Okay guys mid battle reinforcements or beginning a battle using HOT DROPS

80 replies to this topic

Poll: Hot Drops (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hot Drops be included as a way to bring in reinforcements and/or start a battle? (NOT RESPAWN)

1. HELL YAH (heavy metal begins playing) DEATH FROM ABOVE (55 votes [67.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.90%

2. No, as it would be unbalanced for tactics and/or we would get slaughtered (18 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Other (please do tell what your idea is) (8 votes [9.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.88%

4. What in the name of <insert here> is a Hot drop (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

How about having to get certified for hot drops as a Perk/module?

1. Yes, sign me up (48 votes [59.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. No way, I just jump and go (33 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

Who all speaks Mando'a here (You don't have to answer this)

1. Yes (if so, identify youself) (9 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. No (72 votes [88.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Now guys this is a reiteration of an old poll that I started long long time ago, so what is your opinions on this matter?

Edited by guardian wolf, 30 January 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Other. Death from above without heavy metal. :lol:

#3 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Heavy metal is a must if im going in hell jumper style.

#4 BeforeLife

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Same :) f the mission were some sort of defence mission the perfect music would be "where dragons rule" by dragonforce :( Perfect for fighting a dragon in skyrim too lol

#5 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Should be in but require a skill unlock. It is not like any cadet straight from the acasamy could hot drop a huge lump of heavily armoured potentialy esxplosive, yet in some ways delicate, machinery.
Would be something to work for and a skill that would make your services more valuable.

#6 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVan Zandt

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostAdridos, on 27 January 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Other. Death from above without heavy metal. :)

Sorry in Mech Warrior whenever you hot drop, there's going to be heavy metal. Even if you're blasting out classical music for some reason.

#7 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVan Zandt

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Actually all mechs should play the most inane elevator music after being dumped out of a drop ship at Lord knows how high.

#8 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostZervziel, on 28 January 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

Actually all mechs should play the most inane elevator music after being dumped out of a drop ship at Lord knows how high.

So "Girl from Ipanema" mall-style it is? Ugh... :) That's actually a very good incentive to not have a respaw... errr... reinforcement drop.

#9 SovietKoshka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomewhere betwixed the stars of the inner sphere and rim

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

YES TO HOT DROP but instead of heavy mettal we need .....THIS

#10 Axxon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

you implement this, and ruin a good portion of the *tactics* part of the game.. because any common sense general sends all his troops to battle all together, in co-op.. i mean, a general, who is not willing to get his vanguards slaughtered..

That is why an army IS an army, with, say 200000 men, and not 200000 individual rambos, f.ing around in the forest, playing hide and seek with the enemy. They are TOGETHER. They act together.

This is why <tactics> cannot be played out in todays FPS games. Because the dead - constantly come back! Rendering any game a crazy shooting-grinder f.ck-fest!!

Oh, and one more. The bigger the battlegroup, you need bigger maps. I mean <BIG> big. With all kinds of terrain, and lots of objects. Maybe even an algorithm to rearrange terrain at each certain map at each play.

Please have some common sense and do not degrade MW Reboot to a mindless grinder. Thanks people.

#11 Sir Aaron

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hot drops would be fun as long as it is not prolonging the game play endless. But being in the battle and suddenly seeing those red comets coming down and knowing that now the trouble starts. Would be cool.

#12 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hot drops...and interesting way to deal with respawning. I like the idea of it being a skill as opossed to a standard.

it would be good to maintain interest in any given battle...but i'm not sure if the effect on tactical ballance would be a good thing...

#13 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

This of course is a argument for player controled Dropships, (any DEVs watching?) just let me move the thing to land take off,let people in and out, shoot things, you know. that dosnt mean its indestructable but very very hard to destroy.

Heavy Metal was first reveranced in the song "Born to be wild" (Heavy Metal thunder) , but it was invented by Von Beethoven.

Planning your next Mission? How that last Drop ship Company work out for you? Did they Run at the first sign of trouble?
Please consider Using McKools Cattle raiders for your next trip, your designated driver Finn ,always there for you when you need him most, always sober, and dont forget a free steak meal for those who make the trip home.

its a cruel universe out there.

