What should my first BattleTech novel be?

13 replies to this topic

#1 NameTheftVictim

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

MechWarrior has been in my life since the 90's, but BattleTech proper is something new for me. I've already brushed up a little on my lore with the Universe PDF found on the game's main site, and I'm thinking of trying out the novels. Any recommendations? And keep in mind that I'm not just asking for the good novels, but novels that would be friendly to newcomers. Or should I check out one of the other sourcebooks first?

#2 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Look up Michael Stackpole and just start from the beginning. He has written a ton of Mechwarrior novels that covers pretty much the "main storyline" of the universe, and should bring you up to speed on what the whole universe is all about.

They are not overly complicated to read, although he sometimes takes the political and tactical analyses a bit too far for what a human could just come up with the instant they get a tidbit of new information. But good read none the less.

#3 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Start in chronological order, read the old original series.

#4 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Michael Stackpole's Warrior Trilogy
1) En Garde
2) Riposte
3) Coupe

Next would be William H. Keith's Grey Death Saga
1) Decision at Thunder Rift
2) Mercenary Star
3) Price of Glory

Those would be the first two sets I would recommend reading.

#5 Habokku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 07 February 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

1) En Garde
2) Riposte
3) Coupe

2) Mercenary Star
3) Price of Glory

This

You may have a hard time (Read: really really hard time) finding the Gray Death Legion Saga in anything but used condition, but they are on Amazon, and usually they're in decent shape for reading if nothing else.

I liked the Gray Death saga more than the warrior trilogy, but hey, I'm biased... They're both excellent starting places and I will echo CPTAmerica's reccomendation.

<S> See y'all dirtside.

-Havoc

#6 Darrin Thomason

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBuckingham, UK

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

If you have an e-reader they are available. I downloaded both the warrior triolgy and the start of the GDL onto my wife's Kindle. Warrior trilogy is ready good. The GDL has a few spelling and grammar mistakes where they havn't copied well from the books.

#7 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 07 February 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

1) En Garde
2) Riposte
3) Coupe

2) Mercenary Star
3) Price of Glory

I would recommend that before you begin to read the warrior trilogy or the GDL trilogy, get a copy of "The Sword and the Dagger" by Ardath Mayhar.

The reason for this: I just reciently started reading En Garde(which so far seems to be really cool, btw) but it almost feels like a sequel to the Sword and the Dagger. If there is a cheap kindle version out there and you find it, you might be better off going that route because the book is out of print and so rare that i paid like 90 bucks for this copy off of Amazon about 5 years ago. It is a really good read though. It's like Man in the Iron Mask, only with Battlemechs. WOOT

Just edited my reply to add this: If you are looking to better understand the clans and their lore, i highly recomend that you start off reading "The Way of the Clans" by Robert Thurston. This book is actually part of another trilogy(i think). Can't remember exactly but i never truly understood the clans until i read this book. Sure you can read PDF sourcebooks on clan lore but you'll understand those source books from a much cooler perspective if you read this trilogy. "Bloodname" is my favorite part of it from what i remember and after reading this you'll finally understand where all the "Prydes" are comming from in people's forum names around here, lol.

Edited by XxDRxDEATHxX, 08 February 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#8 SchnitzlXS

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

A useful site that gives you the approximate chronological order of the novels (not exactly the order they were published):

http://www.stargazer..._novel_list.htm

So far I am sticking to that order and I have a feel of continuity when I read the novels.

Cheers!

Edited by SchnitzlXS, 08 February 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#9 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Your first novel depends on your likes & dislikes as well as your interests. Do you favor the Successor States or the Clans?

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 08 February 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#10 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

considering the timeline the game is starting in. BLOOD OF KERENSKY TRILOGY. If you can find it.

#11 HATER 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

start with Shrapnel: Fragment from the Inner Sphere, if you can find a copy of it. Then move on to the books. I think the earliest book I read in the storyline of the BTU is Sword and the Dagger, and went forward from there.

#12 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

As someone who started in the middle of the series (I am Jade Falcon) and then skipped around for 15 years I would definitely recommend
starting at the beginning (The Sword and the Dagger)

It was very interesting to read through a generational series of novels. I was aware of the events of the first few books because of "Hey this is like that time your father..." comments by the main characters but it was really cool to read those first books where the father WAS the main character.

#13 NameTheftVictim

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

Considering the wide variety of suggestions I'm getting, I'm starting to think about reading them in order of publication. If BattleTech doesn't go through periodic retcons like Warhammer 40,000, I ought to be fine, right?

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Novel wise you are perfectly fine. I do not think a single novel has been retcon. Hell 40k loves to change and change. You can grab a 25th anni intro box and play with someone who owns the 1990s compendium rulle books and be able to play with a few minor differences.

Battletech from my understanding has not really changed, the rule books just got more streamlines and organized more efficiently.

I am going about reading the novels in a very... interesting way. I have downloaded the free 1980s house books from the main battletech the board game site, they are sourcebooks but have 50-110 pages of the Houses history, plus other tid bits...but i just printed the history. Read the 5 house books, the Periphery book (found this one in a store) and now I have a excellent sense of the Inner Sphere's past. Now I am almost finished my Field Manual Crusader Clans, done Warden Clans long ago :D and AFTER my extensive history on the Sphere, I plan on starting the novels... Only problem is BattleCorps short stories keep catching me.

I just felt it would be really neat and interesting to have a decent general knowledge of the past events that shaped the stellar empires that the novels feature.

As stated before. This depends what you are interested in. If you like the Clans due to loving MW2 and GBL, Jade Phoenix Trilogy or if you like both Inner Sphere and the Clans then Blood of Kerensky is a good suggestion. If you are a IS fan, well then start at the begining. Chances are Sword and Dagger will put you back 30+ dollars, unless you luck out. I have heard people finding them for a few bucks at used book stores as the owner has no idea it is worth a few more bucks now. So your first set of books will be Descision at thunder rift, or possibly Warrior: En Gaurde.

I will admit, I am a huge Clan fanboy. Freaking bias with them. Even in MWLL I have to force myself to play in a Inner Sphere mech. :wub: I first read Exodus Road not having any idea on the novels or universe, this was '98 or so. And then read Blood of Kerensky trilogy a few other novels and then I had a BT break due to wanting to spread the BT goodness when I left my highschool and donated my BT books... i was stupid for doing so... haha

So, what interests you? Clans, Mercs, Houses?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users