#1 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Just finished reading Bred For War.

At the end of the novel Ulric Kerensky creates the Kell Bloodname. I was wondering how does that work when the first person with the bloodname is male?

It it my understanding that warriors are part of the house of their mother's bloodline. I.e. if Phelan and Ranna had sibkos created with their DNA the offspring would be part of the Kerensky bloodline.

So yeah, How does this work? Was the bloodname created as a singular honor just for him or in later fiction is there a House of Kell?

#2 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostSug, on 10 February 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Just finished reading Bred For War.

At the end of the novel Ulric Kerensky creates the Kell Bloodname. I was wondering how does that work when the first person with the bloodname is male?

It it my understanding that warriors are part of the house of their mother's bloodline. I.e. if Phelan and Ranna had sibkos created with their DNA the offspring would be part of the Kerensky bloodline.

So yeah, How does this work? Was the bloodname created as a singular honor just for him or in later fiction is there a House of Kell?

Clan scientists have the ability to swap the DNA of a gender- i.e, they can put a male's DNA into an egg or a woman's DNA into a sperm. I don't know if they've ever done so, but they can create a sibko of two female or two male donners, swapping the gender of one of the donners as needed.

They can do this with Phelan for his first sibko- but I think the point is moot, as I believe (I'll have to double check) the first generation of a Blood Legacy's founder can choose whichever parent's legacy they want. I.e, if they create a sibko from Phelan Kell and Ranna Kerensky, the offspring can choose either to be a member of the Kell Legacy or the Kerensky Legacy.

From the second generation and onwards, however, the Kell line will be transmitted maternally.

#3 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

@ Sidney Quite right, however you have to be careful there. Remember the deal struck between the Coyotes & the Wolves honoring the love between Dana Kufahl & Andery Kerensky? They exchanged giftakes but the Coyotes only use the Kerensky legacy as the gene-father & the Wolves use the Kufahl as the gene-father thus keeping Kerensky line matrineal.

@Sug It was created for him but obviously Ulric would have had the foresight to know there would be sibkos created later on & that Kell would be a Bloodname to be sought after just as any other.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 23 April 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#4 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 10 February 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

@ Sidney Quite right, however you have to be careful there. Remember the deal struck between the Coyotes & the Wolves honoring the love between Dana Kufahl & Andery Kerensky? The exchanhged giftakes but the Coyotes only use the Kerensky legacy as the genefather & the Wolves use the Kufahl as the genefather thus keeping Kerensky line matrineal.

Where is that information? Novels? Sourcebook?

#5 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

The third and final factor is tradition. Some legacies have been shared, but under very specific circumstances. Generally a legacy can be used as a genefather or genemother, but an agreement between clans can limit this. The best known example of such an agreement is between the Wolves and the Coyotes regarding the legacies of Dana Kufahl and Andery Kerensky. It was agreed in the early days of the Clans to mark the love between Andery and Dana by having warriors that shared both heritages. However, the Coyotes always use the Kufahl legacy as the genemother and the Kerensky as the genefather, while the Wolves do the opposite. This means all Coyotes of the mixed Kufahl-Kerensky bloodline are only eligible for the Kufahl bloodname, while those of the same combined bloodline in the Wolves are only eligible for the Kerensky name.

Historical Turning Point - Operation Klondike Pg. 34

#6 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Neat. I believe I have that sourcebook in pdf somewhere...

#7 Sidney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 10 February 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

@ Sidney Quite right, however you have to be careful there. Remember the deal struck between the Coyotes & the Wolves honoring the love between Dana Kufahl & Andery Kerensky? The exchanhged giftakes but the Coyotes only use the Kerensky legacy as the genefather & the Wolves use the Kufahl as the genefather thus keeping Kerensky line matrineal.

Yup. And thanks, although when I meant the first generation, I meant just that. The shared legacies were probably from later generations- not Andery's direct descendants.

I.e, if you take Andery's actual DNA and use it to create a sibko then Mechwarrior John could pick Andery as his Bloodhouse.

If John's DNA is then used to create a sibko, this is the second generation of Andery's legacy. Andery would be the grandfather, not the father, and if John is the 'mother', then this sibko would be of the Kerensky Bloodhouse. Otherwise, they would belong to whomever John's DNA was paired with.

#8 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

Unless there are stipulations agreed to beforehand as is usually the case, noted by the above example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users