Anyone use a rudder?

36 replies to this topic

#21 Hugh

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

I am patiently waiting for the day they fix joystick responses in this game. I'd be over joyed with huge amounts of glee to use my joystick and rubber pedals (torso twist) in this game. As it stands I am not handi-capping myself with a joysticks very poor performance.

Mouse +k/b for me. (for now)

#22 Ticlet

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

I have an x52 and the rudder works by twisting it to the right or the left, just map the function in the input section in the options menu. It works for me, just cant get the throttle to work correctly it is always reversed. but i learn to drive with it that way after some practice.

#23 Vagabond Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationKansas City, USA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

I have the CH FighterStick, CH Pro Throttle and CH Pro Pedals, and they worked like a dream in MW4.

Edited by Vagabond Nomad, 17 September 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#24 Dair Hammond

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yes I use a rudder pedal to turn with my feet, and use my x52 throttle for speed and the buttons do target selection and other things, but I use mouse to control the turret. This has been my setup for all MW games since MW2 mercs. Inability to get this setup working in MWLL is the main reason I never played it after a few days. I love this setup alot, would likely work just as well for using the Joystick to aim torso, but I'm not used to it so I don't use that method.

All this said I should say one thing, Turning is not Analog, so you will need to get used to pushing the pedals to 50% and then having your mech turn suddenly. I've posted a few times on this, and even sent a Gameplay ticket on this to the Dev's as being able to make smooth coordinated turns is a huge thing for me, as it stands now you will throw your aim when the turn starts. It's very sloppy, but I am sure it will be addressed in the future.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dair Hammond, 17 September 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#25 Landron

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

If you are looking to use them for torso control why not just use the rudder control that is built into the throttle. That is what I used back in MW4 and it worked well.

#26 Spoo Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

I use a HOTAS Cougar with Siatek combat pedals. The joystick is for aiming and the rudders are for steering. It takes a little getting used to, but works fine. As mentioned in many BattleTech stories the rudder's toe brakes are used for activating the jump jets.

#27 FR33JACK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Rudder to play MWO?
Yeah, I'm using rudder to push the keyboard and mouse buttons when I'm totally stoned...also to reach my beer glass and stuff xD

PS. And so to speak, the rudder from my real car. I occasionally rip it off from it...car...cause I'm so stoned and such xD

#28 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

I use Saitek Combat Flight Pedals, Warthog Throttle, and mouse. I think it's infinitely superior to keyboard and mouse. Tried using the joystick. It sucks compared to mouse.

Am toying (pun intended) with giving the Razer Hydra a go...

#29 Solothkar

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostSwiftfire, on 11 September 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

I'm hoping MWO does well enough for someone to manufacture a mech sim hotas/rudder set.

I'd pay good money for one specifically designed mechs.

look here:

http://www.engadget....hwarrior-onlin/

looks good, I think...

#30 voodoodoer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I would use mine, but it does not work in the game
heck my stick hardly works in the game

works in MW2/3/4 out of the box in win98, and yet it's a new flight system (g940)

Edited by voodoodoer, 18 September 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#31 Chanticrow

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

In the Virtual World pods the rudders controlled the mech's feet while the joystick controlled torso twist and aim. I was able to replicate this in MW3 and it worked incredibly well as a trainer for the pods.

I tried using rudders for torso twisting at one point, but I didn't have the finer control over the mech's aim that way. The rudders work much better as leg controls.

#32 Moogy

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hello guys

I have this at home.
http://www.threshold..._usb__73986.jpg

Do you know how to configure this in the game?

I tried yesterday... and I was going in circles...

Thanks for any help

#33 Zenner

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

my post seems to have been deleted...

I have rudder pedals for flight sims. I use the left toe brake for my throttle control, and the pedal sliding to control turning...

I mostly use the keyboard for turning though, but if I need to go hands free to type or something I can still keep moving and maneuvering.

The throttle is nice, but pedals are only moderately useful.

I've been considering trying the Razor Nostromo. I think it would probably be more effective for MWO.

Edited by Zenner, 12 December 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#34 Duatam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I use my Logitech G940 rudder + throttle with the game. Unfortunately the turning in MWO is digital only (on/off), so turning with rudder is a bit annoying. Hopefully PGI will fix this soon and allow us to have analog turning with joysticks/pedals.

Edited by Osmobot, 12 December 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#35 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postcoolname, on 18 September 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I use Saitek Combat Flight Pedals, Warthog Throttle, and mouse. I think it's infinitely superior to keyboard and mouse. Tried using the joystick. It sucks compared to mouse.

Ditto. Anyone know how to add a line in the user.cfg to increase the gain and sensitivity on the peddles?

#36 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostBurner, on 13 July 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

[/size]

Ditto. Anyone know how to add a line in the user.cfg to increase the gain and sensitivity on the peddles?

There does not appear to be a way to assign separate gains or sensitivities to multiple controllers in MWO configuration files. You would need to use some other software... either the profiling software that comes with your controllers, or a 3rd party application, such as http://atzitznet.dyn...use3/index.html

Edited by CyBerkut, 14 July 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#37 ConanTheGamer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostMalroth, on 16 August 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I play with my Racing wheel, honk the horn to Alpha strike.

And what happens when you leave your left blinker on?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users