Mech Of The Week Challenge 6: On A Wing

8 replies to this topic

#1 Scodo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

The rules of the thread are simple:
The Mech should fit in with the theme, or be related in some way through either the visual design or the employment on the battlefield. If you have an idea for a theme you'd like to see please send it to me in a private message.

The Mech should be something you design and draw specifically for the challenge, not something you already had lying around.

Art can be 2D, 3D, in any medium you prefer. They can be rough sketches, vector line art, full color, what have you. ALL SKILL LEVELS ARE WELCOME!!!

WIP shots are allowed, but please keep the thread clean and only poster another WIP if you have made significant progress.

This week's challenge: On a Wing. Take a military aircraft from any nation of origin and any point in history, and design a mech based on the look and feel of that aircraft. Post a picture of the aircraft alongside your mech for comparison.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm not going to participate, but could I ask if you're looking for mechs that are like LAMs, or just mechs that fit the aircraft in question (Let's say a mech that has the signature look of a stealthed plane with sharp angles, greyish paint and so on)?

#3 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think it's however you choose to convey the spirit and themes of the aircraft in question. If an LAM is the way you want to go, then I don't see why that wouldn't work. I chose a WWI bi-plane bomber (Vickers Vimy) for my aircraft, but an LAM wouldn't really work for that, so I just pulled shapes and ideas from the plane and used them in a semi-normal mech. Will post mine this evening when I get back from work, maybe it will help you decide how you might handle your own ideas.

#4 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

OK, here is my submission for the week, aesthetically and spiritually based on the illustrious Vickers "Vimy" bomber of WWI, seen here:
Posted Image

My version is equipped with weapons and equipment I felt were spiritually appropriate. As a nod to the 0.303 machinegun on the original, my version has a spread of 4 machine guns, and in place of the several thousand pounds of bombs, I put the closest thing I could think of: a pair of AC20s. And jumpjets, of course! Here is the standard pencil version:
Posted Image

And here is a partially-inked version I made on a photocopy of the original pencil:

Posted Image

#5 Scodo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostAdridos, on 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

I'm not going to participate, but could I ask if you're looking for mechs that are like LAMs, or just mechs that fit the aircraft in question (Let's say a mech that has the signature look of a stealthed plane with sharp angles, greyish paint and so on)?

What I'm looking for is mechs that fit the aircraft, though if you wanted to design an LAM that would be cool too. I'm more interested in people participating than people sticking to the exact letter of the rules.

Also daekar, I have a guilty love for mechs with wheels. So that is awesome.

Here's my Lightning, based on the P-38

Posted Image
65 tons
4 machine guns
2 LRM 10
2 small laser
2 LBX10

#6 Sneaky B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

Stinger:
Posted Image

More akin to the NATF YF-23
Posted Image

#7 Paul BlackJack Cady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLyran Sector, Planet: Canal, Primary Base HQ

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostSneaky B, on 15 December 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Hey did you ever get my PM?

#8 Scodo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

sneaky that's awesome

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

here is my unfinished contribution... things have been a little crazy, so I have a ton of unfinished sketches I had not gotten a chance to post....
Posted Image

I took your theme a little farther by going with a Land Air Mech design....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users