Am I the only one that wants to fly a VTOL?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Rikki Tikki Tavvi

• Pip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth East U.S.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Does any one have fond memories of Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf for the xbox console? Don't get me wrong that is by far, not my favorite mech game out there, but it had a great community, fun gameplay, and I really did nothing but fly VTOL for our clan. I was just wondering if there are any like minded individuals out there like me.

Edited by Baby Seal Hunter, 11 February 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Someone who wants something from MA to have a place here? Yeah, you are alone for sure. :)

Edited by Adridos, 11 February 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostBaby Seal Hunter, on 11 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Does any one have fond memories of Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf for the xbox console? Don't get me wrong that is by far, not my favorite mech game out there, but it had a great community, fun gameplay, and I really did nothing but fly VTOL for our clan. I was just wondering if there are any like minded individuals out there like me.

Go play Mechwarrior living legends, we have ASF and VTOL in it.

#4 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostBaby Seal Hunter, on 11 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Nope, pretty sure its just you.

I do remember how fragile VTOLS where in MW4. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be in one.

#5 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Tanks, A.A.A., VTOLS, Fighters, Dropships, I'd like to try the lot!

I'll settle for a Raven with good electronics for now though. :-D

#6 TheUncle

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Flying a vtol...
like this one?
Posted Image

Here is your link: MechWarrior Living Legends for Crysis Wars http://www.mwlldownload.com/
:)
+ the wiki article on the hawkmoth. Of course Aeros Tanks, Infantry, Artillery... everything is in MechLiving Legends :)
http://wiki.mechlivi...?title=Hawkmoth

I really love MWLL, and I really recommend any BT Fan out there to test it out. The community is great and you get help in every game.

But overall I think VTOLs Aeros etc do not fit into tight urban combat and overall I am ok with MWO having mechs only - they were my favorite form of vehicle anyways and fighting tanks is not as much appealing -_- :lol: :D

#7 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Just give me LAMs and I would be happy...wishful thinking I know

#8 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostEric darkstar Marr, on 11 February 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Just give me LAMs and I would be happy...wishful thinking I know

Please god no.....

#9 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostTheUncle, on 11 February 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Flying a vtol...
like this one?
Posted Image

Here is your link: MechWarrior Living Legends for Crysis Wars http://www.mwlldownload.com/
+ the wiki article on the hawkmoth. Of course Aeros Tanks, Infantry, Artillery... everything is in MechLiving Legends :)

I really love MWLL, and I really recommend any BT Fan out there to test it out. The community is great and you get help in every game.

But overall I think VTOLs Aeros etc do not fit into tight urban combat and overall I am ok with MWO having mechs only - they were my favorite form of vehicle anyways and fighting tanks is not as much appealing -_- :lol: :D

Sorry but I tried to play MWLL, I even bought a copy of Crysis for it, but then I find it's basically a Battlefield style spawning team death match with me starting in what I suspect was an elemental then having to 'jump jet' into a 'mech (brought back horrific memories of MechAssault 2).

It was pretty impractical to program a Joystick, leaving me piloting a 'mech with keyboard and mouse.

Then when I wanted to try V0.50 to see if it's improved they made it Crysis warhead only.

Don't think that I'm massively knocking it, there was a lot of good there, and it really had the potential to be a good stop gap between official Mechwarrior games, had decent looking visuals and from what I've seen some nice models.

But from a Mechwarrior Perspective there were just one too many FPS 'gamey' elements to be for me. I'm sure others may disagree though.

#10 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

What's with the chopper hate? I would find it fun zipping around giving support, regardless of the fact you sacrifice tons of armor for the mobility. Would I ever use it? Probably not. But I see no problem having VTOLs as long as it isn't a main focus of the game (like MA). I really would prefer to see tanks before aircraft though :)

#11 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

ill try a VTOL and an LAM that could be fun to use

#12 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Not for this game, not how it's set up now. If it became EVE scaled, then that would be much more acceptable.

