• LocationCanadastan

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Friendly fire should do 50% damage, and not be able to kill/crit an ally

#82 Ghostrider45

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationThibodaux La, 70301

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

What happens if you have a cumputer system that can shut down you weapons system if you a friendly in your shot not bad unless you enemy is useing an IFF jammer then you computer wont know who is freind and who is enemy it could shut your weapon down in a fire fight leaveing defencels to fieght back!!!!!!

#83 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostAlan Grant, on 02 March 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

We need friendly fire, because sometimes the enemy is too good, and to satisfy the mech rage building inside of you [which you can't vent on the uder skilled enemy] legging someone on your team just for the satisfaction is an important feature.

[Also handy if somehow a dev appears on your team, however unlikely it is. Just to say THANKYOU!!!! :ph34r: ]

If you vent frustration on your own teammates, then you have failed as a Mechwarrior. It is for this precise reason why the Devs are considering NOT putting FF into the game.

#84 Stovebolt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCotton Candy Skull Island, TX

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

As pain in the *** as it might be to implement, friendly fire I think is a must - it would add substantially to the tactical aspect of gameplay...it would reward teamwork more than it would hinder it, I think.

Please go with friendly fire, devs.

#85 BlackFlag

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'm too old to compete with kids these days, with their twitchy, Red Bull fueled reflexes.

Turn on FF tho, and suddenly its Twitchy McFastfingers who can't compete.

This is true for every online game I've ever played, and why I hope FF=ON in this game.

#86 Jumbik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Is there going to be any penalty for FF? If yes what about FF that I cannot avoid because I could not anticipated my friend in arms actions. For example I will shoot LRM at my target which is realy far but my "comrade" will get in the way from around a corner somewhere ...

Or is the only penalty the fact that I'm hampering my team by it? If yes, what will happen to the ones that do it on purpose? :ph34r:

#87 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Friendly Fire is currently enabled in our builds. The verdict is still out. It's mostly a pain when a cluster of people get together, you need to lay off the AOE weapons and use lasers/direct fire.

Holy shiat!

Im surprised you guys are actually even considering removing FF. I thought this was pretty much a given for any MW game.

I think people just need to restrain themselves and not use AoE when their friends are clustered up. Of course implement a system to kick/penalizes frequent FF/TKers.
But which AoE weapons are we talking about here? :ph34r: Never really saw a problem with FF from AoE damage n past MW games...except maybe longtoms.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 04 March 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#88 Saren21

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Think about it, If you enclude FF then you are prased for your games realisem but then you **** off another group becuase jerks will take advantage of FF to grief other players. Its finding a happy meduim is were the true challange is. Maybe have two diffrent game types one that has FF and one that has FF turned off. If you go in to a match were FF is turned on then you know what your getting in to. Maybe if you DMG a friendly your doc'ed C-bills and EXP and if you do it enought times you lose all exp and money and get a KOS for the next 3 games where the offender will not gain any EXP or C-bills for 3 matches and Friendly players can KOS with no penalty. Also what I meen by flaged its your account that gets flaged not just that mech so it you go around just change out mech that mech is flaged for KOS as well.

This will not stop people with two accounts but i think its a good start to help curb FF griefing.

P.S Also i think i would throw in a claus to have it were if your a "victum" of FF to meny times lets say more then 3 games in a row. The player who has done the FF can request a GM to review the FF clames agenst them. This way it will curb the players who want to stand infront of you and block your fire just to greif you.

Edited by Saren21, 04 March 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#89 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Greetings Gents!

As I see it, to over simplify things may please some, esp. the fast kids hoarding the net for new exciting toys, but MWO free to play is "money over time", not just lots of folks playing. They have to stay and enjoy Mechwarrior. We don't have to talk about realism here, we all know what's the real deal and more rewarding. The "kids" move on, get bored eventually, we stay, supporting this.

If I accidentally shoot a friendly, I apologize. Damn, this is war this is hell! :) I hope we keep FF in the game, its rewarding and fun to win with skill, not just fast reflexes.

S!

#90 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Friendly Fire is currently enabled in our builds. The verdict is still out. It's mostly a pain when a cluster of people get together, you need to lay off the AOE weapons and use lasers/direct fire.

Wait, seriously? I vote FF always on. Discourage cluster humping. I'm not in favor of being able to pound a mech thru a wall with AoE while my buddy on the other side of it brawls with him and receives nothing. This time around, I'd love to see an AoE circle on the ground as a "reticle" when firing a long tom as an estimated area of impact and effect.

#91 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

I don't think you can be taken seriously as a ''simulation" and not have friendly fire.

