Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Mech2 soundtrack (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mechwarrior Online share a similar soundtrack to Mechwarrior 2?

1. Yes, it would be a nice addition (48 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No, it has no place in this game (12 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 applesauce

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

This game should have the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack in it in some way, shape, or form. I am sure many will agree that Mechwarrior 2's soundtrack was nothing short of phenomenal, and to have a same or similar experience in this game would heighten its appeal. What do you think?

Edited by applesauce, 08 November 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#2 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

As great as they are, its nostalgia and they are quality for its time. New game new experience. I'm saying that as someone who was introduced to MechWarrior with the MW2 soundtrack and I think its THE BEST. However, let the good memories stay in the past. I'm giving this a no.

#3 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Giving a nod to Mechwarrior 2's soundtrack would be welcome, but I don't think the composer should be constrained to trying to update or remix the music into Mechwarrior Online's soundtrack. As mwhighlander has said, new game new experience. Bring on some new music.

#4 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

I love the MW2 soundtrack!!! .....and voted NO.

It was excellent for the Clanners. Those superior clinical warriors, where war is not a way of life but where life is war.

The IS needs something a bit more 'alive' as it were.

#5 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 09 November 2011 - 01:16 AM, said:

I love the MW2 soundtrack!!! .....and voted NO.

It was excellent for the Clanners. Those superior clinical warriors, where war is not a way of life but where life is war.

The IS needs something a bit more 'alive' as it were.

I think that MW2 Mercs' soundtrack would fall under "MW2 Soundtrack". And that was all about the IS. Aside from that I agree that it shouldn't be in this game, maybe having it as a free download for paying subscribers.

Just sayin'. :)

#6 Gorthaur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

they should have the original mw2 soundtracks as an in-game purchase. but yes, an updated mw2 style soundtrack would be awesome.

#7 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

Keep the thematic music (like the team venom and tukayyid theme), but ditch the rock music filler. Rock music feels like a cop out when it comes to modern game music.

#8 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

I don't think they have the rights to release the original Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack for purchase.

On that note, Mechwarrior Online should give people the option to purchase their soundtrack either complete or as individual tracks.

#9 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

*** yes, a thousand times, yes.

#10 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

MW3 Pirates' Moon had a pretty good soundtrack too, but it never quite achieved the awesome that was MW2 OST.

Music inspired by MW2 would be great, but I agree with the poster above that it should be a little livelier and not quite as austere as MW2. I love the electric violin, woodwinds and synths, but it could use some warmer strings and maybe a small amount of brass. Personally I loved the way hard rock was inserted into the action in Bulletstorm, but a lot of people would find that distracting.

Some Battlestar Galactica remake-style sitar/percussion stuff would be nice too.

Varying the music style by the map type would be good too. MW2 score music would be perfect for the scarred, naked landscapes of an open waste or a moonscape, a ruined city, or an icefield. Heavy percussion and woodwinds for forest maps. Bold brass and rock for the arena. Dubstep or drum-and-bass, a middle eastern type sound (think the opening credits score in Blackhawk Down), or industrial synths/guitar for urban combat.

#11 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

I'm a big fan of the MW2 soundtrack, and very-very like the music of the Mechwarrior 3, the Mechcommander and Mechcommander 2 too, but voted no. I think a composer find him/herself too bonded, if need to be follow the old game music. Let's give them freedom, to make and contribute a fresh, new and awesome soundtracks! :)

#12 EGG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

Every so often I try to dig up more music by the MW2 composers similar to the original soundtrack, so far I haven't had any luck.

Jeehun Hwang
Gregory Alper

#13 Nakir

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationItaly (Sicily)

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:36 AM

i want mech2 soundtracks too!!This is a wonderfull example !!!

#14 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

It need not necessarily be the same MW2-Soundtrack, but it would be cool, if the same composers (J. Hwang/G. Alper) work for the new MWO-soundtrack.
Duane Decker has made also a great Soundtrack for MW4. You could even buy the CD. He would be an alternative. MW-Games always had good music. Hopefully it'll be also in MWO.

Edited by The_Birdeater, 09 November 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#15 Captain Nice HD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTaurian Concordat

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

Part of what made the MechWarrior 2 tracks so effective is they were tailored set the atmosphere and tone. The missions in 31st Century Combat and Mercenaries had a rather different theme from one another too; compare the techno-electronic Clan tracks to the percussion and bass of the Inner Sphere ones.

I'd be all for Jeehun Hwang coming back to the franchise to compose some new tracks, but the MWO soundtrack should be its own animal. And likely would be.

#16 Radwulf

Rookie

• Corporal
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Concerning music, I highly recommend listening to the music of Richard "Darksparcs" Nelson :

You can find it here : http://www.sarna.net...sic/darksparcs/

Quality is poor but the songs are really great and perfectly fit with BT universe (IMHO).

#17 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

I still listen to the MW2 tracks at least once a week. Guess my vote

#18 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

I love the MW2 soundtrack but maybe just a few songs should be included. The game needs a whole new sound in general. Mech2 Mercs was great also and of course had a totally different feel to it.

#19 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

I'd say no that the soundtracks for MW2 and MW2:Mercs belongs to the past. Yes the scores are excellent but alas they are a bit rusty. If anything Jeehun Hwang could/should be addressed for a new score for MWO since I think he captured the atmosphere in an extraordinary way :)

#20 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

I first thought no, but after playing a few MW2 missions, the answer is yes.

A option to play your own MP3's as background music would be welcomed by me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users