103 replies to this topic

#1 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

So, when did you start playing Mechwarrior?
I've been playing since MW3, my new PC can't run them though.
My dad was into it.

#2 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

I got into it when I was about 8-9 years old, as does probably half of this community, either the dads in their 30s, 40s, and maybe 50s, oif not 60's, or the kinds fresh out of high school.

#3 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

1995. I remember seeing Mechwarrior 2 on the shelf. I had no idea what it was but the box called to me. I recently loaded windows 98 on an old laptop so i could play it again :)

#4 Celestial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

I was 7 and saw the awesome Mechwarrior 2 cover art and asked mommy to buy it for me :)

#5 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I originally started playing MechWarrior 2 when I was... 9? I was at a friend of my mom's house and said friend had a computer, a joystick, and MechWarrior 2 installed. I practically had to be ripped away from the computer!

#6 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

I started with the TT my buddy had 2750 really didn't get too interested. Than he got the box set with the old unseen plastic Miniturs.Took off from there, Now i have hundreds of Miniturs. I played MW2 on playstaton classic. When I joined the Army I got MW 4 when I was stationed in Germany. I was never too happy with the MW's always felt it needed more elements from the TT. But thats just me.

Edited by The Boneshaman, 11 February 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#7 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

When i was about 10 years old.

Got Mechwarrior 2 as a Xmas Pressie.

Was also the day i took the first step towards being an IT nerd. I distinctly remember raging after installing it as i could only see top left corner of the screen, everything else was cut off. Took about 30 mins of messing around before i discoverd screen resolution, and what changing the slider bar would do :huh:

ahh... fun times :)

#8 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Mid 90s'ish when I got MW2 for PC

Edited by =Outlaw=, 11 February 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#9 Deathjester

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

1989 with Mechwarrior 1 and Gideon Braver's Blazing Aces. I can still remember the theme music.

#10 Tuhs Grey

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

I remember renting MW for the SNES at some point when i was younger (prolly 8), only got to play it for a weekend (and kepts dieing). I eventually got MW4 years later and loved the game (and expansions).

#11 Prince Ian Davion

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

MW2 Mercs. I was 4.

My brother played it for a short while then gave it to me. been hooked ever since (Am 19 now.)

Mind you..I taught myself to read at three so I could play Doom.....

#12 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

I can properly trace my exposure to this franchise all the way back to when I was five or so - my dad played some of the BT table top with some guy from work - I had no idea what the game was, but I remember that the little figures were so awesome!
It was years later that I actually got into it though - I hit the books first, then I got into the clickies - right before WizKids went bust. I looked into BattleTech for a bit, but I didn't actually get into computerized MechWarrior proper until, oh, two years ago. I downloaded all the freebie trials I could find, and once MW4 came out or free, I vanished from the face of the earth for at least a month.

And now I'm here.

#13 Sky Blue Boy

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSurrey, England

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

When I was in my early teens, when it was a role playing source book before it was a computer game. I love the rich history of the IS and how FASA conceived a gaming systems that went from BattleTech, to MechWarrior to BattleForce, to Succession Wars encompassing CityTech, Aerospace and so much source background along the way. I would with weep with joy for a system that connected these all together for one massive online community to play from the big picture all the way down to the guy piloting a Pegasus hover tank.

#14 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

Started playing Battletech round 1992ish when i went to secondary school.

Got my first PC two years later and it came with MW2. That got me hooked on the computer games (not MW4 tho) until I moved to uni and fell in with a bunch of hardcore table top gamers again and now I'm once again addicted to that!

#15 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

MW2 when I was 10 in ~1997, then I was totally blown away by the graphics in MW3 (I think it was prettier than MW4). MW4 had the most game-time for me, had my clan, tournaments and all, but now I can't even remember our clan name :huh: MWO should be good :)

#16 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

When my parents upgraded our (Re: "my") home PC (I think it was an 8088 XT with a whopping 4.77mhz speed) with an EGA monitor I could then play Mechwarrior 1.

