I'm curious about the Daishi

47 replies to this topic

#21 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

View Postrorik jorgensson, on 18 August 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

Good gosh! What did they do to prometheus?!?! It looks like it shoots garbage cans or urbies out of those guns!

This one is much better...
Posted Image

*found a better picture

I always liked Prometheus in that pic, but the weird little 'mech, to the right, shooting at him made me wonder how much of a hurry the artist was in to get this thing done

Edited by tyrone dunkirk, 18 August 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#22 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

The Timber Wolf with jump jets is much more curious! :)

#23 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

@tyrone dunkirk I think that mech in the corner is a hoplite. If it is then I am not sure that there's an artist alive that can make it look decent. (it's a mech that actually looks better than it performs, that is not saying much)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hoplite

Edited by rorik jorgensson, 18 August 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#24 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

If that's a Hoplite, then it's an EXCEPTIONALLY crappy one.

And that's saying something.

#25 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that -that- art is from the republishing of the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy.

Original art for Blood Legacy was this:
Posted Image

I actually found this and Lethal Heritage in a local used bookstore and my collectors habit took over. ;)

#26 GreyTemplar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 18 August 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Leave it to Davion to put rocket engines on a mech backwards.
Posted Image

In defense of the Davion, Wolf's Dragoons(iirc) configured this for Victor. :P so clanner mercs put them on backwards.

Edited by GreyTemplar, 18 August 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#27 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

View Posttyrone dunkirk, on 18 August 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

If that's a Hoplite, then it's an EXCEPTIONALLY crappy one.

And that's saying something.

It could be a king crab, what with the 2 "eyes" above a long solid horizontal stripe....
Here's the KGC-000 from sarna

Posted Image

#28 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Postrorik jorgensson, on 18 August 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

It could be a king crab, what with the 2 "eyes" above a long solid horizontal stripe....

Posted Image

Naw just looking at that ima haft to disagree, its def a horrible randition of the dire wolf.

#29 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostDamocles, on 18 August 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that -that- art is from the republishing of the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy.

Original art for Blood Legacy was this:
Posted Image

I actually found this and Lethal Heritage in a local used bookstore and my collectors habit took over. :huh:

I have that edition! I actually have the whole trilogy in that series of paperback, the original I assume.

#30 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostSkadi, on 18 August 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Naw just looking at that ima haft to disagree, its def a horrible randition of the dire wolf.

We're talking about that ugly white mech down and to the right of Prometheus (the dire wolf belonging to Victor Steiner-Davion) on the "Storms of Fate" cover. Unless you're yanking my chain. Then I have to say thatmy copy has the old cover that mercifully has the 80's looking DC warriors standing around.

#31 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Stackpole wrote the novel before the TRO came out (and by extension the artwork.) Further, the Daishi was one of the last Clan omnis to be designed (it was not one of the original Mk.1s.) As is often the case, authors are given a lot of room for artistic license, and as such it is likely all he had go on was a loose description from the developers (possibly something like, "It's like an Atlas but with three times as much fire power.")

Even worse, artists for the novels are often employed by the book publishers and not the Battletech developers, so the quality/accuracy of the covers might be off (and sometimes waaaaay off.) No worries though, we know what a Dire Wolf looks like.

And yes, the reprint novel's cover is hideous.

Edited by Sychodemus, 21 August 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#32 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

View Posttyrone dunkirk, on 18 August 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

I always liked Prometheus in that pic, but the weird little 'mech, to the right, shooting at him made me wonder how much of a hurry the artist was in to get this thing done

A Berserker and a King Crab
well readers of the books should knew both mechs....

#33 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostSychodemus, on 21 August 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

Stackpole wrote the novel before the TRO came out (and by extension the artwork.) Further, the Daishi was one of the last Clan omnis to be designed (it was not one of the original Mk.1s.) As is often the case, authors are given a lot of room for artistic license, and as such it is likely all he had go on was a loose description from the developers (possibly something like, "It's like an Atlas but with three times as much fire power.")

Even worse, artists for the novels are often employed by the book publishers and not the Battletech developers, so the quality/accuracy of the covers might be off (and sometimes waaaaay off.) No worries though, we know what a Dire Wolf looks like.

And yes, the reprint novel's cover is hideous.

