1 reply to this topic

#1 Nathaniel Blackrain

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've seen plenty of games in the past giving people the chance to create their own clans but haven't really put any thought into it,well not much anyway.they've only allow people to choose names and emblems and thats about it.That's why i've never bothered with it,just didn't seem that big a deal really but i've got this idea in my head so I may aswell get it out in the open before I forget it :/.

When a person creates a Merc corporation or a house,They can name the corp/house as usual but they start off with a basic operation base.like an airfield or something to that effect,they can put in game money into their base to increase it's size so they can have more members.What would be in this base?

Hangar Bay: The hangar bay is where the mechs are stored,resupplied,repaired and customized.A standard sized hangar can hold up to 20 mechs but the size can be increased by putting money into it.

Warehouse: The warehouse is where the ammo,weapons and extra gear is stored,and where the corp/house is resupplied with ammunition and supplies to keep their mechs up and running.And will be suppiled in a weekly basis so the players will have to think smart in who they fight and how long they fight for.So it's best not to pick a fight if they don't have the supplies to last,Space can be increased by spending ingame money into it.

Office: The office is where the leader and or the designated recruiters spends his/her time speaking to people who would like to join their operation.

Housing area: This is where the members are mostly held,each member has his/her own room which they can customize with their ingame money.Standard is 20 rooms,the number can be increased when money is spent on the housing.

WarRoom: The war room is where all the members gather for a clanwar and other types of fights that they may incounter in the game.The war room will certain types of equipment that will give the members information on who,where and when they are fighting and other types of information.that way they can customize their mechs to suit the situation that they may incounter and obviously give them the ability to set up their own fights/wars and also set up alliance's with other corps.

Training Area/Proving grounds: The training area is where members can fight training bots or each other to hone their skills.The proving grounds is where the House/Corp can thin the increasing number of recruits that may come their way.The recruits will have to fight each other to be able too get into the corporation,This will give the leader and the recruiters a chance to test these peoples skills to see if their worth having in the clan.

Vault: the high secruity vault houses the clans excess cash that they win during fights,clan wars and missions.Bigger the vault the safer it is and more money can be stored.

There was other idea's that I wanted to put in here but i forgot them :).

#2 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Nathaniel... I think you just solidly pegged yourself as a member of Wolf's Dragoons, because what you basically described is more or less, Outreach.

There are a few differences between what most MMOs refer to as clans and what we call Clans/Clanners/Vatborn.

Clan/Guild/Corp/etc... : a group of generally like-minded individuals pursuing a similar goal, be that PvE, PvP, or just fun. In BT, this would be considered something more akin to a House or Merc Company.

Clans (from http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan): The Clans of BattleTech were originally the self-exiled remnants of the Star League Defense Force army, after Stefan Amaris brought about the downfall of the Star League. General Aleksandr Kerensky led his forces beyond the Inner Sphere because he believed that a terrible war was brewing between the Great Houses; a war that even the once mighty Star League army was powerless to stop. The exiles evolved into a warrior-based civilization that would sweep through the Inner Sphere like a whirlwind 250 years later.

Now, also in the BT universe, there are only 5 Houses: Davion, Steiner, Kurita, Liao, and Marek, each one having a substantial chunk of the galaxy that they rule over. I think if players were to attempt to start their own... well, the Devs will likely be playing the ComGuard, and would probably enjoy the havoc, but it'd be doubtful if they'd let it fly. The reason for these 5 houses is due to, well, a number of things actually, the biggest of which is what is known as the Successor Wars. From the description of the Clans above, that war after the Star League fell apart was basically to find out who would be the next Lord of the Star League - each felt they had a right to it for one reason or another (though by geneaological rights, only the Davions had a true claim).

Because of this infighting, a series of 3 major wars were fought, decimating the galaxy and destroying the majority of the technology that was used during the Star League era - hence why salvage is considered such a serious prize. The technology exists to repair Mechs, and a LOT of jury-rigging is done to keep them going, but very few places can actually still manufacture them. With this game taking place in 3049, there would actually have been a very brief Fourth Succession War, as well.

But, back on point... the ideas have merit -- in the future. Right now, from what little we know about MWO, the game is focused mainly on the Mech combat aspect of things... if PGI is able to expand this into the game that I'm sure all of us would LOVE to see, then yes, something like your idea would likely be implemented.

tl;dr: Why clan and Clan are different, why there are 5 Houses, and a very rough history of BT.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users