First set of Clan 'Mechs to be modeled - my take

13 replies to this topic

#1 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Light 'Mech - [35 tons] Adder (Puma) TRO3050 describes the Adder as seeing 'widespread use among all the Clans'. However, I could see the Mist Lynx taking the spot as first Clan light as well, seeing as it is the most ubiquitous dedicated scout 'Mech the Clans employ. A role in which the Adder rarely served.

Medium 'Mech - [55 tons] Stormcrow (Ryoken) TRO3050 describes the Stormcrow as being 'one of the most common Mechs in Smoke Jaguar forces ... also common in the other Clans'. Certainly the most popular medium within the universe and among the tabletop and video game players. An easy choice.

Heavy 'Mech - [75 tons] Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) TRO3050 describes the Timber Wolf as 'the favourite Mech of the Wolf Clan' and 'moderate numbers with other Clans'. Also, as a BattleTech brand icon, the Timber Wolf is pretty much a must-have. The fact that it appears to be the most evenly-spread Clan heavy is just icing on the cake (though this distinction may fall to the Mad Dog, depending on how you interpret the wording in TRO3050: '... appeared in the armed forces of all the Clans. Clan Ghost Bear uses it with the greatest frequency, but the Smoke Jaguars also favor the 'Mech. The Vulture is somewhat less common among the other Clan forces').

Assault 'Mech - [80 tons] Gargoyle (Man o' War) this category is a tough pick. While certainly the least popular Clan assault 'Mech of the invasion (among the tabletop and videogame playerbase alike), TRO3050 describes the Gargoyle as 'more often seen among Clan Wolf forces than those of the other Clans, the Man O' War has played important roles across the entire invasion front'.

In addition to apparently being the most widespread assault 'Mech in the invading Clans, the Gargoyle can also be spiced up from the board game in a manner unique to MechWarrior Online; increased command 'Mech abilities (like we all hope, say, the Cyclops will be).

Besides, that walking insanity known as the Dire Wolf will be so expensive no one will be able to afford it for a while anyway ...

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

i'd like to see more second line mechs mixed in than the front line. the designs for the clan mechs are much more modern and appealing than what the old IS stuff was. so my vote is anything with a IIC attached to the end of it.

#3 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'm definately a fan of second-line machines, but they're exactly that; second-line. The initial waves of Clan 'Mechs modeled should be the front-line, tip-of-the-spear OmniMechs. The second-line BattleMechs weren't seen by Inner Sphere forces until they ran into Clan garrison units.

That said, your point definately has two strong aspects ...
- depending on how Piranha works their carrot-and-stick system for aquiring 'Mechs, second-liners might be the perfect starter
- the in-game introduction of the Clans will most certainly not be a reenactment of Operation Revival, and the Clans will surely be fighting defensive battles right away. Enter the second-liners!

Now that you got me thinking, here's my take on what second-line 'Mechs should be first out of the gate (based on how widespread the design is, referring to TRO3055):

Light 'Mech - [25 tons] Locust (IIc) I could be convinced that the Clan Jenner should be in this spot, but the fact that the Jenner is a post-Exodus design sticks in my craw.

Medium 'Mech - [40 tons] Griffin (IIc) as per TRO3055: 'a common second-line Mech in all the Clans that took part in the invasion'

Heavy 'Mech - [60 tons] Glass Spider (Galahad) I could definately be convinced that the Clan Rifleman should be in this spot instead, in order to keep up the whole 'original BattleTech Mechs reborn!' vibe.

Assault 'Mech - [80 tons] Warhammer (IIc) It's a toss-up between this or the Clan Marauder. In TRO3055, the Warhammer is described as existing in 'large numbers', while the Clan Marauder is listed as 'on all the garrisoned Clan worlds'.

Edited by Bren, 27 January 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#4 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostBren, on 27 January 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Assault 'Mech - [80 tons] Gargoyle (Man o' War) this category is a tough pick. While certainly the least popular Clan assault 'Mech of the invasion (among the tabletop and videogame playerbase alike), TRO3050 describes the Gargoyle as 'more often seen among Clan Wolf forces than those of the other Clans, the Man O' War has played important roles across the entire invasion front'.

In addition to apparently being the most widespread assault 'Mech in the invading Clans, the Gargoyle can also be spiced up from the board game in a manner unique to MechWarrior Online; increased command 'Mech abilities (like we all hope, say, the Cyclops will be).

Besides, that walking insanity known as the Dire Wolf will be so expensive no one will be able to afford it for a while anyway ...

I think you misread your quote; "more often seen among Clan Wolf forces than those of the other Clans," meaning that if you compared a Clan Wolf touman with a Jade Falcon touman, you would see more Gargoyles with the Wolves than with the Falcons, not that it was the most common.

Personally, I would like to see a Dire Wolf, or Warhawk. And of course, the iconic Timber Wolf.

Edited by Alaric Wolf Kerensky, 28 January 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#5 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

I was going more off of the 'important roles across the entire invasion front' line.

Granted, this doesn't actually say anything with reference to numbers. However, it does seem to indicate that it is the most evenly spread and therefore perhaps the best 'Mech to represent an Assault from any one invading Clan.

Honestly any of the four assaults could be chosen and I'd be able to argue the merit in its selection. There's really no correct answer here and since we're dealing with the 'original sixteen' here, there's really no wrong one either.

#6 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

My wishlist of the first OmniMechs for MWO...

Light Mech: Fire Moth (TRO 3050 / Designed by the Cloud Cobras in ?)

