Stopover on Solaris (Open RP)

20 replies to this topic

#1 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

((This is a open RP thread to kinda get everyone to know characters and factions and backstories, setting it on Solaris, no cetain place just some random bar in the International Zone, RP only here, no guns, no mechs no God-modding, if you don't know that that is then don't post, try and keep it in timeframe, it is Inner Sphere 3049 there are no clans yet.))

Shal Myan Xu, woke quickly from her restless sleep as the dropship she was on touched down on the surface of Solaris VII, rubbing her eyes now awake from the landing, she tossed a pillow over her head only to hear the intercom system on the dropship going off. "This is Leftenant Carson, to all Fedcom and St. Ives forces on the dropship Asimov. We will be stoping here on Solaris VII to resupply and recharge, before returning to FedCom space, if you wish to disembark from the Asimov you may do so, with permission from your commanding officer, all personel need to be back on vessel at oh-nine hundred febuary 6th 3049. That is all."

Shal tried to go back to sleep this point but failed, doing a few months of training drills with the FedComs and a long way from home made her seek some kind of normality, she got out of bed in nothing but her piloting shorts and a sports bra and poked her bunkmate snoring loudly, and got no response. We could be dead and she still would not wake up. She sighed softly, and put on her jumpsuit white with blue highlighting and the patch of the 1st St. Ives Lancers on her shoulder, and a credit chit in her pocket. She made her way to dembarkaction and nodded and smiled as she went through all the checks and balances to disembark. She walked down the Tarmac of the spaceport and was once more scanned by Solaris security, once satisfied she made her way to the rental port.

She tossed her credit chit to an old man of Capellan orgins, renting out motorbikes, and helmets. "Save my card number in your system, your property will be returned or paid for." She told the man in Cantonese. The old man handed her credit chit back and smiled.

"Celsitial Wisdom watch over you." The old man replied.

Shal Myan grinned looking at the old man with her jade Capellan eyes, pulling her raven black into the riding helmet. "I doubt very much that will happen old man, but may the blessings of the sun come upon you your family." She said in Cantonese as she started the sports bike and rode off to the international district of Solaris. Now just to find a good rice wine and good food without too many nut jobs.

Skilled with a motercycle she drove around town a bit, parking the bike between two cars, possibly illeagaly, with one wheel on the sidewalk, but she had the C-Bills and could afford a fine if needed, she walked into what seemed to be a local's bar, not too flashy, and not too trashy either. She walked up to the bar not really thinking of what other people though of her, but noticed some people voices got softer seeing someone of clear Capellan descent walking into thier car, even wearing a FedCom/St. Ives jumpsuit. She waved down the bartender, Lyran if she had to wager a guess.

"I want a shot of something strong, and a glass of something sweet, make it happen." She smiled at him with a twinkle in her eye and a 50 C-Bill note on the counter.

#2 Xake

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationThe Rift (MICHIGAN)

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

"Crossbone ...................... Crossbone ....................................... CROSSBONE!"

The big man snapped his focus to the woman using his new and as yet unfamiliar call sign. He sighed inwardly as he recognized the look on Little Mommas face. "You're doing that thing again", she said.
"What thing?", he rumbled, although he already knew the answer.
Little Mommas nose scrunched up as she broke into her crooked grin. "That thing where you're looking off into nowhere smiling like a crazy person ... What are you thinking about now?"
This brought up a chuckle from the merc. He shook his head and stood up with a quickness that belied his size. "I'm thinking it's time for another round!" he said.

The other two occupants at the table ceased the endless debate they were engaged in ... again. Fortunato and Packrat, the epitome of complete opposites both physically and mentally, stared at him as if he had suddenly sprouted a third eye and wings.

Packrat broke the silence first. "Man, you worry me sometimes. The barmaid was here just a minute ago and already took our order. You even nodded when she asked you if you wanted a refill!" The perpetual sneer on his face was maddening to everyone, especially his best friend Fortunato.

