Starting Mechs

13 replies to this topic

#1 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

How have the developers sorted out our initial mechs in game?

It appears we are investing XP on a specific mech to perform our role, therefore locking in your choice of mech seems very much a vital part at the onset of our campaign?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

#2 Gravaar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCentral Queensland, Australia

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

I am not sure but I think the xp is class specific not individual mech specific, the pilot skill tree will allow you to purchase modules that are fitted to individual mech chassis

#3 Star Ranger

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

I like this idea being klan omni pilot is one of my favorite thing bring on the madcat

#4 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

I am hoping for a wide variety of mechs available at start, but due to the nature of how exp works, I like the idea that as we pilot a mech we get better at that mech to the exclusion of others.

That said, I want multiple character slots so I can have a pilot of each role if I want.
Hoping the exp thing instead of allowing mechlab like previous MW games, allows for upgrades into new varients of the same mech. So if you have been toying around in a stock Locust for a month, you finally earned enough exp to "buy" one of the varients allowing you to switch between weapon systems that way. Meanwhile since its just a varient of the same chassis, you still have all the earned benefits from the previous mech.

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

@Star Ranger Clans won't be introduced until a year or so after launch, and not sure if they will be playable right away or not, just FYI.

As to mech XP, it is per chassis. You then spend it on that mechs "Tech Tree" to increase your potential with that mech chassis. Along the way, this unlocks Pilot XP which you spend on the pilot's Tech Tree to unlock modules you can buy in the c-bill store that will work on any mech. (as I understand it, YMMV)

As to starting mechs, a buddy of mine and I came up with an idea. Assuming repairs are part of the pilot's responsibility, have each character start with a huge stack of c-bills that they can use to buy a mech. Make it enough to purchase up to a Heavy if it's a faction preferred mech and thus qualifies for a discount and you are happy with the stock variant. Of course this means you have very little left for repairs so good luck! If you buy a light mech, then you should have plenty left over for repairs or even a replacement mech.

Even if repairs aren't part of the player's responsibility, ie the Merc Corp/House pays for it, this could still work for LWs, and Mercs/House players could have a similar system of "reputation" allowing them to requisition a replacement mech etc.

#6 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

6 great houses. guess 3 for each @ light, med, heavy for 18. 1 assault per house = 24. then throw in 6 rare skin money purchase mechs for a total of 30 starting mechs. add a few more as different content becomes available every 6 months to a year. the stuff i look forward to the most is the technology updates. ultra autocannons purr like sex kittens imo

#7 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

I hope the available number of 'Mechs per weight category somewhat follows a bell curve. Mediums and heavies are the most frequently used chassis anyways... so they should also count for more than 50% of the 'Mechs at release.

What I could imagine as well is, that the devs will take the peculiarities of the houses and high profile merc units into account. This way it is guaranteed that Steiner will lead more assaults into battle than any other house, whereas Liao will have the fastest and stealthiest 'Mechs, and the peculiar feel of each faction is accounted for.

#8 Star Ranger

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

yes i was alittle off my time line but was new to this and wanted to get in on some of the action should of done more patient reading than posting

#9 zverofaust

• 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostKael Tropheus, on 03 February 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

That said, I want multiple character slots so I can have a pilot of each role if I want.

I don't think this is going to be Eve Online where you'd need to spend 15 years to level all the various skills available.

#10 100mile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

I am hoping for a wide variety of mechs available at start, but due to the nature of how exp works, I like the idea that as we pilot a mech we get better at that mech to the exclusion of others.

Hoping the exp thing instead of allowing mechlab like previous MW games, allows for upgrades into new varients of the same mech. So if you have been toying around in a stock Locust for a month, you finally earned enough exp to "buy" one of the varients allowing you to switch between weapon systems that way. Meanwhile since its just a varient of the same chassis, you still have all the earned benefits from the previous mech.

Opinion only...but i dont think you can have multiple character slots...believe it was covered in the role playing blog...but agree with and think you have it about right on everything else...

#11 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Maybe lances could be set up by max tonnage..?

Means that groups will have to juggle for balance in their initial lance/company set ups.

The idea of a fixed amount for Lone Wolves to balance their purchase/repair budgets.

#12 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Yeah so with the amount of XP and C-Bills you will earn, you can have a choice of "many mechs but slower upgrades" or "less mechs but upgrade a lot quicker".

#13 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostEl Loco, on 05 February 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I hope the available number of 'Mechs per weight category somewhat follows a bell curve. Mediums and heavies are the most frequently used chassis anyways... so they should also count for more than 50% of the 'Mechs at release.

What I could imagine as well is, that the devs will take the peculiarities of the houses and high profile merc units into account. This way it is guaranteed that Steiner will lead more assaults into battle than any other house, whereas Liao will have the fastest and stealthiest 'Mechs, and the peculiar feel of each faction is accounted for.

Could not have said it better myself.

#14 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postzverofaust, on 05 February 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

I don't think this is going to be Eve Online where you'd need to spend 15 years to level all the various skills available.

I hope they do make it Eve-ish in that certain skills take real time to train

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users