Medium Mech: Stormcrow (TRO 3050 / Designed by the Hell's Horses, Final version was introduced by the Snow Ravens in 2930)

Heavy Mech: Timber Wolf (TRO 3050 / Designed & introduced by the Wolves in 2945)

Assault Mech: Warhawk (TRO 3050 / Designed & introduced by the Smoke Jaguars in 2999)

#7 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think it is going to greatly depend on how the Clans are introduced. If they were available from August 3049 as they hit the Periphery, then it would make sense ro release those models that showed up in the expeditionary forces for those raids. In that case you'd get Timberwolves, Hellbringers and probably a couple of light chassis.

If you wait until the true assault begins in May 3050 then you have a much wider variety. I'd find it hard to believe there were many assault mechs in the raiding forces.

Semyon

#8 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostThe_Birdeater, on 29 January 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

The Firemoth would be a real trip to see bookin' it across the landscape ... 215 km/h? Damn. But, I wouldn't pick it as a 'first wave' personally because it's described in TRO3050 as being 'one of the less common Clan designs ... not in general use'.

Appears to be the favoured recon 'Mech for the Ghost Bears, though ...

View PostSemyon Drakon, on 30 January 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I'd find it hard to believe there were many assault mechs in the raiding forces.

I disagree, when the Clans hit during Operation Revival, there was no raiding. It was for keeps.

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostBren, on 30 January 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

The Firemoth would be a real trip to see bookin' it across the landscape ... 215 km/h? Damn. But, I wouldn't pick it as a 'first wave' personally because it's described in TRO3050 as being 'one of the less common Clan designs ... not in general use'.

Appears to be the favoured recon 'Mech for the Ghost Bears, though ...

I disagree, when the Clans hit during Operation Revival, there was no raiding. It was for keeps.

Neg, the Viper is Clan Ghost Bear's recon mech of choice, Firemoth is more our taxi service for our large amounts of Elementals :) BTW Bren, you live in a good city, I hail from the same place on Terra :D

#10 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Light 'Mech - [35 tons] Adder (Puma) - That mech is designed with the purpose to fight with most common IS medium mechs .
Medium 'Mech - Very hard choice - A. [55 tons]Stormcrow - as was told most common mech for the Inviding clans
B. [45 tons] Ice Ferret - I like that mech - very powerful scout - but mostly used by clan Wolf
Heavy 'Mech - another hard choice - A. [75 tons] Timber Wolf - I think that one no need coment
B. [70 tons] Summoner - with the Timber Wolf there is no other mechs so popular amongs all Battletech fans
Assault 'Mech - [90 tons] - Supernova - I think that mech even that is no-omni mech is one of the most fearsome machines and its developed before omni technology (if i remember right )

Edited by daneiel varna, 02 February 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#11 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Light: Kit Fox F or H
Medium: Scat or Stormcrow
Heavy: Hmmm, can I pick three. If not Timby
Assaults: Warhawk

#12 Undead

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hmmm...

I would like -

Light: Kit Fox
Medium: Stormcrow
Heavy: Summoner
Assault: Warhawk

What we will probably actually get first, imo -

Light: Firemoth
Medium: Stormcrow
Heavy: Timber Wolf
Assault: Dire Wolf

#13 ilkhan

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Personally the mechs I think of first when it comes to "Clan omni" are listed below (I will list the name you freebirths give it in brackets so you can begin to understand what I am talking about)

Light:
Kit Fox (Uller) - Popular with Jade Falcon and fairly widespread.
Adder (Puma) - Every clanners favourite light mech.
Fire Moth (Dasher) - Might make the maps feel small with its top speed over 200kph

Medium:
Stormcrow (Ryoken) - not used much in the games (usually only in expansion packs), but a staple in the TT and the fiction.
Nova (Blackhawk) - Every clan has them but they have been out of production since 2921 so might be starting to get a bit rare.
I know there is also the Viper (Dragonfly) and the Ice Ferret (Fenris) but these don't imediately jump to my mind.

Heavy: There are a lot of famous ones in this category. In all likelyhood it wi
Mad Dog (Vulture) -Featured in the intro videos of MW2 and 3. "Because of its widespread production, most Clans maintain a large number of Mad Dogs in their toumans"-sarna.net
Hellbringer (Loki) - Another Jade Falcon favourite, not been the poster boy for anything yet though.
Summoner (Thor) - seen in the intro to both MW2 and MW3. Falconers love this mech.
Timberwolf (Madcat) - Let's face it, this mech is pretty much garunteed.
There are a lot of famous ones in this category. In all likelyhood it will be the Summoner and the Timberwolf if we only get 2.

Assault:
Warhawk (Masakari)
Dire Wolf (Daishi)

These two are very similar so we may not get both. Dire Wolf is probably more iconic. Executioner and Gargoyle might also feature but I'm not a fan of either.

#14 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostThe_Birdeater, on 29 January 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

Light Mech: Fire Moth (TRO 3050 / Designed by the Cloud Cobras in ?)
Medium Mech: Stormcrow (TRO 3050 / Designed by the Hell's Horses, Final version was introduced by the Snow Ravens in 2930)
Heavy Mech: Timber Wolf (TRO 3050 / Designed & introduced by the Wolves in 2945)
Assault Mech: Warhawk (TRO 3050 / Designed & introduced by the Smoke Jaguars in 2999)

I agree with this list, but I would have to say we should expect at least 10 Clan mech designs (1 Binary) since the IS will probably get 12 Designs (1 Company) before we start.

I would Definately add:
1. Adder
2. Blackhawk
3. Dragonfly
4. Summoner
5. Vulture
6. Daishi

These are all Iconic Clan mech designs from the initial invasion and should be expected IMHO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users