"You seem to forget Packrat, the Captain has a lot on his mind lately", Fortunato said, "Why I'll bet right now he's contemplating how to replace the weakest link in this lance with some one less ... tedious." He made no effort to hide the fact that the insult was targeted at the small, dishevelled mouselike man. This of course set the pair upon a journey through a world of insults ranging from mothers to personal hygiene, and causing Little Momma to roll her eyes.

Crossbone stood beaming at his three lancemates. The barmaid appeared just as the arguments crescendo was peaking. "Thank Blake you're here", he boomed, "now maybe these two will shut up for a second!"

This caused everyone in the small bar to look over nervously at the loud and raucous table, which made the mercenary unit break into laughter.

Still standing over his fellow mechwarriors, Crossbone raised the glass of cheap whiskey. "Here's to you my friends," he solemnly said, "here's to Troop 13."

At that, the four mercs raised their glasses and downed the shots.

'Yeah' Crossbone thought, 'this is gonna be a good team.'

#3 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, England

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Paul Andor stepped into the spaceport, his new mechs had arrived, The Vulkaneer's 3rd lance he thought to himself as looked over the Assortment of heavy mechs standing in front of him. 3 mechpilots he had brought with him from outreach stood, He turned to them, "I suppose you wonder why i let you order your own mechs and why were on Solaris. Consider this your trial, You each had 10 million C-Bills to buy these mechs. For our next contract we need to depart in 2 months, And did I forget to mention I want my money back." The Rookie pilots looked at eachother with a confused and paniced look. "A dropship will depart from this spaceport in 2 months. These battlemechs belong to the Vulkaneers. If you fail to make the required amount you will be getting on anothership minus a battlemech straight back to Outreach"
Paul stopped talking and began to laugh to himself. The pilots just stood there speechless
"What are you waiting for... GO!!!"

The three men ran to there mechs. A Warhammer, a Black Knight and a Katapult each of them franticly checking there systems and loadouts.

"Ive hired a mechlab and placed an event table in the lab. You chose which ones you enter" Paul yelled to them " The adress to the lab is in the cockpit of your mechs."
Paul turned to a man standing in the shadows. "Im counting on you to stop them" he said. It cost alot to transport your Rifleman all the way here. After this you are to releive my lance on Barcelona. Your going to be undermanned as I need your Lance for the next contract. Its the biggest one weve ever had but dont worry we have an escape clause in place this time if our homes attacked we can leave. However I will only enact this if you say you need the help" Will stepped out from the shadows. Dont worry I wont make it easy for them, And ill be fine. I survived Bonete didnt I"
Paul laughed "cocky as ever i see. Just prepare your mech. These Rookies are so green they dont even know your my second in command. Go to the mech lab with them and act like another rookie. You will need to find out what they have signed up for. Im gonna do some training with my lance. So see you in 2 months. Keep me updated i want weekly reports on their progress"
"Ive got it old man See you later, try not to keel over on me"
Paul walked off Grinning at the cheek of his nephew.

Will turned to the Rifleman and moved to greet his old friend. It was already perfect he needed no modifications. He turned to a worker at the port. "Can someone transport my mech to this adress?" The worker waved to a nearby transporter who promptly drove over.

"that'll be 1000 C-Bills" Will smiled and handed over the money. Will looked around. One of the mechs was already gone and the others were trying to get transporters to get them to the lab. His Rifleman was lowered onto the transport and Will got in the passenger side. They departed as soon as possible and after 15 minutes of driving they arrived. Will Tipped the driver 100 C-Bills for his trouble and looked around the mech lab. The Katapult was already here and 2 Large lasers had been removed. The pilot was nowhere to be seen probably looking for parts. Will knew today would be preparation for the rookies and as he needed none he left in search for a bar to wind down.

