#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Okay...

I admit it, I can't walk into a Mech bay and just whip my Myomer bundle out and offload coolant when other Mechwarriors are watching. ;)

That said, I wonder if there will be some sort of off-line training concession made for the discreet Mechwarrior who might want to figure out the proper way to grip their joystick or manipulate their throttle quadrant before they embarrass themselves on the battlefield?

Not expecting any sort of Mech-on-Mech loving but maybe some sort of Boot-camp'esk something so we all don't look like a bunch of cherries on the first day... :D

#2 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, US

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

That is one hell of a creepy and off putting way of asking a serious question.

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

There will probably be some sort of training mode or simulator for us pilots to familiarize ourselves with the various weaponry and equipment as well as different 'Mech types/classes.

#4 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

The current plan is to have hints and tips for your first few games "and/or a set of welcome to the game videos." -Paul

#5 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

i'd be pleased with even basic operations. wouldnt expect much more than that. the push is to play with actual people and not your Myomer bundle.

#6 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostRoh, on 03 February 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

That is one hell of a creepy and off putting way of asking a serious question.

Tongue-in-cheek humor is not everyones cup of tea and as such not always understood or appreciated. That said, if you found this post offensive and off-putting... Mea culpa and my apologies.

Edited by DaZur, 03 February 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#7 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEverywhere at once.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

You can always download Mechwarrior 4 Mercs Mektek. It is free, although I will say it prob will not have the same feel when MWO releases.
It will however get you ready to things like torso turn, aiming, timing, jumpjets and similar things. I play it often on gameranger and many of the warriors who use gameranger are friendly and will offer advice as well.

#8 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 February 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

The current plan is to have hints and tips for your first few games "and/or a set of welcome to the game videos." -Paul

Translation: no

Apparently I am wrong in this translation (see Paul's post below).

Edited by Mason Grimm, 03 February 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#9 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

I thought it was funny. I certainly hope there is a basic training course that is offline for basic piloting and gunnery practice. No real benefit except practice without being attacked or screwing up the effort.

That was my problem with BF3, no training location where you could practice flying and shooting aircraft and such. You had to learn the hard way on the field where everyone has smartass comments and no real advice. Plus they demand you not fly the aircraft since they only spawn every so often.

#10 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

PvE, why do we hate thee so?

(cause you make us no $)

*sniffs* goodbye old friend, you never laughed when I accidentally got lost during training mission 1 (even though it's guided)...and had to reboot...I'll miss you.

I can see it now, working late one night in the mech bay and *jumps* cheebus DaZur! how long you been standing there staring at me..

/creepy

:D

Edited by Kaemon, 03 February 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#11 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 03 February 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Translation: no

Translation: WRONG

It's going to be very important for us to have something for the new in-experienced players of MechWarrior Online. A lot of people are going to be disoriented by torso twist itself and it's going to be up to us to help alleviate that situation. So yes, there will be something. What exactly, that's for us to know and you guys to speculate on.

#12 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

The 'Pink Thunder' strikes again with knowledge of the mechgods and creators themselves...

It will be a focus on the Dev team to make sure players get a good walk-through and schooling so not to be slaughtered and not enjoy the experience.

#13 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Well to get your feet wet "so to say", if you have zero experience, go to Meknet and get Mech 4 mercs, and run the story line, and Solaris gigs...

that will get you function for MW online hopefully

http://www.mektek.net/

#14 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 February 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

It's going to be very important for us to have something for the new in-experienced players of MechWarrior Online. A lot of people are going to be disoriented by torso twist itself and it's going to be up to us to help alleviate that situation. So yes, there will be something. What exactly, that's for us to know and you guys to speculate on.

I think they're going to have the hula girl on your dashboard talk to you and give you piloting tips.

#15 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostDaZur, on 03 February 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Okay...

I admit it, I can't walk into a Mech bay and just whip my Myomer bundle out and offload coolant when other Mechwarriors are watching. ;)

That said, I wonder if there will be some sort of off-line training concession made for the discreet Mechwarrior who might want to figure out the proper way to grip their joystick or manipulate their throttle quadrant before they embarrass themselves on the battlefield?

Not expecting any sort of Mech-on-Mech loving but maybe some sort of Boot-camp'esk something so we all don't look like a bunch of cherries on the first day... :D

ROFLOL.............spit beer all over my screen

#16 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Now i'm just waiting for the circa 1954 ,black and white , movie reel " You and your mech" educational video. In case of LRM or artillery barrage "duck-n-cover"!

#17 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostBlane, on 03 February 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Now i'm just waiting for the circa 1954 ,black and white , movie reel " You and your mech" educational video. In case of LRM or artillery barrage "duck-n-cover"!

new color edition titled: Blood on the Battlefield...

#18 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm hoping for something starcraft 2 ish. Where they had the challenges that basically taught you important game concepts by setting up contrived scenerios that where only beatable if you mastered (or at least got proficient with) some specific game concept. And the challenges got harder as you went on.

I dont remember the total number of challenges off hand but i liked how it reinforced more than just basic controls.

#19 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 February 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

So yes, there will be something. What exactly, that's for us to know and you guys to speculate on.

A simple flat plain with a few targets set up would suffice for many, I would think. Being able to test joystick button mapping without worrying that an AC/20 is about to mess me up is something I'd like to see at a minimum.

#20 Mad Mage

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationGalveston, Texas

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 February 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

You mean videos like this?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users