#13 Rikki Tikki Tavvi

• Pip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth East U.S.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Flying a vtol...
like this one?
Posted Image

Yes that is the VTOL I am talking about. I understand that this game is not being built to support the standard VTOL supply role they are known for, but it would be great to see, some time in a future patch for the game, one put into a command mech role. Seeing that "information warfare" will be an important theme in the upcoming MWO, I see no reason not to eventually include a weaponless armored VTOL with the ability to manually mark targets and foward that information to mechs on the ground. I think it would be fun and just another iteration of the already existing command mech structure.

Edited by Baby Seal Hunter, 11 February 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#14 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hell no, you are not alone.
I'd love to fly air support, so long as it's done well. Those ones in MW4 were fragile, but were piloted by the ***** computer.

I'd be like Maverick, Iceman, Goose and Jester all in one. Only better.

But we all know, combined arms are far in the future.

#15 The unnamed one

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

I remeber "flying" an airospcae fighter in MW2: mercs and it was fun. :) wish for some decient fighters in MWO. :)

#16 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

MA2 was not the best game, but it did span the drought between real BT/MW games.

#17 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Anything besides mechs is going to draw ire rounds in your direction, find cover and return fire.

MW:O is mech-centric (for now) and that's fine, lots to tune and polish with all the extra chunky bits they've added to the soup.

I wouldn't mind seeing something for a strickly support scenario in Conquest mode, even if VTOLs are relegated to salvage/repair with light armanent/long range weaps only.

I'd like to see multiple scenarios on the battle field (i.e. one lance guarding salvage while a VTOL gets it loaded up) so if you're in a new or inexperienced lance you can contribute to the effort with more than just being a gauss catcher.

Remember that 'call airstrike' commander skill? What if you had to have a VTOL pilot to be able to use it? What if he had to deliver it (I dislike auto/off screen resources in any battle, if it shoots at me, I want to be able to shoot back).

Or if you're mech loses a leg and your VTOL could bring you a new one (or you to the MRB to get outfitted) all the while taking fire from enemy mechs.

As long as it's not a OP deathdealer from above, and stays as a support/ancillary item, and comes in down the road once mech warfare is working well, I'll have no issues with it.

Edited by Kaemon, 11 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#18 K Wilson

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFrozen Northlands

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostThe unnamed one, on 11 February 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

I remeber "flying" an airospcae fighter in MW2: mercs and it was fun. :) wish for some decient fighters in MWO. :)

By 'flying' you mean 'using your 30-ton fighter as a giant lawn dart against the nearest assault-class ping you can find', right? Now, I know I may sound cynical (because I am), but I'm going to have to put on the frowning mask when talking about player-piloted VTOL and ASF forces, simply due to the fact that, based on observation of MW:LL's player actions, most anyone who does get into an ASF will invariably snag the smallest, cheapest and fastest one, and use it to play 'Pin the tailfin on the Atlas'

Now, seeing scenarios where there's NPC air assets physically on the map (eg. defending an allied airbase from being overrun, before the allied pilots can escape with their craft) would be interesting, but honestly, I'm glad the devs are focusing on the core of the game; 'Mech versus 'Mech combat. If in part because I won't have to worry about a Yellowjacket gunship popping up from behind a building and pranging a gauss slug into my back, while I'm focusing on the heavy or Assault-class in front of me.

#19 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Flying a vtol...
like this one?
Posted Image

You mean like THIS one:

Posted Image

What isn't to like about 4 Longtoms, 6 ER PPCs, 4 Arrow IVs and a Machine gun?

#20 TripleAwesome

• Pip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY, USA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostK Wilson, on 11 February 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

By 'flying' you mean 'using your 30-ton fighter as a giant lawn dart against the nearest assault-class ping you can find', right? Now, I know I may sound cynical (because I am), but I'm going to have to put on the frowning mask when talking about player-piloted VTOL and ASF forces, simply due to the fact that, based on observation of MW:LL's player actions, most anyone who does get into an ASF will invariably snag the smallest, cheapest and fastest one, and use it to play 'Pin the tailfin on the Atlas'

How does your observation of MW:LL support this in any way? Crashing yourself into a 'mech in a aerospace or VTOL does absolutely nothing to the 'mech. It's just a slightly flashier way of suiciding than going nose-first into the ground.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users