Having trouble finding a Corp/Faction? Consider this->

53 replies to this topic

#1 PewPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Not into roleplaying?
Not into arguing over details of the universe?
Want to be able to enjoy the game without taking the universe too seriously?
Not really interested in your current options?
Do you think pirates are pretty cool and doesn't afraid of anything?

I'm having some trouble finding a Merc Corp that fits the type of person I am, so I think I'm just going to make my own. I'm making this topic to gauge interest before I commit to building this. The following is just a somewhat experimental and preliminary proposal to what the Merc Corp will be. It is definitely subject to change and clarification

PIRATES (Official name to be determined)
Mission statement:
To provide a fun and committed sub-community in MWO for players who want to play the game seriously but do not want to participate in roleplaying or simply do not want to pledge allegiance to any faction or Corp.

Organizational Structure: (Yes, we're pirates, but still)
Structure will be very casual and family-like rather than a rigid chain of command. Decision making will be decided through open discussion. The only exception to this group culture will be the Founder, who has final say in decision making. Because this is a videogame, decision making is not a huge issue. In addition, I expect members to be somewhat like-minded, willing to make concessions, and simply not care too much about how things go. As Founder, I do not expect at all to have to be commanding people or giving orders outside of playing the commander role on the battlefield. I only reserve the right to do so when some serious stuff goes down and something needs to happen.

Group Culture:
We're going to do our best to stomp on whoever we play against like nobody's business.
We don't care if you're part of the Davion's First Alpha Omega Niner Romeo Delta Battalion, or a try-hard clanner; we'll poop on you and we'll do it in style
We'll poke fun at you but will be too lazy to hold a grudge
This does not mean we're going to be complete butt-holes to everyone else. Only sometimes.

Requirements:
- You have to be good at games and a good learner. Of course, selectivity in this matter is dependent on the Corp's ability to be selective. In other words, selectivity will increase as the Corp gets larger.
- Cool dudes who don't get butt-hurt over small matters
- Sense of humor. I have no doubts that we're going to be causing a ruckus in whatever system we're in.
- Capacity for camaraderie. I have no doubts that we're going to be causing a ruckus in the post-battle locker room.
- The ability to be serious when it's necessary.
- The primary requirement is that you're a cool person

Personal information:
I have been playing various games at competitive levels for years. My first competitive experience was playing Counter-Strike 1.6 in a tournament when I was 8 years old. Since then, I have participated in competitive CS:S, and DotA/HoN. I know how game guilds/clans work, and I have led functional teams in both competitive gaming and real life. All this doesn't mean much, however, as this group will be almost COMPLETELY self-run and self-regulated. Yes, it's completely possible to be part of a serious game community without having to call someone your Captain.

If interest grows, I promise the following:
A super cool pirate banner (totally better than anyone else's logos)
A system of organized community communication
Aggressive recruitment and promotion

What does everyone think? If anyone wants to help develop this further and make this a joint venture, this is your chance to start something big.

here's a preview of the awesome pirate banner logo not really
Posted Image

#2 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Interesting concept. Some merc units might operate the same way. It could add to the diversity of the game.
I'm new to multiplayer and/or online gaming so I don't know about how these communities really work. (But I am a good and quick learner.) Lone wolf currently appeals most to me. I'm definitely not into house factions. But Pirates could be an alternative to Merc Corps.
I can't start playing until end of this year. So I will see how it develops. Besides comming in later than others, there will be the different time zones as well. I live in Switzerland. Will that be a big problem? (And because of work I can only play at weekends.)
You do realise that some people could start calling you Jack Sparrow...

#3 Hunter

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

I like this idea. But isn't this just another merc group in essence? It'll probably work the same in game either way. However I do like the relaxed nature of the set up, I haven't joined a merc corp because some of them, the ones I've looked at, take themselves way too seriously. I just want to have fun, and the aspects of the group you've listed appeal to me very much.

I hope there's alot of interest in this and you can get started, because if there is I might forgo lone wolf, and join up.

