Life support systems

9 replies to this topic

#1 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

I hope I'm not repeating a topic already raised, but I'm curious to know if cockpit life support systems will play a role in the makeup and, essentially, survivability of the pilot. I.e. us!

Not only do they help keep the heat levels down for the pilot, but allow 'mech operation in multiple environments from desert to arctic, uner water to vacuum.

Will it be a case that a critical hit to life support could actually "kill" or injure a pilot caught in a hostile environment?

I'm personally guessing that if I'va taken a head hit already to cause that, I'm probly toast anyhow...

#2 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Big negatory on that...It has been confirmed that our avatars are like Captain Scarlet; indestructible.

#3 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

@McHawkeye-

Huh? Can you quote a source on that? Are you saying "Avatars" as in the graphical representation of a virtual player, or something else?

Personally, I've always liked the idea of subsystem failures. Subsystems like weapons, electronics, propulsion, communications, power, and of course, life support.

Though rare, I'm all for situations where, due to failing/faulty life support, the player's vision is disrupted.

A violent damage could blur vision for a short moment. An inability to maintain cabin pressure could result in the player's peripheral vision fading and even blackouts. All the way to there being irreparable damage and the pilot must choose to hold out as much as they could (as their screen was getting progressively more red/distorted) and ejecting to save themselves.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Query: Aegis ... how would ejecting into that same hostile environment save a pilot? I'm assuming that if the cockpit was actually sealed against something, then it would be harmful to a MechWarrior with nothing but a cooling vest, shorts, shoes/boots and maybe a neurohelmet.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 February 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

In the event you're in a hostile environment, ejection would just provide amusement to local pilots who would watch the pilot explode or melt or what have you.

That would actually be pretty funny.

#6 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 February 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

In the event you're in a hostile environment, ejection would just provide amusement to local pilots who would watch the pilot explode or melt or what have you.

I too vote for this. That would be amazing... but then we would have to deal with that M rating thing.

Edited by Ravn, 06 February 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#7 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

If your avatar can die, or your mech then it will make it difficult to progress in XP.

#8 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 07 February 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

If your avatar can die, or your mech then it will make it difficult to progress in XP.

Maybe it could be used as a mechanic for "bed rest" or a long recovery if say your life supoort fails underwater... You don't die, just become incapacitated.

#9 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Getting to hunt for a crit on the dome is VERY rare, 9 points of armor and 3 internal, yes an ac/10 gets to do it in one hit but the pilot damage plus the fact the next hit takes the head unless it's a floater from an lrm is pretty rare.

IMO there is a reason for an auto eject system. If the black widow got aced by jump jets to the face, why can't we at least put in a penalty for "dying" say lose half the "xp" gained from that current mission.

yes I'd like to see effects for "pilot damage"

#10 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

They've said that they expect games to last on average 20 min. Say I have a day off and play for 5 hours. Thats 15 matches. Say we only win 50% - call it 7 for a round number I die in 3 and die in the other 8 that we lost. Is that a reasonabe estimation? Could see it taking quite a while to accumulate XP at those rates. Especially if you can only do 15 matches a week.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users