Mech Pod Design Concept

27 replies to this topic

#1 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hey all,

I wanted to share my early rough design phase of a mech pod or 2 that I am going to be building in the next year or so. I've decided NOT to go with throttle and stick / rudder controls as I am perfectly comfortable with using a 360 control pad. Now while I may eventually change that attitude if the "artimes by razor" turns out to be worth buying and not overly expensive it will remain the design for now -

Posted Image

Let me know what ya'll think -

Steel

**Edit** I did forget to identify the A/C Ducts on the left/right of the chair at the leg area.

Edited by Steelahlive, 24 August 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

That would be badass.

Have you thought about a three monitor setup?

#3 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostDracol, on 24 August 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

That would be badass.

Have you thought about a three monitor setup?

Yes, I have another design in-progress that is 3 monitors - but keeping the 40'' samsung for the middle display and 2 smaller monitors in portrait mode at 45 degree angles. Only problems with this is it extends the front width to 6 foot and I do actually plan to replicate 2 of these and have them some what side by side. That would take up a lot more space. Plus, I am moving in the next month or two and don't know what kind of house I'm going to have for space requirements. Either way, it has been thought of - more importantly I don't like Eyefinity with the current generation of "bezelmore" monitors. Until some company comes up with a TRUE or nearly true bezeless design that doesn't force me into a larger set. If they were in 32-40 inch range and decent pricing then all for it but not 55 or greater.

-Steel

#4 Munro

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Beat me to it, I think multiple monitor setup would be cool. Very cool design. I know of a hand full of (dedicated and skilled) people on the forums working on something similar. If I had the carpentry skills and a big enough budget I'd build something like it. Have you considered rumble pads (I think they are called) that vibrate the seat as you move and get hit in your mech?

I remember a few years ago going to a "Family Fun Center" in Florida that had Mechwarrior 4 Arcade. It has a huge screen, throttle on the left, joystick on the right, and a chair that moved as your mech moved on screen. I'd like to have a setup similar to that arcade machine. Haven't been able to find anything like it or the old style "tesla pods".

#5 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostMunro, on 24 August 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Beat me to it, I think multiple monitor setup would be cool. Very cool design. I know of a hand full of (dedicated and skilled) people on the forums working on something similar. If I had the carpentry skills and a big enough budget I'd build something like it. Have you considered rumble pads (I think they are called) that vibrate the seat as you move and get hit in your mech?

I remember a few years ago going to a "Family Fun Center" in Florida that had Mechwarrior 4 Arcade. It has a huge screen, throttle on the left, joystick on the right, and a chair that moved as your mech moved on screen. I'd like to have a setup similar to that arcade machine. Haven't been able to find anything like it or the old style "tesla pods".

The design is going to evolve no doubt - The rumble chairs if you will I've thought about - and not sure about em simply because that would add to expense - I played many games at the Chicago Virtual Worlds Tesla II mechpods many many years ago and they were simply the best. BUT as comfort must be maintained now - especially due to my medical condition of having to have my spine fused in 2 places, I don't really need something "punching" me in the back all the time. The sub will do that sure enough on it's own. It will be neat. As for budget - I have most of the electronics to do this already - so that will reduce cost by a lot. But from speaking to others on the forums, the designs and how they're achieved do not require very much money if done right and these initial design steps taken.

The exterior is not going to be all glorified to look like a mech or anything. I had originally planned to do that, but that really would be more time consuming as I'm a stickler for perfection (with regards to art and I would probably never get it right). SO for now the intent is to have the box look like a black video game enclosure in the vein of oldschool arcades - just painted black and smoothed. I may get a little fancy with it and make a lighted plexiglass "game sign" or something. Had a couple of other ideas since 2 builds is looking like it's going to happen. Putting them side by side and having a seal-able window/hatch between the two for downtime/bsing or even cooler - since audio chat will be built into the system, maybe an intercom between the two pods, OR best scenario - have a tiny 10'' or 12'' screen mounted just off center from the screen below normal viewing angle of the main screen with video/audio communication built in to chat with the other pod. Got a lot of cool ideas, but trying to keep it simple for replicating purposes. And an initial cost of 1000 dollars for main build minus electronics and additional computer parts.

As with other videos and designs I've seen - there will be some form of lighting and cooling options built in. It's going to be great - but may take me some time as this will be the largest scale thing i've ever tried to "hand" build from scratch that is and using my own designs. I consider myself talented enough and have the tools just never taken on this type of freelance if you will.

-Steel

#6 Joeseph Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Man...if i had the A) Resources, b. Time, and C. Space and D. Work Ethic, i would DEFINENTLY put the time into building this...but i have none of those things right now...so

#7 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Looking good, I look forward to the build!

