16 replies to this topic

#1 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

I just took the plunge. I am a longtime fan of all Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games. I would say I have read 90% of the paperbacks and I even own a bunch of the source books. But I never actually played bt even after all this time. I even have some nice old painted Ral Partha minis ready to go.

I just ordered the starter box and a bunch of the new sourcebooks. With Mechwarrior online developing nicely my interest has been rekindled. I even have two good friends who have played other table top games that are jumping in as well.

Anyways, I am glad to see that bt still has such a vibrant community. I can't wait to see my stuff arrive in the mail.

I have a few questions.

For a rank beginner that eventually wants to play tabletop rules, is it better to just begin with table top rules, or learn the rules that come in the box?

I suck at painting and my free time is limited. Is it considered bad form to have custom painted minis? I just want a star or a lance to play with and I want them to look great. Seriously, I suck at it.

Thanks.

Edited by JackCrow, 08 February 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#2 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

Congrats! The starter rules are 100% compatible with the full rules - there are just fewer of them. So by all means start there. If you find yourself loving it and wanting more, then dig deeper into the rules. BT rules have layers of depth, you can play it at the surface level or you can go way deep, or half way.

Painting minis is always an optional thing with tabletop games. Individual players have varying views on it though. Me personally, I hate playing with an unpainted force BUT I don't mind if my opponent doesn't care to paint theirs. Some people just don't want to bother painting their minis or don't want to pay to have somebody paint them up for them.

IMO the only "bad form" would be to have somebody else paint your minis and then pass them off as your own work. That's just plain rude to the artist who put their effort into those minis - they should get credit. But I don't think many people look down on people who get others to paint their minis.

#3 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostShepherd, on 08 February 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

Congrats! The starter rules are 100% compatible with the full rules - there are just fewer of them. So by all means start there. If you find yourself loving it and wanting more, then dig deeper into the rules. BT rules have layers of depth, you can play it at the surface level or you can go way deep, or half way.

Painting minis is always an optional thing with tabletop games. Individual players have varying views on it though. Me personally, I hate playing with an unpainted force BUT I don't mind if my opponent doesn't care to paint theirs. Some people just don't want to bother painting their minis or don't want to pay to have somebody paint them up for them.

IMO the only "bad form" would be to have somebody else paint your minis and then pass them off as your own work. That's just plain rude to the artist who put their effort into those minis - they should get credit. But I don't think many people look down on people who get others to paint their minis.

Ditto! :)
Good info Shepard.

The hard part will be to find a group nearby to play with...or just form your own group. :o

#4 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hey guys. Another question. In addition to the box set, what core rulebooks do you suggest buying?

#5 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostJackCrow, on 16 February 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hey guys. Another question. In addition to the box set, what core rulebooks do you suggest buying?

First off welcome back into the fold.

Secondly the only real 'core' book you need is Total Warfare. The other books (Tactical Operations, Stratiegic Operations, Tech Manual, A Time of War, and the various tech readouts) are all prety much optional rules that just add layers upon layers of depth to the game.

You might want to look into Heavy Metal Pro computer program for printing out unit combat sheets.

#6 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Seems like Tactical Operations is hard to find, which either means they didn't print enough or it's really popular.

Thanks for the help. I am in the military in German and my box still hasn't arrived. Getting anxious!

#7 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostJackCrow, on 08 February 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

I suck at painting and my free time is limited. Is it considered bad form to have custom painted minis? I just want a star or a lance to play with and I want them to look great. Seriously, I suck at it.

Thanks.

Want a super super quick and easy paint job that looks pretty good? Buy a primer from the hobby store (you can even get colored primer these days) Prime in color, or prime then spray one color. Thin coats. Buy some minwax wood stain. Darker is better. Dip and let dry. Instant sealing and shading. Looks okay at arms length and even a monkey could do it. For the extra pop, take white glue and water it down to milk like consistency, spread on the base and then dip the base in flock. flocked bases add a lot.

#8 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

You also dont have to pain minis - thats 40k. Old schoolers remember the cardboard cutouts that came with the boxed set - it was fine. Heck, even when we were using minis in my last actual tabletop (as opposed to MegaMek) we'd use things like pennies to denote infantry squads. I kept looking for used copies of Axis & Allies for the vehicle counters.

Its the game iteself, not the look of the battlefield, which matters.

-Don

#9 Moncai Icaza

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostSword_of_Light, on 17 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

You also dont have to pain minis - thats 40k. Old schoolers remember the cardboard cutouts that came with the boxed set - it was fine. Heck, even when we were using minis in my last actual tabletop (as opposed to MegaMek) we'd use things like pennies to denote infantry squads. I kept looking for used copies of Axis & Allies for the vehicle counters.