He entered the bar and took a seat. He opened a file he had with him. It was the records of the 3 pilots he was watching over. He ordered a pint of the houses finest and began to research his new 'friends'

#4 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

Shal Myan took the shot in her hand lifted it up smelling it, taking in the familiar aroma, looking at the barkeep with a watchful eye. "50-C-Bills is not going to cover the cost of a 30 year old shot of Rice Baijiu." The barkeep nodded to her not saying a word, as he went to deal with the requests of other guests, but Shal though nothing of it as she slammed back the shot of warmed liquid, bracing herself for a slight bit of pain from the rice fermented liquor, but found it smooth and pleasant, until she inhaled feeling the heat in her throat, and then smiled at the bartender sipping her Lyran Reisling. "You are a evil man, and send the rowdy table over there a round of the same thing you just gave me. They seem fun."

She tossed her credit chit to the Barkeep. "Might as well run me a tab, I have 40 hours." She tossed back another shot of the Baijiu, and leaned back enjoying the R&R.

#5 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Draco had just arrived on planet, he wasn't sure what had drawn him here, but he hoped that it would be better than his last arrangement. He still remembered his last fight against Steiner, he was called a, a Guardian Angel of his lance, hence his new callsign, Guardian. Draco shook his head to get rid of the memory. He looked out across the city, and decided to head to the nearest mech bay to rent a garage, as he hoped that working on his mech would clear his mind. Then one of his pilots stepped up behind him.
"Hey, you alright?"
"Yes, just, can't get it out of my head,"
"Hey, nobody blames you, you did your best. Dylan would of been proud,"
Draco shook his head again, it was his inability, his decision that had cost them his mentor's life. He had not seen the advance of the Steiner mechs, and it had cost him. Dylan had taken the AC20 in the head, to cover Draco, and he still couldn't shake the feeling of guilt, that it was his failure. Draco looked at a nearby transport, and asked to have his mech transported to the nearest mech bay, and then got into the transport. Once inside he talked to the owner and got several bays rented for the week. He paid with his credit chit, and added a 200 c-bill tip. The old man smiled and thanked the Dragoon. Draco nodded and took his chit, and walked to the Mechbay. He found his Warhammer waiting for him, and smiled as he looked at it. He had seen so much action with this one mech, it was the mech that he had gotten as a birthday present from Jaime himself. He named it Wolf Bane, and had gotten many kills with it. He looked around and found a table with small note on it. It was from Jaime. He was an old man now, but he was here and wanted to see him upstairs. Draco walked upstairs, and found the door. He opened and expected to find Jaime alone with maybe one of his bodyguards, but instead he found Commander Natasha with him. Draco saluted, and Jaime waved at him to be at ease.
"Draconis, sit,"
"Yes sir, why did you want to see me,"
Natasha spoke,
"In light of your recent actions, Jaime and I have come to a decision,"
Draco prepared to be dismissed for his actions on on Tharkad
"We have seen the after action reports, and due to your previous valor, and actions in the field. We'd like to extend an unofficial invitation to join Clan Wolf,"
WHAT?!?!
Draco didn't understand, who was this Clan Wolf? Where were they from? Draco looked quizzically at Jaime, and he looked back, his eyes were hardened. He was serious, Draco didn't know what to say, so he just figured that he would accept it.
"I would be honored, but what is Clan Wolf?"
"It will be explained in due time, here," Natasha handed him a data disk,
"All the information needed to explain this is on this disk. And Draco, Dylan was the one that recommended you, his words were that 'you were the damnest pilot that he'd ever trained, fought with, and I know that he would bring naught but honor and glory to the Clans name'. He was extremely proud to be your teacher, as we all were. We knew that our teaching would culminate to form a great warrior, we just needed to bide our time to give you the combat experience that you would need. Trothkin, I salute you,"
Jaime saluted, and Draco returned it, then Jaime left the room. Natasha stood and extended her hand. Draco took it, and they shook.
"Where are you headed?"
"I'm needed by the clan, you need to take care of Jaime, and the rest of us here. Shield of Kerensky, I was honored to be a teacher, may we see each other again, as friends, not as officers,"
Draco saw a tear begin to develop, and he knew that she was still hurting from Joshua's death.
"Natasha, I was honored to serve under you, may you lead the Wolf's to victory against whomever their foes be,"
The tear quickly disappeared, and Draco knew that the glimpse of emotion he had seen from her was over. Draco took a step back, and saluted his former commander. She returned it, and then left the room. Draco grabbed the data disk and went downstairs into the garage, and set about his task. He was relieved that now he didn't feel as guilty, he now knew that the only way to make things right, would be to make himself stronger, and more able to command. Draco started to look over the data, and selected the first section at the top....

