Who said Scouts could only take scout role abilities?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Galban

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Looking at some of the replies to the Role Warfare Pt2 it seems people think that if you take one role tree your forced to somehow only take stuff from that tree - thus shouts of "I'm a scout and I only get crummy 7x zoom" etc

If you take the first point in Defender/Assault you also get Night Vision along with your 7x zoom as far as I see it, want thermal vision with zoom? No problems!

Thoughts? Am I wrong? Am I right?

#2 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

As far as I can see your right, same as someone who goes for defender can play some of the other roles to get the advantages.It will be fun to see someone with an Atlas trying to get Scout points :D

#3 Star Ranger

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

I do not see why they think that scout mechs have to light mechs one of the best scout mechs i had when playing mech commander was a cyclops

#4 100mile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

I think you are correct...Furthermore I read a qoute yesterday from one of the blogs that states part of the xp will be mech specific and part of it will be usable for any upgrade...Thus you wont have to try and use an atlas to scout...just use your general portion of xp on the scout upgrade you want..Of course it will slow down your advancement in the assault abilities... take the good with the bad...

#5 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

I don't think anyone in the dev team said pilots are unable to mix the skills from different trees.

#6 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Scouting in a Grasshopper or a Hunchback. Now that'd be fun.

#7 STR1K3HAV0K 06

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

So I can assault in a Jenner?!? SWEET!!!

#8 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 06 February 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

I don't think anyone in the dev team said pilots are unable to mix the skills from different trees.

Exactly...

#9 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Say you take a Hunchback (could be any mech, I'm just picking one) and earn 100 xp in a battle. 50 XP is tied directly to that Hunchback, and 50 will land in a general pool (those numbers aren't exact). You can only spend the XP that's on your hunchback on efficiencies for that Hunchback. But the 50 xp that is in your general pool can be spent on that hunchback, or on your jenner, or whatever else you want to spend it on.

The efficiencies that you spend XP on are tied directly to the mech that you buy them for. Those are the things like +2.5 top speed or whatever. They really have nothing to do with your role, they have more to do with making that particular mech a better machine.

At certain points along those efficiencies trees you'll get a Pilot Point. Here is where the whole role thing comes in. Pilot Points are spent on modules, and those modules are for any of the roles in the game - scout, assault/defend, command. As far as they have revealed, there's nothing saying you can't invest in any of those modules regardless of the mechs or roles you prefer. In fact it is likely that most players will enjoy a variety of roles and will be working on unlocking ALL of the modules.

Once you unlock a module it becomes available for you to purchase in the store. You can buy that module and put it onto any mech you own, just so long as there is an open module space on the mech. So yes, you can have the Atlas with 7x zoom, or the Jenner with thermal vision.

#10 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

everyone seems to make mention of the different zooms and visions available...i want to see a scout commander who can drop arty on what he personally designates. :D

#11 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 06 February 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

everyone seems to make mention of the different zooms and visions available...i want to see a scout commander who can drop arty on what he personally designates. :D

That's going to be me!

#12 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

The way I see it is 2 fold.

1. ANY Mech will be able to progress in ANY tree, however you may find that some don't seem to excel as better as others.

and.

2. People are too wrapped up in labels confining one's ability. Be honest here, but how many of you INITIALLY though that a DEFENSE role does not involve attacking? Thing is, there is a lot of confusion about battlefield concepts and what they encompass, and sometimes labels work against a broader comprehension of what is intended.

...oh and

2.5. I'm holding off on how I feel in regards to all this until I actually see it in play. With the content delivery PGI is setting up, it would be easy for them to push changes if they feel the community is vastly pro or con on a particular topic.

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hammer.. Nail... You got it friend! :D

Actually I suspect there is going to be a lot of heavy-Lights and Light-Mediums running around (Maybe even a few light-Heavies with jets!) that will essentially be flexible enough to fulfill multiple roles (granted slightly less efficient that someone dedicated to that role)...

I think the Devs. have finally found a way to deter the race to the Assault Mech, making both light and mediums highly desirable and in doing are on the verge of something pretty spectacular... And that's not just flattering platitudes... Someone did their homework IMHO.

Edited by DaZur, 06 February 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#14 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 February 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

The way I see it is 2 fold.

1. ANY Mech will be able to progress in ANY tree, however you may find that some don't seem to excel as better as others.

and.

2. People are too wrapped up in labels confining one's ability. Be honest here, but how many of you INITIALLY though that a DEFENSE role does not involve attacking? Thing is, there is a lot of confusion about battlefield concepts and what they encompass, and sometimes labels work against a broader comprehension of what is intended.

...oh and

2.5. I'm holding off on how I feel in regards to all this until I actually see it in play. With the content delivery PGI is setting up, it would be easy for them to push changes if they feel the community is vastly pro or con on a particular topic.

On Point 2.5, thats how I feel with 90% of the released features and content...and even speculation by board members. I'm not going to get worked up by most of the stuff until I see how it ends up in game play, and then on how Dev handles it. I don't care how other games have handled said game mechanics; this is a different game and until I see they don't work here I'm not going to be down on them.

#15 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 06 February 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

On Point 2.5, thats how I feel with 90% of the released features and content...and even speculation by board members. I'm not going to get worked up by most of the stuff until I see how it ends up in game play, and then on how Dev handles it. I don't care how other games have handled said game mechanics; this is a different game and until I see they don't work here I'm not going to be down on them.

Yeah, that's a safe way to play it. I mean, I understand that because of anticipation, we sometimes take speculation too far to get SOME form of seemingly tangible information, but until we see it in play, nothing is finite.

#16 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm one of the culprits mentioned by the OP, and I think it makes no sence that I have to level-up my Scout Pilot as an Assault player just to get access to Scouting tools.

If I am a Scout and I want a magnetometer, then I have to dump 3 Player Points into the assualt tree without even touching the Scout tree. 3 player points takes the same amount of time to earn as 3 modules (because you get 1 module per skill point), so those visualization tools should be available early-on as modules, which can be made redundant by later earning them as permenant pilot skills.

#17 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I would only argue a purist vs multi class view against this, it seems a bit strange we have to 'multi-class' from the get go to get (what I consider) a 'pure' scout.

But as Wet Noodle said, it's about gameplay and how it fits, it might actually work out well, but we won't know until BETA.

#18 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hmmm...some interesting points.

I personally think they will lock you into a skill set per mech. Otherwise what is the point in separating the perks other than the trees being just a guide?

I do think they'll revise the vision benefits for scouts. not having the Mag for a scout seems oddly short sighted...And enough people have made noise about it, so hopefully they'll pick up on the common sense of it.

Will they lock the skills into mech weights? perhaps. As funny as a scout Atlas would be...it'd either be a massive (but hilarious) waste of time or potentially too strong.

Edited by Mchawkeye, 06 February 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#19 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

Well, they did say it was a tentative first effort. Given that they probably haven't yet done any playtesting on it they might be using us to see what the reaction is. Still interested in how many variants we will need to play. I looked at the Catapult and I think there are only about 3 or 4 in the timeline.About the same for the Atlas (including double cockpit variant). Seems similar for the others.
Will be interesting to see what they say in the Q&A.

#20 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 06 February 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

As funny as a scout Atlas would be...it'd either be a massive (but hilarious) waste of time or potentially too strong.

*cue obligatory Steiner Assault Scout joke here*

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users