Not mechwarrior but I wanted to show it off

7 replies to this topic

#1 OddBawl

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi, first post in this forum. I've been lurking here a while and wanted to show off. This is a mech I'm working on in Blender. 70 Tons, missile pod, 50MM cannon, 105MM cannon, and high intensity laser (not shown yet). It also has jump jets.Posted Image

Posted Image

whaddya think? No, it's not mechwarrior and no it's not finished.

Oddbawl

#2 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Pretty sweet looking so far bro. What program did you use to make this? Solidworks?

#3 OddBawl

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks. I'm using Blender 2.61. The render engine is Cycles.

#4 Hindenburg

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Really nice job with that! I noticed that the open cylinder on the back of the lower gun has no thickness to the sides. Also, I noticed that the shadow on the underside of the shoulder panel has artifacts in it. I haven't had a chance to work with the render information myself so I don't know if it's the render engine or your render settings.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

So what is that then ... an LRM-10, AC/2 and an AC/5? Or AC/5 and AC/10? And a high-intensity laser? Hmmm. Large laser?

We need more views of this 'Mech:
1. Full front.
2. Full rear.
3. Right side.
4. Left side.

Modifications that I would perform if I could do models like this:
1. Needs some armor for the front of the torso-twist area.
2. Needs some armor for the front of the hip joints.
3. Needs some armor for the back of the knee joints. Mount a curved plate coming up from the lower leg.
4. Needs some armor for the front of the ankle joints. Mount a plate to the front of each foot cylinder.
5. Needs some armor for the sides of the ankle joints. Mount plates loosely hanging from each side of the lower leg.
6. Cut the arm armor plate off even with the lower cannon, or fold the armor plate inward to cover the bottom of the cannon.
7. Looks weird with the long 'pipe' connecting the weapon pod with the torso. Modifying the arm armor plate as suggested in (6) would allow you to bring that weapon pod in closer to the torso to match the missile pod.
8. The torso-twist of this 'Mech is extremely limited. It should go 90º in both directions. Modify the lower half of the backpack (jump jet pack?) to accomplish this.

...or just ignore what I posted and continue on the way you are. You've done a good job. It already looks like those plastic models of the Robotech mecha they had quite a few years back.

#6 Waylandx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 273 posts
  • LocationAt the computer!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

That looks great! I cant wait to see it colored.

#7 OddBawl

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the crits and comments. As far as the cannons go, the model is still a WIP. That empty cylinder is the auto-feed loader mechanism. I'll put in the back as I go along. The upper cannon isn't finished either. Some of that is still place holders.

@Durant Carlyle - this isn't a Battletech mech at all. The missile pod holds 12 missiles (either 2 flights of 6 or launched singly) with armor piercing heads for anti-mech warfare. The lower cannon is a 50 MM cannon with a rate of fire of 10 rounds per second. The upper cannon is the equivalent of a 105MM howitzer but with shorter range. There will be a laser inboard of the missile pod, mounted high on the arm.

As far as the torso twist, I determined about 45 degrees to either side before coming in contact with the legs.

I've given some thought to the placement of amor. For one thing, I don't like beefing up the mech so it can safely run away. The heavier armor in back is to shield the power packs above the torso jump jets. I want the pilot only turning around to go home when the fight is over.

I agree that the joints are a tad unprotected, but they are small and hopefully, with its firepower, it won't give an opponent time to make a surgical strike against those locations ;)

#8 OddBawl

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

Oh, yeah. The model was rendered with blender's new "Cycles" render engine. I guess it's what you call an unbiased render... It will keep sharpening up the image until the power goes out or you are satisfied. I just cut it off at around 800 passes and the darker places under that shield are still sort of sparkly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users