Edited by guardian wolf, 07 February 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

@Guardian...its 3049 in the Inner Sphere, no clans yet in case you missed the OP's post... -.-;

(Intentionally short to leave room for beginning interaction with others)

Mautty "Bobcat" Koray walked around Solaris' streets, crowded as they were, itching to try to make his fortune as so many other hotshot arena jockeys failed to. He was by no means a rookie pilot, but he was nowhere close to seasoned either. His blood ran hot and his trigger finger hotter while riding in the seat. By seat, he meant what everyone like him knew by the name of home, the cockpit of a Battlemech, the home of a Mechwarrior.

Unfortunately...he was currently without possession of his own and had to find someone that was either selling a junker cheap that he could hopefully scrape by in, or someone dumb enough to trust him to pilot it for them. He was hoping it would be the second, as that would allow him to hold onto the meager amount of C-bills that he had stashed away in his pocket. Unfortunately luck wasn't on his side today and he'd walked nearly half of the city. He was tired, deflated, and most of all, thirsty; which made that bar across the street seem quite conveniently placed. Not only would he be able to grab something cold he hoped, but maybe this next stop would bring some fortune his way.

Edited by Mautty the Bobcat, 09 February 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#7 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

@Mautty the Bobcat... I know it's 3049 in the inner sphere, and I'm about to post my character's official bio in this section, but this is where he got his unofficial invitation to clan Wolf, as Jaime, and Natasha were still members at the time, will reply in private convo as well.

#8 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

@guardian, yea your entire post's story just severely confuses me. Cause I could swear there were no clanners in the IS before invading, plus I've never heard of a freebirth being invited into a clan pre/during invasion. @_@

#9 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

@Mautty the Bobcat. Guardians character is a wolfs dragoon who where clan scouts originating from clan wolf

#10 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

@ Mautty the Bobcat It was a part of my just now released bio, before Dylan, his old CO died, as Dylan was from Clan Wolf, he had recommended he be brought into Clan Wolf, at a later date. And the time between the recommendation and his unofficial "invitation" was the amount of time that Jaime, and Natasha spent thinking about it, as Draco, again and again, proved that he was definitely an able warrior, and commander.

#11 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Okay, thanks Sloth, I was completely unaware of that. I never delved into the clans that much, I just know the basics.

#12 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

It's K, I also just posted my character's bio

#13 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

Draco looked up from the screen, he had finished reading the first set of sections, and was now to the battle mech portion of the info. He started up the simulator, and ran a simulation on each, diagnosing the problems, and looking over possible solutions. Draco learned fast how to deal with advanced tech, and then found similarities between mechs, and ways to integrate an inner sphere cockpit with downed Clan mechs, though the procedure was difficult. Draco immediately started to run the simulations on that portion. He stared intently at the data flying past him, he finished the simulation in a half hour. Draco then stopped the simulation, took the data module, and placed it into his pocket. He then shut down the computer, and set to get working on his Warhammer, Wolf Fang.

#14 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Will looked up from his files to inspect his surroundings, Solaris seemed alien to him, since he joined the Vulkaneers hed spent almost all his time training in some far out outpost on a contract or back at the base maintaining his Rifleman. He wasnt a party person, he loved mechs more than anything he could think of, well other than that one thing he thought to himself as he caught a glimpse of a Capellan woman sitting at the bar. He smiled to himself and continued to inspect his surroundings. He may be a Davion and fought many contracts against the Capellans but he had nothing against them, unlike the Dracs... His thoughts were interupted as he saw a man across the bar. He was a Vulkaneer. A member of his lance, 'what the hell was he doing here' Nathan Annison his 2nd in command was sitting watching a TV in the corner of the room. Nathan waved him over and Will obliged happy to see his friend but confused as to why he was here.