Its the game iteself, not the look of the battlefield, which matters.

-Don

Kinda disagree a bit with this as a long time wargames player while you can play with tokens and unpainted minis a fully painted force (even if not a great paint job) can add sooooo much to the atmosphre

my advice is try to paint yourself as paying someone is usually really expensive and it can feel a good sense of accomplishment if you have painted them yourself especially if the came out better than expected.

P.S. If there is a games workshop near by the usually will give you a quick lesson with a free mini if your "new to Gaming" and "have no idea what your doing" beware though they will try to sell you stuff

#10 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostEvinthal, on 16 February 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

You might want to look into Heavy Metal Pro computer program for printing out unit combat sheets.

Heavy Metal is fine, but costs.

You can also try Skunkwerks:
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

Its a Java-based "Free" mech designer program that is really stable, and
kept fairly up-to-date with all the basic and optional rules.

It only does mechs however. No Battle Armor, Tanks, or Aeropsace designs.

#11 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Here's what will happen with rules. The rules in the set will be enough. But, if you are playing with intelligent, fun people with open mind, one of you will say "Well, I'd like to catch that forest on fire, can I do that?"

*flip flip flip*

"I don't see anything."

*go to forums*

"Yes, fire is covered in TW, and more in depth in TO"

"Yep you can burn it!"

*burns*

"Wait... what about the smoke from the fire.. Does that cause heat? How many hexes away..."

and so forth. Total Warfare is all you need, but if you're into it, you WILL need it, it has answers to all the what-ifs that are really part of the Magic of do anything BattleTech.

#12 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Great thing about Battletech - theres a rule for that.

#13 CPUuser123

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

True enjoyment in battlemech depends on the experience of the players, and the depth and scope of the game. There are several different formats and variants of the game to dive into, and each player should find a few they enjoy most.

Basic FFA Format: For instance, back when I would babysit kids, I would bring my pewter minatures, some mech sheets and a few maps over. This was how I learned the very basics. Everyone pick 1 mech of the same tonnage, whichever you feel looks the coolest. Apply basic LOS with hills and trees (i.e. if you are not in wide open terrain, you are off limits), and only roll out hit location and damage. Very simple and fast to crank out multiple games in a hour, and will help players get a feel of battletech. Every weapon, if in range is a garunteed hit, so its like burning ants with a magnifying glass of which I am sure we all enjoy at some level.

From this, try a few variants that will including rolling for hit chance, crit chance and apply roll deductions for movement, terrain, heat, etc. By then, you will know and have a strong grasp of most rules and basic strategy. Games last longer and require thought and wit. Now you ponder how much movement, and where to position your mech for engagement/flanking. This is about when you start day dreaming which mech variants or what style you enjoy most: lasers + heat management, cannons + munitions, missiles + ammo. The last variant to throw in this mix would be rolling out pilot skills at the beginning. Now you ponder which mech will have your best pilot.

Now you know battletech, time to get into the real fun, gritty stuff.

Without making this too lengthy. My favorite format was 3 Mech: *** Drop Tonnage Deployment. Each MechWarrior had to choose three mechs, within a maximum tonnage limit to deploy to the map. Example: 3 Mech: 225 Tonnage Deployment - Variant: No duplicate Mechs. My most unstoppable combo was a Thor (70 tons), Mad Cat (75 tons) and Orion IIC (75 Tons) - I even have my orginal pewter minis to match this combo which Ill post in a separate thread some other time. Nonetheless, this format requires fun strategy and will adapt a unique play style.

I found trying to teach new players all of the rules the first night, would be the last night you ever saw them. Before long, youll naturally play out all of the rules to the game as if it is second nature. Your palms will be moist as your reach for the die, nerves tight as you wait for the die result, ponding if the decisions you make will ultimately be your fate.

Edited by CPUuser123, 18 February 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#14 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Ok so we got together and played this afternoon for the first time. We had a few basic disagreements over LOS and arc of fire but we figured it out. We're going to get in a game next week.

Today, the first game was with the quick start rules, second game we went with the introductory level rules. This game really sucks you in!

#15 CPUuser123

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

Wait until you and your buddies dedicate your lives to the game and play progression. There is a set of rules in the master rule book, on pilot create, how to caculate adding exp points to pilots, calculate c-bills and salvage from matches, etc. Then just keep tabs on who has what, who buys what new mechs/tec]hs etc. It is a blast!

#16 acheronlv426

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Where does the Compendium fit into the rules nowadays, is it considered out dated?

#17 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

The Compendium has been superseded by Total Warfare. The rules are basically still the same, but there are some important differences, such as how partial cover is handled now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users