Collector's Edition

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Collector's Edition (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you purchase a Collector's Edition for MWO?

1. Yes! (44 votes [88.00%])

Percentage of vote: 88.00%

2. No! (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

If yes, what kind?

1. Digital only (Access to online artbook/digital extras) (4 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

2. Digital with an Art Book (Hardback art book mailed to you, possible digital extras) (1 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

3. Super Edition (Game on discs, Hardback art book, Urbanmech statue, digital extras) (31 votes [62.00%])

Percentage of vote: 62.00%

4. Anything that lets me throw money at Piranha Games! (9 votes [18.00%])

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

5. None. (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

How much would you be willing to spend on a Collector's Edition?

1. $5 - $20 (Industry Arcade Game Price) (2 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

2. $20 - $50 (Industry Online Average Price) (3 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

3. $50 - $60 (Industry Retail Price) (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

4. $60 - $80 (Industry Collector's Edition Price) (18 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

5. $80 - $150 (Industry Legendary Edition Price) (9 votes [18.00%])

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

6. $150 - $?? (Holy Asteroid how much money do you have!?) (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

7. None. (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to put it out there again just to make sure it took (A forum search only turned up a beta access thread, which is silly): I'd like to be able to purchase a surefire "Collector's Edition" of MWO when it releases.

There are several possible ways to do this, but all copies should come with some customization extras that can't be purchased in game:

Digital only - Grants access to online extras like making of, dev interviews, high resolution art, etc.

Digital with an artbook - The above with a physical, nice quality hard back art book

Legit Collector's Edition - Physical copies of the game discs, hard back art book, and little Atlas / Catapult / something statue to put on your desk

If you would be willing to purchase a Collector's Edition, please tell me why! I'd like the devs to see this and be able to predict if it is financially feasable for them to do it (are enough of us willing to throw money at them before release).

Edited by Tsen Shang, 04 February 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#2 Outlaw Wolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationStatus: Classified

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Definitely would like to see a Collector's Edition boasting some developers artwork, a good soundtrack, possibly a desktop display as mentioned (Atlas / Catapult both sound like good choices imo).

As far as the digital items go, some additional paint schemes for our mechs, or access to special modules or additional items we could add to our cockpit's for some additional "personality". So many things I can think of that would make it totally awsome (hula girl anyone???)

Please Dev's, make this happen :D

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

I voted yes, for around $60.

#4 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I voted no and the poll would not register my vote unless I did something in the other two, which, if the answer is "no" in the first question, I cannot answer.

I cry foul on this poll and find it's resultant findings unscientific

#5 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

Important note, that this Collector's Edition must be available for every region. Plus I don't want Urbie miniature :*(, I don't smoke and don't need ashtray, can we get instead figurine of a 'Mech please :o ? Preferable option is to select from variety of 'Mechs.

#6 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Probably not if it's just artwork. I gotta get it shipped to Australia which would undoubtedly add to the cost. I would pay for pre-order 'Mechs, equipment, or other ingame items depending on the freemium model etc etc.

#7 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

Can't see it happening; the whole point of digital distribution is to keep publishing costs down.

That said, a nice art book would be fantastic.

#8 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

I would love to see some a limited batch of Special Edition. I always love them, I like to collect those things. PLUS WE NEED A ART BOOK DUE TO FD!

#9 Undead

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

Great idea, but only if it comes with the Urbie statue! :o

edit -- or a hula girl, a real one.

Edited by Undead, 04 February 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#10 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

I've added categories for those who wouldn't buy a collector's edition, I didn't know all polls had to be answered, sorry. Vote now!

#11 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

If MWO is as good as I expect from how it's been treated thus far I would actually welcome the chance to throw some money Piranha's way, if I got a little something in game that'd be a nice touch.

#12 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

Interesting poll trend so far, I'm actually a bit surprised how many people really want a "hardcopy" on disk of the game/client.Didn't expect that kind of percentage. :D

#13 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

indeed this is a good idea. life time membership choice in there some where?

#14 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

well the hard copy choice is loaded with an urbanmech

#15 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I put a hardcopy with some sort of model just for the hell of it. MMOs of any genre are worthless to get on discs just because it's an ever changing game. I understand it would be better for those people who have limited internet, but if you have limited internet, you're going to be paying quite a bit more anyway, so I didn't feel a need to make yet another option.

#16 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Even though MW is my all-time favorite game IP, I'm not into the whole "Collector's Edition"

If buying things in a game that produces content continually has taught me anything it's that "Content comes out at premium price" and that "Buyer Beware, because content you get now, could be made to be less desirable by content that comes out later, especially if the latter cannot be used in conjunction with what you got earlier"

Because of that, I would be more interested in purchasing a Collector's edition if it entitled you to, say, an indefinite 15% discount for purchases made on the game at all times. That would entice me to put so much money up front especially if it came with a "Game Store C-Bill Credit".

IE, "MechWarrior Online Collectors Edition - $74.99" - Comes with 15% discount in store and 25,000,000 C-Bill Bonus. (example)

#17 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Yes I would buy a Collectors Edition.
I want the game physically on disc, and maybe some cool stuff thrown in physical or in-game.
I would pay $60-$80 for this, to help the game and to help myself. Trashcan-Mech statue in the most heroic pose possible, please. ;)

#18 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yes but...

I know you kids like yer new fangled digitized content and what not, but I just don't care for a special skin or hat or whatever.

I want a real hat. A T-Shirt, a Mech for the Mantle, a Cloth Map, an Art Book, All the mechwarriors on a 14GB flash drive in the shape of Hula girl. Tangilble, real things. I don't need to "collect" things on "the cloud".

#19 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 06 February 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Yes but...

I know you kids like yer new fangled digitized content and what not, but I just don't care for a special skin or hat or whatever.

I want a real hat. A T-Shirt, a Mech for the Mantle, a Cloth Map, an Art Book, All the mechwarriors on a 14GB flash drive in the shape of Hula girl. Tangilble, real things. I don't need to "collect" things on "the cloud".

I like your thinking!

#20 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hm... this leads me to wonder...

Since they already have the 3D renders of the 'Mechs for the game... I wonder what it would cost for them to contract out to someplace that does 3D rapid prototyping and have scale models of all of the 'Mechs built. If they could get a decent enough price on a bulk order, and we could get solid ordering figures for them... and either ship them raw or pre-painted (for an additional charge, of course)...

*goes to do some research*

Edit:
Did some poking. Shapeways.com allows for custom 3D work, and someone actually already has some 'Mechs up there:
Wildcat: http://www.shapeways.com/model/213839/
Black Heart: http://www.shapeways.com/model/211721/
Jenner JR7-X: http://www.shapeways.com/model/234569/

Not the greatest, but not bad at all. Likely other places that could do it better, and cheaper, but... *shrugs* It's a start!

Edited by DarkTreader, 06 February 2012 - 06:00 PM.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users