#14 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

P.S. Ill play whatever music you want!

#15 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostAxxon, on 29 January 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

you implement this, and ruin a good portion of the *tactics* part of the game.. because any common sense general sends all his troops to battle all together, in co-op.. i mean, a general, who is not willing to get his vanguards slaughtered..

That is why an army IS an army, with, say 200000 men, and not 200000 individual rambos, f.ing around in the forest, playing hide and seek with the enemy. They are TOGETHER. They act together.

This is why <tactics> cannot be played out in todays FPS games. Because the dead - constantly come back! Rendering any game a crazy shooting-grinder f.ck-fest!!

Oh, and one more. The bigger the battlegroup, you need bigger maps. I mean <BIG> big. With all kinds of terrain, and lots of objects. Maybe even an algorithm to rearrange terrain at each certain map at each play.

Please have some common sense and do not degrade MW Reboot to a mindless grinder. Thanks people.

I get your point but armies do employ paratroopers to jump in behind enemy lines and disrupt their normal means of supply and logistics and thereby decrease the overall combat effectiveness of the frontline troops your army is facing. Sound like something a hot drop could be used for?

#16 Axxon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

View PostHarrow, on 29 January 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

I get your point but armies do employ paratroopers to jump in behind enemy lines and disrupt their normal means of supply and logistics and thereby decrease the overall combat effectiveness of the frontline troops your army is facing. Sound like something a hot drop could be used for?

hm, okay, it might be OK. Just give me some countermeasure to shoot those damn paratroopers right out of the sky! >D

and hey! come in waves. Or maybe ONE big group. ONCE. Dont make a habit of reinforcement-ing. We will be bent towards fps deathmatches. Which has not much common sense in it.

#17 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostAxxon, on 30 January 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

hm, okay, it might be OK. Just give me some countermeasure to shoot those damn paratroopers right out of the sky! >D

and hey! come in waves. Or maybe ONE big group. ONCE. Dont make a habit of reinforcement-ing. We will be bent towards fps deathmatches. Which has not much common sense in it.

I hear what you are saying. I agree that the number of 'troops' should be finite and a team would have to make the decision of how many mechs to hold back for a hot drop deployment and how many to field immediately and so on. But it could be a very interesting mechanic. and even though this game is very FPS in nature, it doesnt mean we have to conform to all these pre-conceived ideas of how a game should operate. I for one would be happy to see alot of innovation, especially the kind that this particular 'canon' has to offer.

#18 Axxon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

the game types, that are being offered at the very start... if a game offers a pleasantly numerous choices, of which game type would you engage in.. then every idea can have its representation, no matter what.

#19 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

I am all for hotdrop being something like a commander skill say

hot dropping:
4 ranks
each rank allows you to assign 1 pilot (with their consent) as a hotdrop asset in the battle setup screen. During combat the commander can drop these assets anywhere within x distance of one of his scouts.

I am however verymuch against it being used as any kind of respawn mechanic as any respawn mechanic devalues tactis and make survival less important... I am also complete against any form of repair or reload mechanics for similar reasons

#20 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

Battle underway...

Initial scouting reports indicate elements of enemy spotted in sector KX-5. Detached scout to confirm.

*5 minutes later*

Enemy Mech forces engaged in the vicinity of sector KX-5. Battle underway, redirect remianing forces to reinforce position there.

*5 minutes later*

Enemy formation broken up. 2 lighter enemy units managed to disengage and are currently pursued.

*5 minutes later*

Pursuing forces have caught up finally to fleeing enemy, but we have just received a warning from orbital surveillance about multiple inbound signals. TacCom suggest regroup as this looks like a reinforcement drop.

*5 minutes later*

New enemy forces confirmed, inital force composition seesm to be...

*BEEP*

Thank you for playing MWO, this match is now over, the statistics screen will show how you perfromed in a minute, please hold...

- - - - -

But hell yeah, let's have multiple reinforcement drops and what not for matches that will last 20 minutes at most. Just don't ask me to be one of the poor sods that has to wait till 5 minutes before the match is over to enter the battlefield. I'm not stupid enough to sit back and just twiddle my thumbs for 15 minutes before that... :)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users