#8 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Since I won't be able to actually start the building phase on this for at least 2-3 months - I decided to post a quick PC update that will be powering Mech Pod #1

Here is my build, parts are definitely cheaper now.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-Deluxe
Ram - Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb DDR-3
Case - Corsair Special Edition White 600T
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600K
CPU-Cooling - Corsair H80 Water Cooling option
CPU-Cooling - Replaced H80 Stock 120mm Fans with Deep Cool UF120’s (x2)
PowerSupply - Corsair Pro Series Gold 750watt
Graphics x 2 (Although One works perfectly)- Sapphire Dirt 3 Edition – AMD 6950
Hard-Disk - Intel 320 Series SSD 120 GBytes

This was my build back in December 2011.

Additional Components already had or purchased after build.

5 TBytes of 2.5inch portable Seagate GoFlex drives installed into the system. I cracked them open from the case they were in initially, and RAID configured 2 of them.

LG Blu-Ray burner, already had previously in older system.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 – Previously purchased.
Monitor is 40 inch LED-LCD 1080p Samsung purchased in Oct. 2010. (Plan on doubling up Monitors later)
Keyboard/Mouse:
Older Logictech MX5500
Razor Star Wars The Old Republic Mouse
Not really applicable since I use an Xbox 360 Controller to play Mech, but looking into the RAZOR controller tech that is possibly coming out for Mechwarrior if it’s not overtly expensive as most of Razor’s branded stuff is.

And that’s it, most of these components are older now and with the new Ivy Bridge stuff out, should be cheaper if stock is still able to be found.

Thinking of building an Asus Micro-ITX with my spare HD6950 for Mech Pod# 2 as I have 1 extra that is doing nothing much in the PC it’s in currently.

Posted Image

-Steel

Edited by Steelahlive, 25 August 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#9 _Beals_

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPa

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostSteelahlive, on 24 August 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Hey all,

I wanted to share my early rough design phase of a mech pod or 2 that I am going to be building in the next year or so. I've decided NOT to go with throttle and stick / rudder controls as I am perfectly comfortable with using a 360 control pad. Now while I may eventually change that attitude if the "artimes by razor" turns out to be worth buying and not overly expensive it will remain the design for now -

Posted Image

Let me know what ya'll think -

Steel

**Edit** I did forget to identify the A/C Ducts on the left/right of the chair at the leg area.

i already have a 42 monitor an a special chair i maid with table on top for the mouse and key bored

#10 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostInteli, on 24 August 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Man...if i had the A) Resources, b. Time, and C. Space and D. Work Ethic, i would DEFINENTLY put the time into building this...but i have none of those things right now...so

Buying retail is not always the path to go down. Drive or walk around your town looking for lumber being scrapped at construction sites [dumpster only not the new stuff you you'll get jail time]

#11 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

Also if your totally enclosing a large screen TV, PC, and lights then that 1 1/2 foot fan will be needed. The noise will be annoying possibly. Look into whisper fans. They are about 3-6 inches wide and a couple placed behind the TV up top and one above you and to the back will take the heat from back to front and keep you cool with no fan noise. Unless you like the sim jetfighter sound.

Edited by ORIGINAL SteelWolf, 25 August 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#12 GunMutt

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

I think this idea is stupid and by extension you are also stupid for giving birth to this stupid idea.

Why would anyone want to pretend to be piloting a mech over the sensation of sitting at their desktop computer playing a pc video game?

Lunacy I tell you.

PS

What kind of name is "steelahlive" anyway? Is that supposed to be some kind of clever play on words or something? It's not funny--stop it.

#13 Thee Tactician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationUnite State

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

Greetings, Folks

I found this to be an inspiring idea, I might actually have to attempt building an Atlas Cockpit. I will at least give it deep consideration.

~Rise~Team Leader Wolniewski

Edited by Wolniewski, 25 August 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#14 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

A mechpod is a cool idea for a better game. MWO is a streamlined online shooter. There was a group building pods and highly complex 'simulation' software for Battletech (I think they went out of business).

I can't argue that it is COOL, if I had room and money to burn I might do it, but its kinda useless for anything not Mechwarrior with the POSSIBLE EXCEPTION being other sim games: flight or tank or maaaybe naval. Yeah, you could keep a mouse and keyboard in the pod for playing SC2 or MW3, but when it comes down to it, you are playing on a giant tv no more than a foot away from you, which is not really great viewing for something that isn't a cockpit.

If you want the total immersion then I can't fight you. If you are just looking for some immersion, get the Logitech chair and control system that will be better than the namebrand thing coming out for 'this game.' Put that in a box with a tv on the wall.

#15 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostGunMutt, on 25 August 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

I think this idea is stupid and by extension you are also stupid for giving birth to this stupid idea.