#4 PewPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Absolutely pretty much just another merc corp. I do expect if it becomes a reality that it will appeal to newcomers to the franchise. People who will eventually change the metagame.

#5 Hellinabarrel

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:52 AM

but but what if i'm not a cool enough person????

but seriously mate good luck with this thats the kind of thinking that'll make the game interesting.

#6 Hunter

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostPewPew, on 08 February 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

Do you think pirates are pretty cool and doesn't afraid of anything?

I actually hate pirates, well the jack sparrow kind, but I love futuristic style periphery pirates.

I hope this pans out now, I'm getting a giddy feeling I'd enjoy this waaay to much.

Also, "doesn't afraid of anything?", I've heard that somewhere before, where's it from?

Edit: nevermind the last thing, figured it out :o

Edited by hunter, 09 February 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#7 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

All we do in our own unit is argue over who has the biggest miniature collection, who knows the most about Battletech, and who can frap the hardest over poorly rendered 80's artwork of Natasha Kerensky. :o Good luck, have fun. More competitive teams the better IMHO!

Edited by John Clavell, 09 February 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#8 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostPewPew, on 08 February 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

We don't care if you're part of the Davion's First Alpha Omega Niner Romeo Delta Battalion, or a try-hard clanner; we'll poop on you and we'll do it in style

where do i sign?

#9 Revya21

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

if this comes through i'd gladly join ... or create a similar group and ask for an alliance

#10 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I like this Idea. Sure it will probably be stuck under the Merc Corps grouping but i can see that this might have its own charm as an option for the slightly less serious battletech enthusiest that is just in it for the fun.

#11 ChaplainOmega

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'd most certainly consider that. I really enjoy the mechwarrior games, and I just want to pilot a mech rendered with current gen graphics. I like my story provided by the game. Having to roleplay and make one up is just too much work for me.

#12 FaustianBargain

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Tag me as interested. I just want to do some stomping and shooting with an organized/fun team.

#13 SlagMaster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

This reminds me of my old clan ..WX, we had the same disposition, and we kicked ***. Everyone hated us because we were good but didnt act all serious...excellent idea....

#14 PlanoChase

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sounds good. I'm pretty new to on-line gaming but into BattleTech since Crescent Hawks (never figured out how to finish it though). We've got a long time 'till this game starts but if I remember this I'll be back.

#15 Cold3y3s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Sounds interesting, if it pans out let me know and I'll probably forgo lone wolf to join up. I don't want to screw with any command structures or role playing and just blow crap up.

#16 Wingit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm based in the UK. Would interested in joining a Euro/GMT group.
I used to play MPBT many years ago with a 56k modem :mellow:
I now have fibre to the home: 100Mb download speed. (slightly faster) :)
I have a HOTAS setup with rudder pedals. Last time I played in a mech, I think I used a sidewinder!
Someone IM me please?

#17 Giovani Santori

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

i would definetly join this group.

#18 Balnoric

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Locationin a chair

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think this sounds like an ideal situation for a meat shield like me. I like to find the biggest Mech on the field, run up behind him and blow out his knee caps from behind!

I mostly play MMO games in the cold months and occasional evenings and weekends year round. Been a Mech fan since roughly 1986+/- but never serious enough to build and play the tabletop variety (or to bother learning any / all of the rules). I do love the absolutely horrible movie "Robot Jocks" ,I've played MW2-4 as well as mech commander 2.

Favorite Mechs: Daishi and MK/MK-II

Basically, I'm looking for a group of loosely affiliated fun seeking Mech-Pilots to hang with, and this seems to be the place. I'm not as cool as Han Solo, but I am much cooler than Jar-Jar Binks.

#19 Bishiii

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTheNetherlands

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

where do i sign up?

#20 ebox

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

i am not into clans, but i want to be part of your herd :)

speciality: reactor meltdown blast attack

Edited by ebox, 09 March 2012 - 11:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users