Should there just be MECHs?

9 replies to this topic

#1 ShadeyTex

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

We all know that this game is about mechs to mechs fighting each other but does it have to be just that?

What I suggest is to have "support" vehicles, such as the tanks, APCs (<<I may have to cross that out), and VTOLs from the MechAssault series (I don't know if they exist in Mechwarrior since I only played MechAssault).

I haven't really looked much at what classes are there in this game (and the game itself), but given they are called the "support" role, they can help supply, repair, or scout.

I know I haven't been accurate on this subject but listing additional suggestions and details in the posts can very much help.

#2 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostShadeyTex, on 31 August 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

We all know that this game is about mechs to mechs fighting each other but does it have to be just that?

What I suggest is to have "support" vehicles, such as the tanks, APCs (<<I may have to cross that out), and VTOLs from the MechAssault series (I don't know if they exist in Mechwarrior since I only played MechAssault).

I haven't really looked much at what classes are there in this game (and the game itself), but given they are called the "support" role, they can help supply, repair, or scout.

I know I haven't been accurate on this subject but listing additional suggestions and details in the posts can very much help.

Th
There's no supply or repair. MechAssault was an arcade game. MechWarrior is a simulation game. There's plenty of FAQs to read to get you going though. Check them out! :)

#3 Banekane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationohio usa

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Actually i will have to say is in a PVE battle i would like to see the tanks hover and ships and all but the flying nuisance's as it will be fun to stomp the tanks just for some laughs

#4 Davison

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Honestly, I would be all for the inclusion of combined arms, and here's why and how;

First, it is long established in the Battletech/ Mechwarrior universe that a well organized combined arms unit is nearly always superior to a pure Mech outfit, for many reasons. First, common vehicles tend to be ignored until its too late. Second, they're cheaper by a landslide. Third, they dont take as much training to use. All of this means that vehicles are actually a lot more common than Mechs from an in universe perspective. But, stepping out of the universe, in game, there are some solid pro's and a possible method of implementation...

Make them 'buyable', AI driven support systems that a player can obtain and order about as with the older Mechwarrior games lancemates. Deploying a squad of battle armor in later years to savage a scout mech or finish off an opponent would add a new wrinkle to things, as would being able to call upon a VTOL or light tank. It's not just the guy or gal in the thirty foot war machine who's a threat now.

So... Vehicles, AI driven, direct fire support, indirect fire support or extra eyes, depending on the type of vehicle. Infantry in an APC, deployable amidst buildings or other cover to provide LOS assistance or light fire support (picture them acting as a deployable sentry post of sorts. Easy to kill for a mech, but they act as eyes and ears rather well, and are well hidden from sensors). Battle armor, deploys on your Mech, and leaps into combat when ordered, providing direct support. Effectively, they all would operate as 'support powers', but using the existing, canonical, technology and units that are, or will eventually be, available to the Successor States. Alone, they wouldn't win a battle, if done right, but they would make anyone with sense wary.

Just my two cents. Rebuttals or thoughts welcome.

#5 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Q. Will there be vehicular combat alongside Mechs for the players this time?

A. At the moment we are not following up with combined arms (tanks, hovercraft, jets etc.)

#6 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostStickjock, on 01 September 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Q. Will there be vehicular combat alongside Mechs for the players this time?

A. At the moment we are not following up with combined arms (tanks, hovercraft, jets etc.)

Guiseppe Nelva (Interviewer, DualShockers.com): On that train of thought, since there definitely is a segment of players that prefer cooperative multiplayer to competitive, have you ever considered introducing PvE missions in the future, with players prompted to team up and fight against AI-controlled opposing forces? Maybe as part of an actual storyline?

Russ Bullock (President, Piranha Games): I think the answer is similar to this question as the last. Having said that, I think this could possibly be a first step in bridging towards a more full traditional single player experience. It’s safe to say that the PvE question is one of the most popular and it is probably one of the very first things we will explore once our core game is complete and we go Open Beta.

G: I know it’s very early to even think about it, but have you ever thought about including elements from other tabletop games of the Battletech/MechWarrior franchise? I’m thinking about AeroTech, BattleSpace, BattleTroops and the others.

R: Never say never, but for us MechWarrior Online has always been about the Battlemech and we want players to feel like the most elite warriors in the universe. Under that philosophy, those other combat arms have more of a chance of showing up in MWO as AI controlled entities then player controlled.

complete interview posted here on 08/15/2012 :P

#7 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 September 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Under that philosophy, those other combat arms have more of a chance of showing up in MWO as AI controlled entities then player controlled.

complete interview posted here on 08/15/2012 :D

i was so "yea yea yea" when i first read this statement :P sounds good to me... and to be honest, this game is called MechWarrior...

#8 Banekane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationohio usa

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

in all essances instead of a Mechwarrior Online game the way i see it is people want a Battletech MMO instead lets hope PGI will think of a second MMO for just all out Battletech

#9 Tardstrong

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

For MWO? To start out is pure mech with player pilots. After the game is mech balanced between weight, roles, differing firepower; that is when we add AI.
Player pilots, by being human (a broad effin term) introduces play from the supremely tactical (groups of smarties) to the almost absurb (Tardstrongs). This range of action/reactions/***-ctions can never be recreated by AI.
So after MWO has been 'balanced' (lol cuz of people) maybe then we can think of adding AI stuff.

#10 Bansheedragon75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostShadeyTex, on 31 August 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Sound like you are talking about some form of combined arms game.
At the current point in time PGI is focusing on mechs only, but due to popularity I would not be surprised if they add something like it in the future.

If you want a Combined Arms mech game, I can recommend Mechwarrior Living Legends (MWLL)
MWLL is a mod for Crysis Wars (Warhead).
The mod itself is free, but it requires a legal copy of Crysis Wars (Comes with Crysis Warhead) to be able to play it.
You cant use a cracked version as the servers checks for a valid serial key, and will deny you access if you dont have one.

MWLL is a great mod and you can get Crysis Wars/Warhead as cheap as $5 on steam sometimes, which is as cheap as you can get i think.
So if you want to play with tanks and VTOLs as well as mechs, then I suggest you try it out.

Edited by Dragonlord, 01 September 2012 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users