22 replies to this topic

#1 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

For many who don't know the FRR has a huge hatred towards merc units. How do you think this should be handled in MWO? Should merc units get less rewards for being with the FRR until their loyalty is high enough to be someone accepted? Or just nearly outlawed all together (can't take FRR contracts unless its an FRR merc unit)

#2 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Good question; for some of us Merc units like the Skjalborg, we're already planning to dedicate our loyalty almost solely to the FRR anyways, so as long as the "real" FRR accepts our contracts, I don't think we'll care too much.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

i think it would be easier to just make the spawn rate for FRR contracts to be extremely rare. that would show the point that the FRR doesnt like mercs and it wouldnt penalize players for wanting to take as many contracts as possible.

Edited by Geist Null, 31 January 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#4 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

This is news to me...most of my Battletech time was spent on MW2: Mercenaries, so I am a merc fan. I decided on the FRR not knowing that they are anti mercenary, I am not sure what I will do with this knowledge...Why would the FRR even be anti-mercenary to begin with? Aren't most small start up nations big purchasers of mercenary services?

#5 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 31 January 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

This is news to me...most of my Battletech time was spent on MW2: Mercenaries, so I am a merc fan. I decided on the FRR not knowing that they are anti mercenary, I am not sure what I will do with this knowledge...Why would the FRR even be anti-mercenary to begin with? Aren't most small start up nations big purchasers of mercenary services?

Yes, but because of some poorly-worded contracts and general dishonesty on the part of certain Merc units during the Ronin War, the Republic got burned badly when they could least afford it. Left a bad taste in their mouths that persists to this day.

They do still use merc units, of course (the Kungsarme is still too small for them not to), but with a few exceptions they tend to be poorly regarded.

#6 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hmm, I dunno. Historically, Vikings raiders were formed into private companies which could be termed "mercenary", so I am lost as to what the game should do in regards to this particular piece of canon.

Edited by Alaskan Viking, 31 January 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#7 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 31 January 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

i think it would be easier to just make the spawn rate for FRR contracts to be extremely rare. that would show the point that the FRR doesnt like mercs and it wouldnt penalize players for wanting to take as many contracts as possible.

There are actually a bucketload of merc contracts available, since the KungsArmen is still newly formed and they have to rely on mercs (despite their distain for SOME mercs who fought to the letter of the contract instead of the intent) to deal with all the bandit activity up by the periphery. I don't think (99% sure) there will be any gameplay limitations at all, the most you'd get would be fluff.

Edited by Dihm, 01 February 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#8 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

I expect you will mostly see the FRR anti-Merc rhetoric in the way contracts are worded. However, I can also see where the loyalty points will play in to hiring 'mercs. Mercenary units with few loyalty points will probably pay handsomely for parts and munitions. As their loyalty points increase, and the FRR begins to warm towards the unit, contract remuneration will increase and the cost for parts and muntions will decrease.

#9 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

I think i agree with Dayuhan on this. Since it is an online game based on competitive factions it would be in bad taste to have certain factions favored more than others. So, unless there was some direct counterbalance, I think the bias against Merc units will remain mainly within the story telling elements rather than actual gameplay.

#10 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 31 January 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Simple answer: Huge cult of personality around war hero and chancellor Tor Miraborg, who was crippled fighting a merc unit in 3036 and has had a pathological hatred of mercenaries ever since. So even if it's in the FRR's best interest to use mercs, they avoid it because Tor doesn't like it.

On a slight tangent, there seems to be very little in BT canon that reflects democracy or sound governance (regardless of how factions are described), and instead most everything revolves around the whims of influential and largely unaccountable individuals, which does a nice job of keeping the I.S. a lively soap opera - and well, if it didn't, I guess none of us would have much to do, besides chase pirates!

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 23 February 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#11 THE 3rdbreed

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

@Alaskan Viking: You know, the Capellans have some great contracts avalible, in case your interested. We love mercenaries! (just ask the Northwind Highlanders, Eridani Lighthorses, McCarron's Armored Cavalry!)

#12 Rusted Knight

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 44 posts
  • LocationScappoose

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

hang'em i say!

#13 Fiaura The Tank Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I believe they should have to prove loyalty, put them on hardline missions and once a unit proves both useful and capable, they may get better contracts.

#14 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

View Postnatalia uchevnikov, on 03 March 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I believe they should have to prove loyalty, put them on hardline missions and once a unit proves both useful and capable, they may get better contracts.

I think that's how the dev's have explained it before. Theirs actually a game mechanic called loyalty points you earn with factions, getting loyalty in on faction will decrease it in others, stuff like that. Those Loyalty Points then open up rewards, I think stuff like certain mechs and better contracts.

#15 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

I would say the FRR would ONLY hire dedicated FRR mercenary units- any that are just normal mercs working for anyone they wouldn't trust.

#16 Argatson Krieghammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNot hiding in your closet

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

Throw them into the front lines of the meat grinder, with FRR units coming up behind them in case of treachery

#17 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostArgatson Krieghammer, on 09 March 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

Throw them into the front lines of the meat grinder, with FRR units coming up behind them in case of treachery

You do realize you're a merc right? :P

#18 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostDihm, on 09 March 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Posted ImageArgatson Krieghammer, on 09 March 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:
"Throw them into the front lines of the meat grinder, with FRR units coming up behind them in case of treachery"

You do realize you're a merc right? :P

Maybe he's a mas0chist? :D

Edited by Watchit, 09 March 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#19 Argatson Krieghammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNot hiding in your closet

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostDihm, on 09 March 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

You do realize you're a merc right? :)

I play dwarf fortress. My motto is "Losing is FUN"

#20 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostDihm, on 01 February 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

There are actually a bucketload of merc contracts available, since the KungsArmen is still newly formed and they have to rely on mercs (despite their distain for SOME mercs who fought to the letter of the contract instead of the intent) to deal with all the bandit activity up by the periphery. I don't think (99% sure) there will be any gameplay limitations at all, the most you'd get would be fluff.

I like fluff, and bandits are not so bad, after you destroy them. ;)

Edited by plodder, 17 March 2012 - 04:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users