Clans Implementation - My Speculations

13 replies to this topic

#1 Horatio Blakeney

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

We know little enough that I feel entitled to some speculation, or suggestions, on how the devs will implement the clans when they come along. I have two thoughts:

It seems to me that a system like the Klingons in ST:O makes some sense (not that I know a lot about it). Players with sufficient XP could create an alternate pilot that is part of the clans with beginner stats/no modules. This idea has three things going for it. One, clan players will be better warriors on average than other players, much like they are in the canon. Two, this will probably stem the feared flood of players from the IS to the Clans since only experienced players can do it. Third, this will motivate people to play more so that they can be eligible to play a clan pilot.

My other big thought comes from the fact that in the novels the clans bid decreasing numbers of pilots to accomplish objectives with greater prestige going to sending fewer mechs into battle. This could be implemented by having greater rewards go to clan players in a match who send fewer than maximum numbers of players into the battle. For example if in 12v12 battle the clan players only send in 10 mechs then they get double XP for the battle (not saying that is the real/best rate, just an example). Alternately clan "corps" could bid to fight battles, bidding progressively fewer and fewer mechs. Either system might counter the reality that ton for ton clan mechs are more deadly than IS mechs by encouraging the clans to fight with fewer mechs.

Just some thoughts :)

#2 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I would not hope for that kind of implementation. That would pretty much mean that any clan engagement would have all the clanners consist of very experienced players, and the IS players would be experienced to novice. While this might be in line with the MW universe, this would skew the balance of the game terribly.

I do not have a better implementation in mind atm, especially because the devs haven't told us anything really on how the clan will come into play, but I would presume they will just allow people to make a clan pilot regardless. The fanbase for the game seems evenly divided enough to me to allow the community to be somewhat evenly divided between clans and IS.

#3 Outlaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Hope and Glory

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

The best way to impliment them with balance in mind, is to let players play who they want, but tone down the tech advantage the clanners have. This is just my opinion

#4 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I think if the clans are to have better weaponry/tech then it makes sense that the maximum number of units they can field (if 12v12 is max at launch) should be 10, or 2 stars aka a Binary. Likewise I think it would be awesome for clans to be able to "Bid" on fights by going with less than a Binary, on a point for point basis (point = a single unit in clan). if we ever get up to 16 to 20 per match per side, i think its only fitting clans be able to field a Trinary against it. Point being, in a 12v10 - I.S. vs Clan battle, If the technology advantage is noticeable but not significant, it should be a good fight. Good pilots can turn technological advantages into landslides, so these pilots would natural engage in the bidding process, for greater rewards and bragging rights.

just my 2 cents.

#5 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

You could also make it so that Clans can't use NARC, or possibly C3 Slave systems and the like do to the fact that Clans usually don't use support or team tactics when fighting. This way the IS pilots will have a information and electronic advantage.

Edited by Coralld, 13 February 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#6 Will Hung

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationBohol Island

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

I'd prefer the Clans to be fully non-player character entities. What I'd like to happen is that we could actually acquire some of their technology, albeit it being a slow process of salvaging parts and investing resources on R&D.

#7 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostWill Hung, on 13 February 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

I'd prefer the Clans to be fully non-player character entities. What I'd like to happen is that we could actually acquire some of their technology, albeit it being a slow process of salvaging parts and investing resources on R&D.

this. a well played star of clan mechs would eat 3 lances of IS mechs and still have ammunition left over.

#8 Basch

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostHoratio Blakeney, on 13 February 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

We know little enough that I feel entitled to some speculation, or suggestions, on how the devs will implement the clans when they come along. I have two thoughts:

It seems to me that a system like the Klingons in ST:O makes some sense (not that I know a lot about it). Players with sufficient XP could create an alternate pilot that is part of the clans with beginner stats/no modules. This idea has three things going for it. One, clan players will be better warriors on average than other players, much like they are in the canon. Two, this will probably stem the feared flood of players from the IS to the Clans since only experienced players can do it. Third, this will motivate people to play more so that they can be eligible to play a clan pilot.

How would you continue to do this as the game got older and more players reached the lvl requred for this to happen?
As for the bidding system the only proble i see is the troll who dosent like you so he/she bids 1 mech just so you cant have it.

#9 Horatio Blakeney

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostWill Hung, on 13 February 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

From a game design perspective, I totally agree. This would be fair, clean, and require limited "balancing" to work. Unfortunately, I think some people would become extremely angry if they could not play the Clans.

#10 Horatio Blakeney

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostBasch, on 14 February 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

How would you continue to do this as the game got older and more players reached the lvl requred for this to happen?
As for the bidding system the only proble i see is the troll who dosent like you so he/she bids 1 mech just so you cant have it.

Solid first point.

As to your second point, if the troll bids one mech, then he can do the battle with one mech and lose miserably. Not the kind of thing you would do if you wanted to be part of this community but only had a grudge against one person. But, if he is a real griefer and doesn't care about winning just ruining the bidding the system, then you're right, that is a problem. One limitation is that the bidding system suppose some platoon level leader who has the authority to bid away mechs on behalf of his unit. Griefers are unlikely to be in such a role of authority.

#11 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

I like the bidding process outlined, but as mentioned, clans vs IS with equal or near equal amounts of mechs will turn into a clan win all the time. In the novels, they mentioned the IS could only beat the clans when outnumbering them 3 to 1, at least before tukkayid.

#12 2bad

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

View PostHoratio Blakeney, on 14 February 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

One limitation is that the bidding system suppose some platoon level leader who has the authority to bid away mechs on behalf of his unit. Griefers are unlikely to be in such a role of authority.

I like this idea, we could have someone voted by the players, a leader, have the rigth to bid for the right to fight with is unit.

#13 boogle

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Oops, I just started a very similar topic. Its called clan implementation and is in this same forum. I'd give a synopsis, but it seems like it'd be simpler for people to just go there and read it.

#14 Basch

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostHoratio Blakeney, on 14 February 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Solid first point.

As to your second point, if the troll bids one mech, then he can do the battle with one mech and lose miserably. Not the kind of thing you would do if you wanted to be part of this community but only had a grudge against one person. But, if he is a real griefer and doesn't care about winning just ruining the bidding the system, then you're right, that is a problem. One limitation is that the bidding system suppose some platoon level leader who has the authority to bid away mechs on behalf of his unit. Griefers are unlikely to be in such a role of authority.

This is a very good idea, i might be going overboard but with a system like this inplace we could set up a more true to the canon clan system with the warriors picking the khan to lead them and/or the clan. Again this might be going overboard but i can be hopefull!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users