Why would anyone want to pretend to be piloting a mech over the sensation of sitting at their desktop computer playing a pc video game?

Lunacy I tell you.

PS

What kind of name is "steelahlive" anyway? Is that supposed to be some kind of clever play on words or something? It's not funny--stop it.

Thanks Gunny - Always great I can count on my REAL LIFE friends to bring me inspiration =P

#16 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 25 August 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

A mechpod is a cool idea for a better game. MWO is a streamlined online shooter. There was a group building pods and highly complex 'simulation' software for Battletech (I think they went out of business).

I can't argue that it is COOL, if I had room and money to burn I might do it, but its kinda useless for anything not Mechwarrior with the POSSIBLE EXCEPTION being other sim games: flight or tank or maaaybe naval. Yeah, you could keep a mouse and keyboard in the pod for playing SC2 or MW3, but when it comes down to it, you are playing on a giant tv no more than a foot away from you, which is not really great viewing for something that isn't a cockpit.

If you want the total immersion then I can't fight you. If you are just looking for some immersion, get the Logitech chair and control system that will be better than the namebrand thing coming out for 'this game.' Put that in a box with a tv on the wall.

I think the mechpod's I've seen currently are more focused on Simulating a mech - My MECHpod as I call it - is more of a gaming pod - that specifically will be built because I want the Enclosed immersion factor - it will be just as good for all other games. Nice place to dip in and get "away" from sights sounds or other distractions if you will. Plus being retired, and sitting at home while others work, gotta have a hobby =P.

@Original Steelwolf - The design is very early - and the PC is being housed externally from the main pit. Additionally while not shown on the diagram the Monitor is going to be "sealed" off from rest of the cabinet with small whisper fans exhausting the air back out the front. Environmental's will NOT be an issue, and again this is preliminary design, that is going to change a lot as time gets closer to construction. I'm already anticipating heat and how to manage it...I'll just put in more heat sinks and group my weapons accordingly =P but seriously, The plan is to use LE lighting strips or LED lighting. The largest heat source will be the Television, and ME.

Sitting will be at about 2 1/2 to 3 foot from the monitor as I do now on my current computer desk. Again the diagram doesn't adequately show this due to the chair stand in being completely invented with no real world diagrams used. It'll be cool, and COOOL when it's done.

-Steel

PS - Thanks for the comments everyone! I do like the debate! -
PSS - Gunmutt - Go eat some LRM's for lunch!

#17 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

gamepad=fail

#18 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

View Postcinco, on 25 August 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

gamepad=fail

To each his own - I tend not to judge others cause their views or controllers in this instance clash with my own. I can tell you being a child in the 80s and having played everything from Commodore 64 thru Atari,NES, Arcade, PC, and in between through our current consoles/PC generation of gaming. I've tried, liked, and been proficient at all of them (Keyboard/Mouse Joystick/throttle sticks, Gun games, motion controllers, trackballs, VR, gamepads) you name it. In my day now, I enjoy the 360 controller as it suits me the best. I attempted to play a game at a friends house the other night using a throttle and stick controls ,and the constant twisting on the stick and my reflexes weren't up to speed anymore. Plus I couldn't play but for more than about 30 minutes before I had to take a break as my arthritis or maybe it was carpal tunnel was kicking in, in my wrists.

SO play how you must, just know there's always someone better than you out there, and don't judge, especially on the internet - makes you look even more of a douchsicle than you maybe are!

Edited by Steelahlive, 25 August 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#19 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Looks great so far.

I think a front/back and side view would be of great help with finding out if thoose sliding doors would work. From the top view alone it looks like the walls on the back are getting in the way.

Might want to install gel pads in front of the keyboard and mouse pad to help against carpal.

Also, personally, I'd use SI units.

Edited by Exilyth, 25 August 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#20 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostExilyth, on 25 August 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Looks great so far.

I think a front/back and side view would be of great help with finding out if thoose sliding doors would work. From the top view alone it looks like the walls on the back are getting in the way.

Might want to install gel pads in front of the keyboard and mouse pad to help against carpal.

Also, personally, I'd use SI units.

Yeah I'm working on getting the Other views hashed out right now - the problem for me is deciding on chair size, and actual usable space internally. I'm going to start hashing it out in a 3D program soon. The gel pads are great addition to any desk- it's what I use currently. I was going to try and see how easy it might be to find the "gel" recipe and make my own pads and line the entire desk space / Mouse spacing areas with em.

I don't understand this SI unit you speak of? That's un-American!!!! - I kid I kid - but honestly feet/inches is easier for me. I don't like 1 meter being 3'3'' just gets confusing TO ME personally.

-Steel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users