NPC thoughts

4 replies to this topic

#1 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I don't know how this will work (or if it can work at all).

For lone wolves and mercenaries, can we have an NPC that acts as a loan shark?

Borrow a few moolah, on the NPC's strict terms of pay back time with interest (he/she is a loan shark after all). Payback time and interest can be RNG to some extent, by RP reasoning of his/her mood at the time, maybe influenced by current events.

If you don't make the payment, he'll issue your assasination contract for other loners n mercs, and last known location say at 24 hours ago. If a pilot taking the contract is in the vicinity the pilot can jump on a mech and drop in the map and hunt you down.

Obviously as you gain rep you can have some leniencies.

Any thoughts?

#2 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Why?

#3 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

I started a reply but had to rewrite it, for ease of reference:
Loner / merc taking loan: Player A
Loner / merc taking assassination contract: Player B

For Player A: quick access to C-Bills for the player and providing more options to enjoy the game, and (depending on how RNG works) possibly more gameplay time to pay off the debt. During the time he does not pay the debt, there is an element of risk that other players (or it could be a group of NPC's for that matter) can give him a drop during missions.

For Player B: an additional mission and reward (to mitigate griefing, only players taking on the contract and his lancemates can drop in and assassinate Player A mid mission).

I guess a possible the mechanic of it is if the assassination is successful:
Player A's particular mission will fail, he will be stripped dry of his C-Bills (maybe) plus collect the usual repair bills.
Player B will receive his contract rewards.

Just a thought, but feel free to critique or build on this.

#4 Captain Hat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Let's see.

Player A takes out a loan and deliberately doesn't pay it back. He spends most of the money on a very expensive mech and a small amount on a very cheap one.

Knowing that there will be a contract on his head, Player A arranges for his friend, Player B, to take the contract, and informs Player B where he is going to be at a certain time. Player A then takes his very cheap mech into combat.

Player B "kills" player A, the contract is fulfilled and both have essentially received loads of credits for free.

I really don't mean to be a dick about doing this whole "devil's advocate" thing but in my experience people on the internet will find a way to screw your system up, and the best way to prevent it is to keep your system as simple as possible. The complex mechanics people are suggesting on this board sound fantastic, and in a world where everyone was going to play the roles as intended they'd be awesome, but the one constant of the Internet (other than Rule #34) is people being dicks, and the more complex your game mechanics are, the easier it is for people to screw them up.

Edited by Captain Hat, 08 February 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#5 Setzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostCaptain Hat, on 08 February 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Let's see.

Player A takes out a loan and deliberately doesn't pay it back. He spends most of the money on a very expensive mech and a small amount on a very cheap one.

Knowing that there will be a contract on his head, Player A arranges for his friend, Player B, to take the contract, and informs Player B where he is going to be at a certain time. Player A then takes his very cheap mech into combat.

Player B "kills" player A, the contract is fulfilled and both have essentially received loads of credits for free.

I really don't mean to be a dick about doing this whole "devil's advocate" thing but in my experience people on the internet will find a way to screw your system up, and the best way to prevent it is to keep your system as simple as possible. The complex mechanics people are suggesting on this board sound fantastic, and in a world where everyone was going to play the roles as intended they'd be awesome, but the one constant of the Internet (other than Rule #34) is people being dicks, and the more complex your game mechanics are, the easier it is for people to screw them up.

Damnit I think Captain Hat is on to my grand scheme.

I see your point and appreciate in a lot of instances simpler is better. Still it was worth getting the idea out there and getting feedback on it.

Cheers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users