Assault and quickly come to a full stop while turning 180-degrees. I start hammering the Assault in the back with lasers and trying to stay close. I know he can't target me when I'm close so I'm doing my best. I know he's about to die but I'm not doing so well myself. I have to get distance and turn right now or I'm going to be toast...I get my distance.. I fire a salvo.. I miss... I know I'm toast now....

That's when a large salvo of LRM's dropped from the sky and I look past the wreckage of the Assault to see a friendly Assault cresting the hill top... and the small wounded Scout standing there... giving him LOS/D targetting... it brings a tear to my eye...

So I run off crying like a little girl.

The end.

Conclusion:

This moment could not have been brought to you if we had super fast speedy movement like Transformers/Gundam/Anime style mechas.

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

You had me grinning like a little school girl in a room of some non MLP cutey things. Holy crap wonderful write up. Sounds just like my dreams of new MechWarriors. :') In before the 'pics or it did not happen' posts.

Edited by CoffiNail, 27 January 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#15 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

You ask for it... you get it..

First Gameplay Screenshot:

Spoiler

#16 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVan Zandt

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Gah! Paul, you fiend! Don't tempt us so!

#17 Firestorm43

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Oh, you are a terrible tease, sir.

#18 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Is not the whole website, you guys and the publisher all up here in Canada?

#19 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 27 January 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

You ask for it... you get it..

First Gameplay Screenshot:

Spoiler

TYVM for the post. that was a real concern for me and im very pleased that the game will be in the style you have described. :)

#20 Win44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCT, USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Gah! I even hesitated before I clicked the spoiler, just preparing myself mentally for the kick in the nuts.

It still hurt Paul! But thanks for the play by play recap, I'll have something to dream about tonight.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users