Should be a penalty though to prevent griefing.

In a mission i'd like to see something like the warnings you got in MW4. You get a couple "Hey watch it!" shots but after like 3 shots hitting friendlies your IFF changes to a valid enemy target and your former teammates get no penalty for killing you.

#92 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I feel like the simple "fix" for FF griefing would be...

Griefer get's charged for all damage caused after the round ends.

Each person who was damaged by FF recieves 2x the damage in C-Bills (to make sure that they made some profit, even if they died as soon as they spawned to some 12 year old with an atlas.

It wouldn't really be abusable because winning would give you a lot more than 2x your repair bill in C-bills.

Oh, and if you have stat tracking in game, please include a stat for "friendly fire damage" in terms of C-bills, and then people with above a certain percentage get that number displayed next to their name when they join a room. It's a public badge of shame thing and it works pretty well from what I've seen.

In league of legends, they have this system for people who leave games. If you leave a game here or there, no one will know, but if you get above a certain % of games left compared to total games, then your leaves get displayed in red under your name.

Edit: On 2nd thought, you'd probably have to charge the griefer 2x the repair cost as well, or you'd get situations where the match was already decided so everyone on a team would FF eachother to death to create some extra cash.

So yeah, My revised planis:
Griefer gets charged 2x the repair cost of the damage.
Griefee receives 2x his repair costs in C-bills (but still pays for his own damages, so it's like gaining money equal to your repair costs.

Edited by LackofCertainty, 04 March 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#93 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostSaren21, on 04 March 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

....becuase jerks will take advantage of FF to grief other players.....

That will always be the case. Griefers there will be, and plenty of them, if FF is on.

That's why it's best to join up and drop with a trustworthy group.....
=H=

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 04 March 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#94 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

"Bravo 2 do you have a lock?"
"Roger that Bravo 1, target is painted, bring the rain."
Bravo lance disengage repeat, disengage. We're gonna light him up."
"Alpha lance confirmed launch, storm coming Bravo."
"Check fire, check fire we still have units engaged!"
"Too late Bravo, birds in the air."
"Get out Bravo, get out!"
"Bravo....Bravo do you read?"

Yes, bring the friendly fire. It will keep us thinking. :)

#95 SeventhStriker

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

That would be the point. Modern tactics will not allow "danger close" fire unless that team specifically requests and that request is accepted.

#96 ChewySmokey

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWhere the Nova Cats roam.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'd be one happy mech jockey with friendly fire on, not just for "accidents" or realism, but because without it it can be abused a little. I cringe at the thought of things getting hairy with hardcore mech-on-mech action and then a sudden arty strike ravages Team A while Team B just prances through the mayhem.

As rare as it might happen to get that close to eachother, it would still be annoying and unfair.

#97 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostSeventhStriker, on 04 March 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

That would be the point. Modern tactics will not allow "danger close" fire unless that team specifically requests and that request is accepted.

"HellBase, this is Bravo Six, requesting Fire for Effect on my position, Over...."
"Bravo Six, this is HellBase, I require a signed Order to fire on that position, Over...."
"HellBase, THIS BRAVO SIX, BRING IT NOW!!!"
"Bravo Six, Hellbase cannot fire without a written directive from OverLord, Over..."
"ah crud***********line lost

When I yell, you better shell
=H=

#98 SeventhStriker

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

"HellBase, this is Bravo Six, requesting Fire for Effect on my position, Over...."
"Bravo Six, this is HellBase, AOE is danger close, over"
"HellBase, THIS IS BRAVO SIX, danger close acknowledge, bring the rain!"
"Bravo Six, Fire for effect confirmed, keep your heads down"

When I yell, you better shell (agreed)

More what I was thinking

#99 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

I for one am for the FF.We'll deal with it ,but I believe someone one who causes to much drama on the same team has to be dealed with some way.the only problem is ,they can either be the ones taking the damage on purpose to get you in trouble ,or be the ones shooting you and other memebers of the team,so there's two issue's that have to be dealed with. So most of it will be set complainign to the Dev's and getting them banned. However I can see the issue of you getting hit by them and getting a "Forgive or Backslap" vote a good idea.

#100 Tryg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Yes, if friendly fire is enabled, there will be griefers team-attacking just for the amusement of it. However, I would far and above prefer that to the use of team-mates as either fire-through shields or as a lock-down for air-strikes and what have you. As absolutely annoying as griefing is, I far prefer them to the "It's a valid tactic" folks who think just because a game mechanic /can/ be exploited, it /should/ be.

And yes, systems to regulate friendly fire in order to punish its intentional use are complicated to setup, but the extra effort is well worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users