Will took a seat next to him. Nathan looked both glad and concerned. "before you say anything Will the base is guarded your uncle hired other mercs to defend it, Kinda ironic actualy"
"but why are you here?"
"Rest and Relaxation... Your uncle ordered us here just after you left, we arrived last night. My Marauder is in a hanger down the street"
"Your Marauders here? What are you planning?
"Not what im planning its what your uncles planning..."
"My Uncle.."
Nathan Gestured at the TV , Will recoiled in suprise almost spilling his drink. A competition listing was on the screen. 16 teams each consisting of a Lance of Mechs. The voice blared from the TV "3 last minute entrys have been made by the Vulkaneers mercanary unit. Lance 1:
Nathan Annison - Marauder
Tom Sheriden - Wolfhound
Ben Sheriden - Panther
Laura Dodds - Victor

Lance 2:
Will Andor - Rifleman
Logan 'Lugz' Goodrum - Warhammer
Stephen McSweeney - Katapult
Mathew McKenzie - Black Knight

Lance 3:
Paul Andor - JagerMech
Joshua Griffin - Enforcer
Joe Cooke - Hunchback
Ollie Hamelijnck - Vindicator

Will froze "What the hell is he doing only one lance will survive... At most... We will lose all our mechs"

"The Prize Money is 100,000,000 C-Bills. We could afford 4 new lances with that money. That and I think he wants the competition"

" OK i can understand the motive, after all Paul never was convetional. So the 1st game is next month and the games follow at week long intervals, 4 games in total"

"Yep. Ive got to go, Im meeting someone about a gauss rifle for my Marauder." Nathan grinned and went to leave "Oh and winning lance gets 10% of Winnings" Nathan threw on his coat and left through the front door.

Will leant back in his seat still in shock "BARTENDER!!!" he yelled "I think i need another drink. And it may need to be a little stronger"
He placed his head in his hands and began to laugh at the stupidity of his situation.

#15 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

OOC: Sloth, is that a tournament or big deathmatch? I'd like to join for the giggles. Just don't render my 'Mechs too inoperable :( Assuming this is fine by the OP of course? I'm assuming we're going to do the match in PMs and give highlights here. It fits into my existing background, so I figure why not mix it up a little?

"So let me get this straight, you want to enter the full company of 'Mechs we have into this competition." Szadowsz stared deadpan at him across the table, his vodka and coke still hovering halfway to his mouth where he'd frozen a several moments before.
"That's what I said." Spear sat back in his chair and took a sip of his ale.
"The full company of 'Mechs, which by my count is twelve 'Mechs, for which we have just two pilots for here."
"Yep."
"In teams of one lance. So three teams. Which will be fighting each other."
"Aye."
Szadowsz finally took a sip of his drink, paused and then shot the lot, to which Spear tilted his head slightly and grinned, clapping slowly. "Alright, enlighten me."
"We recruit."
Szadowsz let his head drop. "I got that, you jack*ss, I meant tell me how you plan to hire ten mercs to your standards in two days when you couldn't do it in a month on Outreach, and prevent them from stabbing us in the back."
"Simple. We don't ask for recruits, we put out a contract. Ten freelance Mechwarriors required to fill temporary and short notice vacancies due to a standing contract, details need to know you understand, that has left us short. In order to avoid forfeiting the deposit and continue, we have chosen to open a short term contract...and so on. Choosing from lone wolf 'Warriors who have experience in the draft matches and working with new faces and players. If we like them, we offer them a spot after, same deal as we're making on Outreach."
"You're insane."
"But it'll work."
"Aegis'll kill you."
"Only if it doesn't work."
"It's on your head."
"She is not going to be happy, you know."
"Stop saying that. Listen. Narrow it down. One lance. Let's lower the odds of backstabs and bullshit. Worst to the worst, we have eight 'Mechs intact to use, recoup the losses."
"Does mean we only need two. More plausible. Alright, no vacancies due to contract...due to..."
The two men thought for a second before Spear snapped his fingers. "Personal reasons. Undisclosed. Hint at a less than clean background just discovered."
"That'd work, and scare them off if they aren't."
"So you're in."
"...Dammit. Alright. But this better work."
Spear winked. "It'll work!" Leaning back in his chair, he draped one arm over the back and bellowed cheerfully. "Attention the pub! Do we have any freelance 'Mechwarriors in here?"

