Sunlight Glare: It's Non-Canon, but should it be in-game, anyways?

30 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Sun Glare have any real in-game affects? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

How should Sun Glare affect us in-game?

1. No Effect, other than looking pretty; it should not affect your performance at all (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. It should cause a mild blinding effect, but not making it difficult to fight (13 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

3. Looking into the sun should be blinding enough to make fighting very difficult (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

4. It should be harder to lock onto a target if they are located close to the sun, from your perspective (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

5. Missiles should have reduced guidance if they are fired at a target in the direction of the sun (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

6. Sun Glare should be fully customizable for each player, including the ability to adjust surface reflectivity, light scattering coefficients, and the modulation frequency of Highly Ungulating Light Abberations (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

7. Glare should only be a factor at night - (New Option) (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Logan Solo Sinclair

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

No affect on targeting. It should affect vision only-looking into the sun should be a tactical disadvantage only. Yes to flares, fires and any random heat sigs messing with light amplification/IR(MAYBE sensors to a small degree) during a night op... Imho.

#22 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Automatic polarisation of the screen!? Think about lasers. Otherwise the pilots would be immediately completely blind. In case of lasers there should be a negative effect if the cockpit is hit, but otherwise.... for Mw or BT itself in the universe shouldn't be a real effect.

For gameplay on the other hand it would be really nice to have another option to use against the foes and bring in another type of tactic. So far yes.

Of course could also be an effect exist with nightvision as before said. IR dosn't make sense, never had problems with IR and bright light...

Edited by Dragorath, 06 February 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#23 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yes mild glare would be expected. Don't forget glare off from bodies of water and Ice... or visual disruptions caused by heat convection.

#24 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Cockpit viewscreens are polarized and also have the ability to black out in order to stop flash-blinding.

I suspect the visual sensors would be polarized as well...

#25 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Polerizing just removes horizontal or vertical wave patterns. Even with quarter wave polerizing there will still be some glare.

#26 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm not really against glare, just pointing out that due to some tech, it's not a huge factor, really, in a 'Mech. If things get really ugly, just black out the viewscreen and operate on visual and other sensors... it's not likely that they would all be sun-blind.

#27 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'll give you that. Electronic sensors are subject to electronic warfare tho.

#28 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yeah. ECM can be some hairy stuff... at the higher tech levels, even the best advanced sensors will only tell you that there's an ecm jamming them, instead of being able to cut through the stuff.

#29 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostDlardrageth, on 06 February 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

What about the real life sunglare or even reflections off your monitor while playing? Won't we want those taken into account as well? ;)

Unless a prereq for playing MWO will be to own a windowless basement... :D

I actually play in a glorified closet... with no air conditioning... in the summer, there is NO overclocking going on around here...

#30 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 February 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Yes, but is Pure Awesomeness™ more important than Pure BattleTechnessificity?

I not one to hold onto Battle Technessificity when it needs not be, so yes, mild to significant glare, but like I said, not a constant variable so you're not fighting the entire match unable to see.

And by the same token, I want to see full night time operations as well.

#31 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Looking at my old mechwarrior and battle tech books, typical cockpits rely on video pickups not direct visual observations. Mechpilots have a neurohelmet on that acts as the mech's inner ear, it's what keeps them upright. for Inner sphere technology levels you don't have much of an ability to turn your head at all, so you have to have all your info in a limited field of view.

Looking into the sun shouldn't be much of an effect to visual pickups at all, at best momentary, yes seeing something coming out of the sun is all but impossible, but then again you should have spotted that highlander long before it decided to send you off in traditional northwind flair.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users