Targeting and you...

2 replies to this topic

#1 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

So, by the time MW:O is released it will have been around 10 years since MW4:Mercs launched. Much has changed in gaming and I feel some FPS gaming mechanics can help a new MW game feel more like Battletech. The two biggest mechanics I would like to see implanted into a new MW game are movement based targeting penalties and an enlarged aimpont. If you are familiar with most "realistic" FPS from the past decade you are already used to both of these.

For me, one of the first examples of an enlarged aim point is the old Halo1 Assault Rifle. Its targeting area was an inch or two wide, any one bullet could hit anywhere in the circle, you had no control over that. Imagine a mechwarrior game where your targeting reticle was the size of a 'mech, any shot could anywhere. You would miss a bunch, not because you sucked, but because the shot went low and the lower 1/2 of your targeting circle is mostly air and fast moving legs. While this would mimic the imprecise aiming of normal combat in the table-top this is a bit too inaccurate to not be frustrating. It would have to be tighter, maybe the size of a 'mechs torso at 600 meters(given LRMs go to 1km). This would give enough control to reliably hit, but not enough to reliably hit specific zones over and over again until you closed into close quarters. It would make legging much harder, but not impossible and would encourage players to aim for the center of mass.

One of the most important choices you make in the table-top version is choosing your movement mode. You must weigh a faster or more convenient method of travel versus a higher chance you might miss your target once you get there. This is something I want to be constantly thinking about in game, bring 'mech piloting decisions into the firing mix. Make it feel like I am juggling entire 65 ton war machine, not just managing heat and reload cycles. This is where movement based targeting penalties comes in.

For an example, say you are standing still, target is around medium range. You could more or less aim at the upper body, or the legs and hit that area with confidence, your targeting reticle is about the size of their torso at this range. The faster you move, the larger your targeting reticle gets. At 60% (CBT Walk speed) it is still possible to put shots on either the upper half or lower half. At full speed, you are better off aiming for center of mass at this range as your reticle is now about the size of the entire target, and even larger if you are jumping.

Mechwarrior has many potential methods it could use for targeting from simple (like MW2-4) to insanely complex (user customized convergence zones per range bracket) but they must find a balance that works for both the new player and the pure-sim heads(I would personally like to see a Steel Battalion setup) and these two mechanics are basic and well established enough that I think they should be essential to any new mechwarrior game. What are your ideas on how targeting should be implemented? Keep in mind it has to give equal advantage for both mouse/keyboard users and joystick users(looking at you MW3 floating reticle)

#2 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

A thread on this already exists: http://mwomercs.com/...on-convergence/

Edited by theforce, 01 November 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#3 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

Opps sorry

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users