Does the CryEngine 3 support Physx?

22 replies to this topic

#21 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Current issue with physics in the game would be the extra stuff that would have to be communicated over the servers. I don't think it will ever be highly implemented for this reason.

For a SP game, physics aren't as much of an issue. I may be wrong, but I can't think of a MP game with them as highly activated, even on engines that support physics strongly.

#22 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

View Postverybad, on 28 February 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Current issue with physics in the game would be the extra stuff that would have to be communicated over the servers. I don't think it will ever be highly implemented for this reason.

For a SP game, physics aren't as much of an issue. I may be wrong, but I can't think of a MP game with them as highly activated, even on engines that support physics strongly.

What about having the particle physics of the more "eye-candy" stuff be done client side with just flags being triggers server side saying this object was destroyed? Sure there would be mild discrepancies between clients seeing exactly how that building collapsed, but everyone would see that it would be destroyed?

Edited by mwhighlander, 28 February 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#23 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostTennex, on 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

isn't physx mostly just dynamic cloth animation

It's a whole physics engine.

Back in the day it was gimped on cpu on purpose and no developer in their right mind would use it because unless you could enable it on gpu, only worked on Nvidia cards, it would run like **** and there are just better options for developers in terms of physics engines. It held little actual benefits to developers doing multiplatform games.

Also as has been pointed out. Cryengine has it's own built in physics engine, which negates the need for 3rd party middleware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users