Veteran Anti-Mech Infantry

4 replies to this topic

#1 Tahawas Pitts

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

I was looking through the Draconis Combine FM the other night and noticed that there are various units that include veteran level anti-mech infantry units (usually companies within a regt). Has anyone ever actually had much success in a table-top setting using anti-mech infantry to believe that a unit could live long enough to acheive veteran status?

For clarity's sake, I'm talking regular infantry not one sort or another of battle armor.

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

It's possible, but wouldn't happen often. For best results, you would have to use them right, be in an ideal sort of terrain (city, heavy forest), and be facing an inexperienced opponent commanding 'mechs that are not ideal for anti-infantry warfare (I.E. no Vulcans or Firestarters. For best results, fight the UM-R60L. It'll fold like a lawn chair).

#3 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostHayden, on 11 February 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

It's possible, but wouldn't happen often. For best results, you would have to use them right, be in an ideal sort of terrain (city, heavy forest), and be facing an inexperienced opponent commanding 'mechs that are not ideal for anti-infantry warfare (I.E. no Vulcans or Firestarters. For best results, fight the UM-R60L. It'll fold like a lawn chair).

Yes that's pretty much it.

To get the most out of anti-mech infantry they need to be hidden at the start of the game and you need a lot of terrain so they aren't vulnerable to 'mech fire when they move.

In 3055 plus, the option for TAG and NARC Beacons makes them more viable because they can sight for Artillery, but even here you need the terrain for them to do well.

#4 Ghostrider45

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationThibodaux La, 70301

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

There was A mech Book about a woman that was in one it was pretty good dont remmemder the name of the book! she lock up mech joints kicked pilots out of mechs then used them to Blow mechs AWAY!!!!

#5 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Many years ago a buddy and I made up a scenario where a recon lance was scouting a city and ran into a large infantry force. I don't remeber how many units of infantry it was anymore, but I do remember that he made a succesfull swarm attack on my Locust and it was pretty devastating. (no hands ya' know. :) ) He had a mixed bag of infantry, machine guns, lasers, s.r.m. launchers. The infantry did lose the battle, but they did quite a bit of damage to my lanch as I recall. I know the Locust did not survive. So, in an apprpriate environment I would say that infantry can be fairly effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users