Edited by RogueSpear, 14 February 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#16 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Will was taking a swig of his drink when he heard the announcment, The alcohol laden liquid was quickly back in the glass as Will spat it out in suprise "Sp.. Spear" he said quietly to himself in shock. It seemed that everyone hed ever met or lived on Bonette was converging on Solaris, first his uncle then his lance and now Spear... Something was going on. Will was about to get up, when a man who had been in the bar for no more than 5 minutes approached him, Obviously a free lance looking for a mech.

Spear obviously had forgotern him or hadnt noticed him, the latter more likley as Will had saved the mans life back on Bonette. Out of Curiosity Will got up and took a seat on the table next to Spear. Back turned to him of course, he wanted to know what Spear was upto here on Solaris.

#17 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Draco was a bit hungery, and since he had just finished working on the Warhammer, he decided to go to a nearby pub. He walked outside when he noticed a Catapult with a color scheme... that was vaguely familiar.
"What the hell?" Draco muttered
He decided to go into the bar, and see if he could hunt down some more info on this. Draco started walking towards the bar. He got inside, when he looked around, he saw activity, most notably everyone was talking about the upcoming matches in the ring. Then Draco noticed something odd, it was a man, he seemed, familiar, and he was obviously eavesdropping. Draco decided to shake things up a little, and took a seat next to him. The man was obviously surprised and quickly asked.
"Was this reserved?"
"Nope, didn't figure you'd recognize me, after all the hell we went through on Bonette... Will,"
He looked like he hadn't even been surprised, but Draco wasn't one to take things at face value, and he noticed all the signs that every spook shows when he's surprised.
"You miss me, kid?"
Draco started laughing at that, as he remembered when he first mistook this man for a green rookie.

Edited by guardian wolf, 15 February 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#18 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Draco... Ok im dreaming, this definatly isnt happening.
Will turned to see Spear still hadnt noticed him or Draco. Draco took a seat next to Will.
"OK WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE" Will sounded angry
"What?"
"So far today i have hapened across my Uncle from Bonette, My best friend and 2nd command of my lance Nathan, From Bonette, You from Bonette and if you havnt already noticed, behind us is Spear, from oh i cant remember"
"Bonette?"
"Thats the place" Wills tone had calmed and Spear was to busy talking to the freelance to notice them "anyway whilst im trying to figure out why hes here tell me your story..."

#19 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

it mever fails. Hauptmann Lina Thoren sighed as she slid out of the luxury hovercar, motioning for the driver to get lost until she sent for him again. Though a bit pricey on Solaris, renting a town car seemed a prudent gesture. The Grafina von Dundalk was a heavy drinker, especially when she was upset or annoyed; any vehicle she drove herself was likely to end up wrapped around a pole in short order.

And she was particularly aggravated this evening.

Having finally completed a long, boring tour consisting of writing training materials, walking new recruits through their paces, and for the most part piloting nothing more dangerous than a desk, at long last she was to be restored to a combat unit this June. To decompress beforehand, she'd called in a few favors and arranged for several months of leave, starting with a trip to Solaris VII. At the time she put in the request, she'd been assured that, our of respect for her many years of service to the Lyran State Command of the AFFC (and before that, to the LCAF), she would be left alone during her break. But no sooner than she set foot on the planet, looking forward to weeks of nothing even remotely resembling work, she found a note waiting for her in her hotel suite: "While you're on-planet, would you mind doing us a small favor...?"

