"Masers" are Pulse Lasers using microwaves? Article here

5 replies to this topic

#1 The Last Blade

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

http://www.petridish...-communication/

Check out the end of the article where they say so far it only works in bursts using Microwaves.

MEDIUM PULSE LASERS IRL ANYONE? ONE DAY CLOSER TO REAL LIFE MECHS IMO

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Did someone say 'laser' and 'reallife'?

(Skip to 0:48 for the interesting stuff.)

Edited by Exilyth, 16 August 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#3 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

"'Masers' are Pulse Lasers using microwaves?"

No. Not at all.

Lasers (originally from the acronym "Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation") refers to devices that "emit light (electromagnetic radiation, specifically that in the infrared, visible, and ultraviolet frequencies) through a process of optical amplification based on the stimulated emission of photons".
Pulse lasers are a specific class of laser characterized by using a "pulsed" mode of operation rather than a "continuous wave" mode of operation.

The general idea of laser-beam weaponry is to hit a target with a train of brief pulses of light. The rapid evaporation and expansion of the surface causes shockwaves that damage the target.

-----

Lasers of all but the lowest powers can potentially be used as incapacitating weapons, through their ability to produce temporary or permanent vision loss in varying degrees when aimed at the eyes.

-----

The extreme handicap that laser-induced blindness represents makes the use of lasers even as non-lethal weapons morally controversial, and weapons designed to cause blindness have been banned by the Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons.

Masers (originally from the acronym "Microwave Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation") refers to devices that "produces coherent electromagnetic waves (generally in the microwave and radio frequencies) through amplification by stimulated emission".
In terms of directed-energy weapons (DEWs):

Microwave guns powerful enough to injure humans are possible:

Active Denial System is a millimeter wave source that heats the water in the target's skin and thus causes incapacitating pain. It is being used by the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory and Raytheon for riot-control duty. Though intended to cause severe pain while leaving no lasting damage, some concern has been voiced as to whether the system could cause irreversible damage to the eyes. There has yet to be testing for long-term side effects of exposure to the microwave beam.
It can also destroy unshielded electronics: see TEMPEST (research into unintended electronic release of information). The device comes in various sizes including attached to a humvee.

Vigilant Eagle is an airport defense system that directs high-frequency microwaves towards any projectile that is fired at an aircraft. The system consists of a missile–detecting and tracking subsystem (MDT), a command and control system, and a scanning array. The MDT is a fixed grid of passive infrared (IR) cameras. The command and control system determines the missile launch point. The scanning array projects microwaves that disrupt the surface-to-air missile's guidance system, deflecting it from the aircraft.

Bofors HPM Blackout is a high-powered microwave weapon system which is stated to be able to destroy at distance a wide variety of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) electronic equipment. It is stated to be not lethal to humans.

#4 The Last Blade

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostExilyth, on 16 August 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Did someone say 'laser' and 'reallife'?

I think my atlas needs a Laser AMS, I hate having to buy ammo and store it somewhere. Have it cost heat lol. Sometimes I feel the Inner Sphere is so behind tech... or is it just cuz I like Clan better lol.

Currently, NPL says the maser can only work in pulsed mode— more research will be needed to enable continuous operation.

this little excerpt is from the article I quoted, it's saying that Masers are an older tech that is currently being upgraded for more commercial use nowadays, but they can only run it in pulsed mode. Right now it seems Masers are used reliably only at room temp in pulsed mode. I'm sure in the not so far future they will use them in a beam sort of fashion just like Lasers, at least that's what they are hoping. They are saying Masers can reach farther into space due to a "cleaner" signal or "less noisy" signal.

#5 Deceptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationTrading my subscription for 40$ worth of overclocking accessories to meet minimum requirements (double heat sinks).

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hey! I like this. Probably a complete affront to canon (bla bla), no way to do real damage, but I think if you put a mech in a giant microwave you could probably get some equipment failure, right? Anyonybody for some more counterintelligence?

#6 Naelobo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Sad that they had to use an aimbot to hit those mortar rounds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users