#17 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

I got into the BTU when I saw the first novel, Decision at Thunder Rift on the shelf just after it came out. The story got me hooked, with some assistance from the awesome pictures of 'Mechs in the back of the book. I've been playing the tabletop game off and on since then. I didn't discover the computer games until MW2 hit the shelves. I decided to go back and try to play the previous games, but they played too quickly on the oldest machine I could find -- as soon as I saw something on the screen, I was dead.

#18 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hard question for me to answer. I got into MechWarrior in 94/95 with Mechwarrior on the SNES and then later Mechwarrior 3050. I was never very good at Mechwarrior 3050, I could get a few levels in, but never beat the game. MechWarrior however, running around blowing things up was always fun, and it was a game I rented quite often. Along with the show, in 94.

MY friend had the PC that could run MechWarrior 2, and we rented it from this place, and brought it to his house loaded it up. He thought it was a neat game. I was like I played something like this before. When I got my chance to strap in. Mad Dog said the Computer Holographic Projection voice. I accepted it, went to the mission screen looked at the objectives (I was maybe 10 now) Went out and did a decent job with the keyboard. My buddy did damn good as he was use to playing decent off the keyboard. I was stung by the PPC bug. Now he rented it, MW2 GBL and MW2 MERCS which he enjoyed the best until MY parents got a PC in 97. That Xmas MW2 was on my present list and I got the Battlepack, MW2 and GBL with a freaking sweet player's guide written by Blaine Lee Pardoe, that I still have and treasure.

After reading the Player's Guide cover to cover and soaking in the Clan Fluff beforehand. I got immersed. Building Mechs, running the Missions. In a few weeks I had the Wolf campaign mostly done and went to the Jade Falcon completed that then finished the Wolf one for some reason. Then came GBL, and finally came me buying Exodus Road. I loved the Clans. But after reading a few more books into the Twilight of the Clans series, finding out the doom and that the writers had it out for Clan Smoke Jaguar I picked up Roar of Honor. Angela Bekker, and then scouring all I could for Lore, I came across http://www.student.n...jbo/history.htm

Everything is from there. I have shifted interested on and off over the years. But twice a year, at some points for over a decade I have come back to Mechwarrior and Battletech because it is just an amazing universe. Now for over two years near straight i have played MWLL for at least a little bit 5 or 6 days of the week. Even is it is just a quick couple lives. Past year I have been diving in to BTU learning as much as I can, nothing else holding my interest much hobby wise. I have a lovely family of 4 here, two toddler sons. One I will get to be a MechWarrior at least with luck. Maybe Keresnky will smile upon me and give me two MechWarriors :)

TL:DR? MECHWARRIOR IS FREAKING AWESOME!!
How awesome?
Spoiler

#19 Ivegotrobits

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOxford

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

My dad got a new computer in 1995 or 1996 that came with Mechwarrior 2 Ati Rage edition for free. I was about 6 years old at the time and remember beating the game before I discovered that there was a mechlab.

#20 nightsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Well Igot into the enitre genre when we purchased the board game back in 1984 I played the board game for years then as I moved into the PC age I did a beta and later purchased a game called Earth Seige which was very much like battletech but with out the story line. I still have that disk in house. Since this was single player the joy ran out after defeating the line 20 times. I then found mplayer in 1998 and the Mech commander series which I played for 3 years till mplayer closed down and sold the game game spy a far inferior product. by then MPBT3025 had launched beta and what a great step into a first person shooter cocpit. I absolutely was hooked I moved into the Mech warrior series having played all the versions. I have all the disks for Mechcommander - gold and mw2-4 and add packs and merc.all up on display waithing for the next to add to it. All the time I still continued to play the board game and collect minitures I have about 500 now and all of the resource books, House historys' and all of the paperback books up through the digital downloads currently coming out.

Long history from what started out as picking up a new board game at the local hobby shop for the christmas holiday in 1984. Can't wait for MWO to start.

Took down my MW4 disks reloaded updated from Mektek last month and dusted off the joystick, man do I love this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users