"Totem" Mechs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

So I've been slugging around on Sarna wasting my time before work as always and came across Totem Mechs.
I think this would be relevant to MWO since there's been so much talk of what starting mechs would be available to players based off what faction they use. Many people think of the Jagermech as being the House Davion version of a Totem Mech, just as the Hatamoto-Chi is for the Draconis Combine and the Dragon before it. The Merlin could be an exclusive starter for lone wolves and mercenary companies to show that they may have use of resources outside the main Houses.

My question is, do people think this would be a good idea to follow when the Clans come about? For example the Kodiak is pretty much a Clan Ghost Bear design exclusively and as much as everyone would want to pilot one, in cannon you wouldn't see Smoke Jaguars or Nova Cats stomping around in them. They'd be driving things like Cauldron-Borns and Shadow Cats respectively (although later on the Shadow Cat spread to other clans due to it's effectiveness, but that's beside the point.)

I hope this brings about good discussion so I have stuff to read when I get back from work, which I'd better get going to. :D

#2 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Why not? The Ebon Jaguar, for an example, could be a nice "Startermech" for the Smoke Jaguars!

#3 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Some of the Totems were sweet like the Kodiak or at least omni mechs with some totem aspects like the Ebon Jaguar, but most of the Dark Ages Totems are terrible. They suffer from more form than function syndrom and stand out glaringly when lined up against classic mech designs.

#4 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

hmmm i like the idea of totem mechs, but i also like to have equal access, the devs have stated that there going to use equal acess. but price may vary, so it would probably be best to try and limit other factions from gaining access to totem mechs by doubleing there price.or limiting there avaliability on other markets

View PostMilitantMonk, on 03 February 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Some of the Totems were sweet like the Kodiak or at least omni mechs with some totem aspects like the Ebon Jaguar, but most of the Dark Ages Totems are terrible. They suffer from more form than function syndrom and stand out glaringly when lined up against classic mech designs.

i have toa gree with the DA totem mechs good job there years away :D

Edited by Kodiak Jorgensson, 03 February 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#5 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

In principal the notion of a totem 'mech isn't terrible but I'm not a fan. Besides, I don't expect anything after the 3050 TRO for a couple years after release.

#6 seanash67

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

I have played BattleTech for 25 years so I know alittle about background of the game.Yes Ghost Bears did create the Kodiak but they have fought the other clans from time to time and Kodiaks would have changed hands.i think that the cost will vary from clan to clan.Now for I.S mechs some houses make certain models more than the other houses or not at all for example the Dragon is exculsive to house Kurita meaning they are the only house in the entire innersphere that make that mech.Now most of the houses maufacture the Marauder but at differant amounts and variants

#7 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Some of the totems are from beyond the timeline of the game, and thus probably won't show up. At least not until nearly a decade has passed.

#8 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I actually like the idea of having availability for all with the prices varying. Something like in Forza how you can say you want to play out of the European continent and pay more for Japanese or American cars and so on. I just think that Innerspheresmen shouldn't get clan mechs except through salvage. Then maybe there'd be a high trade value on pulse lasers and the like, or you could pay money to drop in lower quality of weaponry that you could find on the open market. It could be fun to see a short period of "Clanbuster" mechs pop up at the beginning of the clan invasion.

#9 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Most of them just look silly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users