Assault Role Name: Possible Confusion?

49 replies to this topic

Poll: Assault Role (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the name of the Assault Role be looked at for possible change?

1. Yes (28 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. No (29 votes [32.95%])

Percentage of vote: 32.95%

3. Don't Care (31 votes [35.23%])

Percentage of vote: 35.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 01 February 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

I think anyone smart enough to get the moderate learning curve of the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe will be smart and aware enough to understand that Assault role does not require/mean Assault mechs.

Just sayin.

Then again there's a few gigs where a band asks the soundman "Can you hear the bass?" and the soundman mistook it for either the bass/kick drum or some ungodly low rumbly noise.. not the bass guitar tones the band was referring to.

As a bass player I cry.

OP posted a valid question, and for the sake of clarity I vote for a change. Offense role, forward charge role, Leeroy Jenkins role..

#42 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

That's all well and good and I respect your right to have your own opinion even if mine is different...

"Billy Bob, you are Commander on this Op, Leroy Jenkins and I will be on Assault duty while Vincent runs Defense"

Not overly complicated.

In real world situations every guy on my truck knows exactly what I am talking about when/if I issue orders to "grab the 45" (do I mean hose? do I mean an old record player?) or "surround and drown" (offensive fire attack? defense perimeter attack? grab the patient and drown him in a bucket of water?) or "it's a defensive op" (cover exposures? protect in place? purchase a pack of trojans?) or even more confusing one of "it's a combo attack" (right hook + left hook? offensive + defensive fire ops? big mac with large fries and a coke?). It's all about training and how orders are issued. Poor commanders (in this case truck Captains or Platoon Chiefs) give poor orders then they wont last long in their jobs.

Since all these guys are part of the Grimm Reaper Company we all pretty much know what each other runs in terms of hardware and tactics. It's not overly complicated. Those that would require me explaining it to them multiple times I would encourage to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

Its just how I roll.

#43 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostSetzz, on 03 February 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Then again there's a few gigs where a band asks the soundman "Can you hear the bass?" and the soundman mistook it for either the bass/kick drum or some ungodly low rumbly noise.. not the bass guitar tones the band was referring to.

Interestingly I have stories from the other side of a similar nature :D Mid gig... "I'm not loud enough out front!" *pats hand* "There there, I'll sort it out." *Turns up Lead Guitarist on Fallback Monitors while maintaining perfect combination out front for the crowd*

That said, would be surprised by someone mistaking you on that account!

#44 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

I guess my question is, if it comes down to:

1) some people in some situations possibly being confused by the name,

or

2) No-one being confused by the names,

Why would we pick the first?

Edited by cobrafive, 03 February 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#45 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, how about "Striker"? We have strike lances, and they sure are for assaulting an objective, regardless of weight.

#46 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 03 February 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Well, how about "Striker"? We have strike lances, and they sure are for assaulting an objective, regardless of weight.

"Strike" isn't a bad designation at all..!! Dev's please consider?

Any other suggestions?

#47 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostZRO Zimm, on 03 February 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

Interestingly I have stories from the other side of a similar nature :o Mid gig... "I'm not loud enough out front!" *pats hand* "There there, I'll sort it out." *Turns up Lead Guitarist on Fallback Monitors while maintaining perfect combination out front for the crowd*

That said, would be surprised by someone mistaking you on that account!

This is by far the funniest thing I've read today and I'll have to show to my guitar players (all 3 of them). Kudos for you to stick to your guns and keeping a balanced sound for the crowd to listen to. =)

#48 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

While anyone remotely familiar with BattleTech would easily distinguish the difference between assault role and Assault 'Mech, I can actually see it leading to some confusion for newcomers. Especially those newer gamers who are so completely ADD they refuse to take more than 2 seconds to look at/study/read up on anything and expect to just jump in, guns blazing and be godlike (you all know at least one like that). So, to keep things simple, I'd change "assault" to "combat".

#49 Jimskiavic

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOn the 'Panoho'

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

+1 for "Striker". Though maybe that's just the Clanner in me coming out!

#50 Strattus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 106 posts
  • LocationKazakhstan

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostJimskiavic, on 03 February 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

+1 for "Striker". Though maybe that's just the Clanner in me coming out!

Won't there be the possibility for us to pilot a Striker (IS Assault Mech)? May still be confusing...

However, I voted for not caring.... This is a non-issue in my book. The Assault Role is simple and understandable, and there are plenty of ways for people to NOT be confused about this (like asking other players, googling, sarna, etc...)

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users