#1 SK8 ZION

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

I have a question and I figured this might be the forum to ask it in.

I was looking up BattleTech novels, and the first one I have found listed anywhere is "Decision at Thunder Rift"

However I have also seen it as "Decision at Thunder Rift: 06" similar to how many of the other books have been numbered. Does this mean there are 5 other books that come before this one chronologically?

#2 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

No. "Decision at Thunder Rift" (good book BTW) is the first book of the Gray Death Saga. I'm thinking that the 06 meant that it was the 6th novel released. But the other 5 are not related, as far as I know.

#3 SK8 ZION

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

So what are the first five books? or at least what is the first book? Even if unrelated, I would like to start at the beginning.

#4 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have 34 BT novels... Plus 12 Mechwarrior novels... Plus a handful of MW: Dark Age

Decision at Thunder Rift is BT#6

Its vurtually impossible to find all the novels these days seeing as how they stopped publishing in '06. If you want to get them all, buy yourself an Amazon Kindle (or download the app to your smartphone or tablet P.C.). They are ALL there, as well as about twenty short stories in the BT universe written by the original authors.

#5 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

The first novel is Sword and Dagger. I can't remember the rest of the order though.

#6 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think from memory,

The Sword and the Dagger
Warrior trilogy
Wolves on the Border

All these novels are about the same time periods (3010-3030) but are not related as they take part in different places in the IS, so you can start anywhere, Grey Death Saga (3 books) is a great place to start anyway.

#7 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Sword and Dagger.

I saw a used copy on Amazon once for $120 and then a new one for over $400... if your determinded to read them all in order I'd suggest the kindle thing as well...

So miss my books... :)

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 14 August 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#8 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

$120 maybe I should consider selling my copy. Nah no way lol

#9 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

A Good List that is close to Chronological order. Please note that some fans of the series think that the Grey Death Trilogy should come first then read The Sword and the Dagger, followed by the Warrior Trilogy. I usually follow this list when I read them. I have the original 1st editions from back in the 80's so I've read them all more than a couple times :)

#10 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, copies of Sword and Dagger are ridiculously expensive on online. I've got three copies personally, just because when i found extra copies at a second hand book store in a two dollar soon to be thrown away bin my moral compass forced me to pick them up.

#11 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostGammadin, on 14 August 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yeah, copies of Sword and Dagger are ridiculously expensive on online. I've got three copies personally, just because when i found extra copies at a second hand book store in a two dollar soon to be thrown away bin my moral compass forced me to pick them up.

Good call man, good call.

#12 Kaarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationState of confusion

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostT Decker, on 14 August 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I have 34 BT novels... Plus 12 Mechwarrior novels... Plus a handful of MW: Dark Age

Its vurtually impossible to find all the novels these days seeing as how they stopped publishing in '06. If you want to get them all, buy yourself an Amazon Kindle (or download the app to your smartphone or tablet P.C.). They are ALL there, as well as about twenty short stories in the BT universe written by the original authors.

I have a kindle, and unfortunately all I can find on Amazon is the Dark Age novels and one or two latter books. I wish the series was available to read on there.

#13 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostGammadin, on 14 August 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Really? That's just crazy. Wish my luck was that good.

#14 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostT Decker, on 14 August 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Yeah, you can also haunt the used book store. I Have about 40 myself,I picked up 25 2 weeks ago there,I will be putting most of them up for sale on Amazon myself, but the shipping is a pain.Good luck!!

#15 SK8 ZION

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Right on, nice input everyone. I didn't even think of hitting up the used book stores yet.

#16 tekka

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Ah dam it...... was goig n to start a thread like this, any way there is a good wiki page i foufn that list the order of the battlech bookseris
(dam wicsh i knew how to do hyper text's) http://en.wikipedia....ttleTech_novels is where i go i have found it a great source esp as i am rebuildign my collection that my ex destroyed, yes she destroyed it and long with a whole heap of other thing's of mine includding my ccg set of battletech.

hope that helps u out mate

#17 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Posttekka, on 15 August 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Ah dam it...... was goig n to start a thread like this, any way there is a good wiki page i foufn that list the order of the battlech bookseris
(dam wicsh i knew how to do hyper text's) http://en.wikipedia....ttleTech_novels is where i go i have found it a great source esp as i am rebuildign my collection that my ex destroyed, yes she destroyed it and long with a whole heap of other thing's of mine includding my ccg set of battletech.

hope that helps u out mate

Wikipedia has the correct list of when the books were published, I double checked with the ones I own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users