Lina decided, once again, that agreeing to work for the Lyran Intelligence Corps on the side was the biggest mistake of her life. While they at least respected her refusal to do wet-work, they had a way of butting into her life at the most inconvenient times. Now, she was to spend her evening in a luxury box at the Steiner Coliseum, working her way closer to a Lyran nobleman suspected of selling secrets to House Marik. But first. she was determined to have some fun at least, by hitting a bar she'd discovered a few days before. The fight that everyone was gathering at the Coliseum to see wasn't until later, anyway.

She stepped through the door, slipping off her Tharkadian gazelle-fur coat and handing it off to the doorman, revealing a loose, cowl-necked sweater and a flattering pair of designer jeams. Apart from her short height and her reddish-brown skin. she looked (thanks to a bit of plastic surgery) for all the world like any young Lyran noblewoman enjoying a night on the town...except for her hair. She kept her bleached-blonde locks in the traditional Lyran Mechwarrior's style: shaved bald at the top and at two points on the rear of her head, in order to interface with the balance sensors of the lighter Lyran-style.neurohelmet, with two braids pulled forward, framing the sides of her face. (OOC: Example here.) While male Mechwarrior wannabes frequently copied this style, few women did so if they could help it, suggesting that she was the real thing.

Lina made her way to the bar, with that graceful stride that veteran Mechwarriors often affected unconsciously, noting the Asian features and the rearing-horse patch on the jumpsuit of the young lady on the stool next to her. Giving her a smile by way of greeting, she waved the bartender over, noting the recently-finished glass of Riesling.

"I'll have some of that, if you don't mind," she said. Her tone was polite enough, but it carried the air of one who was used to being obeyed.

Edited by Lina Thoren, 16 February 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#20 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

"Well, since Bonette, I've been having a run of trouble, mostly with Steiner,"

Will placed his elbows on the table and looked to listen intently.

"My unit was moved back to outreach, and we then went onto some small time contracts, as some minor R&R . That's when we got the message. It was from another unit, on another contract with Steiner forces. You probably saw it in the headlines. My comrades went into combat with a couple companies of Steiner mechs. The mission went normal, but, it ended with the Steiner mechs firing on, and wiping out, the mechs of that unit. They never stood a chance. When we got word of it, my old CO, now dead CO, and I were pissed. We wanted blood, and we wanted Steiner to pay. We went to the Kentares system, that's where they were operating, and we found the encampment of the commanding officer of those Steiner units. We assaulted the base, and captured him. I interrogated him personally, and when I was finished, after getting the information I wanted, I put him on a live feed message to Tharkad, to the palace. I executed him, right in front of the Archon. After that we assaulted the capital, and I was about to put an AC through the Archon, when those damn reinforcements show'd up. We fell back to the Drop site, and were holding the line, but, I noticed an advance on our forward flank..."

Draco was slow, his memory flashed before him, he thought he would cry. He fought back the emotions, but the only thing that got through, was a small tear, which was quickly wiped away.

"I failed to see an advance on my flank, the one I was holding, and was taken by surprise when I finally saw it. Dylan, my CO, my mentor, he was like the father I never had, he moved his Atlas in the way of the oncoming rounds. Those AC 20s tore him apart, and he died with a lucky shot that went through his **** pit. It was my fault, his death, was because of my mistake, my one, fatal mistake. I lost it right there, and killed every last one of them, with not just my weapons, but I used my Warhammer's PPCs like blades, I killed the last one, by stabbing my PPC through his cockpit, and then fired it. It destroyed the PPC, but it also fried what was left of him. The Drop ship landed later, and I chose to stay behind to ensure a safe extraction. My Warhammer Wolf's Fang, stayed with the ship, and I stayed behind in Dylan's other mech, an Annihilator. I fought and killed five more mechs, before I had to eject due to the Annihilator being nearly trashed. I then made my way back to Outreach, and was sent here for some real R&R. It just doesn't seem right on the Drop ship anymore, and everyone agrees, I've seen a lot of ****, but, I never had dreamed this would happen,"

Draco stopped right there, he didn't want to try and talk more about it. Still he was interested in what Will was doing here.

"So, how in the name of Kerensky's lost army did you end up here?”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users