LOSE THE FISTS!!!

202 replies to this topic

#1 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

If they add fists to any other mech they need to lose em. Fists are for Transformers, Not Frickin mechs

Edited by Kommunist Kodiak, 31 January 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

hunchback always had hands

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hunchback

#3 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

fisting is part of the game

#4 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 31 January 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

hunchback always had hands

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hunchback

This. Always.

#5 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

The Hunchback and Hunchback IIC have (canonically) always had hands.

Also, this... :D

Edited by Strum Wealh, 31 January 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Well, I didn't see em. sooo... sorry?

#7 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostKommunist Kodiak, on 31 January 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Well, I didn't see em. sooo... sorry?

no reason to apologize. its a common mistake due to the poor graphic representation of mechs with hands on previous video games. they were always ending in rectangles that people cant make out. hopefully MWO fixes that

#8 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

*sighs* know before you speak.. think before you know.. listen before you think. This [hands] topic needs to die, like a the Thor, in a ditch, covered in petrol and lit on fire...

#9 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Posted Image

they have always had hands since they were created, as industrial mechs; the hands originally served a purpose, but as of late 3020 era they are pretty much worthless ( In RL since there is no keyboard/game controller commands to use the hands) it's rather pointless now days

#10 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostOpus, on 31 January 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

they have always had hands since they were created, as industrial mechs; the hands originally served a purpose, but as of late 3020 era they are pretty much worthless ( In RL since there is no keyboard/game controller commands to use the hands) it's rather pointless now days

Exactly my point. Thank You

#11 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostOmigir, on 31 January 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

topic needs to die, like a the Thor, in a ditch, covered in petrol and lit on fire...

Sadly The Thor was in great condition, then it got back up. heheheheheh

Edited by Kommunist Kodiak, 31 January 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#12 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

This thread needs an
Posted Image

#13 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 31 January 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

This thread needs an
Posted Image

Sadly,this never happens

#14 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

In the TT, cut scenes and graphic writings it does.

Also hands pick up stuff like ammo and supplies.

#15 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostKommunist Kodiak, on 31 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

If they add fists to any other mech they need to lose em. Fists are for Transformers, Not Frickin mechs

I'm with ya. There's more than enough "artistic license" to redesign these mechs away from their BattleTech designs into designs that don't have fists/hands and still maintain key design cues which strongly suggest the chassis as being one in the same.

#16 tynaiden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

There are a great many factions in the Battletech -universe-. Just as there are factions of player preferences, there were varied 'mech styles based on each factions' historical influences, doctrines, and purposes. Also want to declare here that while I say "hands", it is not to solely talk about designs like our own flesh hands. Any number of devices were used from strictly symmetrical graspers to claws and opposable thumb hands throughout the Battletech timeline.

Battletech started as a deep table-top game with a great many ways to play beyond just pew pew walking tank shooter. Extended campaigns were one of the things that was fleshed out quite a bit as it had a following and 'mech with hands added great utility. They were in a fair number of designs for a fair number of reasons. Melee does happen. Even in our real world current era with all our sophisticated long range weaponry, personnel carry knives and learn hand to hand fighting techniques. Beyond melee implications (there were hand held weapons and even built in melee weapons in some designs), there are utility and military applications for hands on 'mechs [notice apostrophe, it is what makes them Battlemechs and not mecha].

With the table top game, 'mechs with hands had better mobility as they could climb up to different elevations or even up buildings along with get up from being prone much easier. They could also make crude structures for hiding themselves (been years since i've read advanced rules but IIRC there was also traps), use limbs from fallen 'mechs to assault others or for salvage, heck; even just pushing an opponent over without damaging their own systems.

There are even rules in the TT game that gave benefits and cons to all three styles of arms: hand articulated, half-weapon [no hands, weapon lower arm but also still an upper arm], and weapon-arms where all weapons and armor are directly mounted onto the shoulder joint (this one had rules to swivel arms up all the way to point backwards and fire)

Yes, people talk about Atlases picking up light 'mechs because it was doable within the table-top rules. Guess what else -- it was a viable tactic albeit rather situational. Clearing Elementals was a big concern for awhile because you cannot always get them at range. Considering how obvious the devs are wanting electronic warfare in this game, ambush tactics -will- be used and they could very well be at or very near melee range.

Hands could even go so far as to add other game types which require carrying an objective to another point.

In closing:
Push come to shove; this is not your game, it is all of ours -and- the devs. You may like the brute look of weapon arms, others may not. I personally like the look half weapon arms like the old Panther, Dragon, and Zues but have also had hands help turn the tide of a TT battle.

ps. If you think Battletech / Mechwarrior is just about shooting stuff and big explosions so therefore no need for hands or shielding armor, you may be looking forward to the wrong game. There's at least a couple hundred other shooters out there that may satisfy you more. You are still entitled to your own opinion just as I am offering mine here.

#17 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

After all the "do away with the necks/heads" cries, I suppose it was only a matter of time until someone would start campaigning against fists and arms. :P

Next thing we know somebody requests all legs to be replaced by wheels, "for military realism", lol

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's the Transformers that are catching the hate this time, though. Usually it's "anime", never mind that this isn't even a distinctive mecha style to begin with.

PS: that is an awesome image posted there!

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 31 January 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#18 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

"LOSE THE FISTS!!!"

No... and in fact.. just for that...

Spoiler

#19 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 31 January 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Next thing we know somebody requests all legs to be replaced by wheels, "for military realism",

PS: that is an awesome image posted there!

God, I hope not :P

#20 Kommunist Kodiak

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAround Sol III

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 31 January 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

"LOSE THE FISTS!!!"

No... and in fact.. just for that...

Spoiler

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

79 user(s) are reading this topic