The Mk Is have been stated to be a fan creation by the writers- no actual copy of the supposed magazine has ever shown up to my knowledge, and when FASA closed down, all their original papers were gone through by the writers.

A card with the original 20 Clans was there- (Clan Fox, Clan Tiger, Clan Wolf, Clan Coyote etc.) from the early-mid 80s.

But no Mk Is.

Stackpole wrote the Trilogy under a very tight deadline, and to say it was rushed was an understatement. Miscommunication happens- for example, Cyrila says that there is 600 Bloodnames (not 803), Vlad's Executioner configuration breaks the rules, and Phelan takes a Clan ER PPC to the cockpit which seems to act like a regular PPC damage wise (blows out the armour and damages the cockpit internals but leaves him and the cockpit still working)

What's worse? Look at the original Strom Crow artwork of the Prime which features missle racks.
Except the Prime doesn't have any missles.

Sure, the 'Mk Is' would explain why it has missles in the artwork- but doesn't explain any of the other issues, mistakes, and contradictions from those days. (Ever looked at the original Solaris VII 'mechs? They violate basic construction rules)

Having artwork that doesn't match the stats doesn't need an elaborate reason- someone drawing fifteen missles in a Timber Wolf's launcher instead of twenty because it looks better asthetically makes lot more sense than 'nerfing the Clans' at the last minute.

Especially as they forgot to include the minimum range for the LRMs in the original printing of the rules, and the Clan LRMs have been just as dangerous ever since.

#34 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've never seen the supposed magazine either and have never claimed to. But what I call MK. 1s were simply playtest versions (I know this because I got trounced by some of them before the novel was released.) Whatever their source, some kind of precursor OmniMechs did exist and physical details are almost always the last touch. I didn't envision a Black Hawk as the squat boxy critter that it is known for today, rather I saw it as a Hunchback/Crusader hybrid without the shoulder gun and with Popeye-like forearms for its two batteries of lasers.

The point remains that Stackpole was given a lot of leeway when writing the Blood of Kerensky trilogy; and that two different writers will have two different takes and you definitely cannot rely on artwork to be consistent or faithful to the writing. For anyone who has worked with (or will work with) game designers, writers and artists it is simply easier (and understood) that you give them a framework and a few requirements and let them sort it out from there. And mistakes will be made. There is a reason why canon starts with "most recent rulebook" and everything else is secondary.

Missteps and their consequences are part of what makes Battletech what it is. We just accept it (sometimes grudgingly) and move on.

#35 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 21 August 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

A Berserker and a King Crab
well readers of the books should knew both mechs....

I read the series from the Warrior Trilogy up to the end of that particular Civil War arc, but that thing never occured to me as a Hoplite, because the only art I've seen of the Hoplite is misshapen and aweful, and most 'mechs after TRO 3050 are even goofier and stupid looking than 3025-3050 ( even through Nostalgia glasses )

There were some pretty good opportunities for good art in the later TROs but instead they all look cartoony and stupid.

#36 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 18 August 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Leave it to Davion to put rocket engines on a mech backwards.
Posted Image

Thats not a Davion logo

its the Federated Commonwealth

Posted Image

#37 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

View Postrorik jorgensson, on 18 August 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

I think you're right; that mech in the back, you can't even see a torso for it because the torso is hidden from the viewer by the angle. All you can see is some spindly, ugly legs, a smiley face, and the guns.

#38 cso dak

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

That mech behind Prometheus is a Maelstrom. The other one is a Berserker. I believe the text in the novel even confirms this (but didn't verify that myself).

Dak

#39 Rattach Osis

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

The Daishi (dire wolf if my memorie is good) is a smoke jaguar omni right? Commonwealth use this mech?

Edited by Rattach Osis, 10 November 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#40 Xeren KelDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 190 posts
  • LocationNAIS

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostRattach Osis, on 10 November 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

The Daishi (dire wolf if my memorie is good) is a smoke jaguar omni right? Commonwealth use this mech?

The Dire Wolf with a Federated Commonwealth logo is the Prometheous, the personal mech of Victor Ian Steiner-Davion. It was given to him by Wolf's Dragoons after Kai Allard Liao turned it down. The Federated Commonwealth doesn't build/field Dire Wolves, but Victor pilots one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users