Unsure about investing

30 replies to this topic

#1 Coaxill

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm a major fan of mechwarrior and battletech in general, however I'm hesitant to slap down 120$ for a beta to a game I'm not sure I'll like, or even if it will run on my computer. I'm not sure how to solve this issue, but is there a way to obtain a refund, or perhaps a long gameplay run so I could at least see how the game functions overall rather than just little snips of action?

#2 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Refund, probably not. You can always just wait for the beta to go public, or just put down $30 just to see if you like it (You probably will) and then upgrade if you do (again, I think this will be the case). However, if you are unsure or unaware of how a Beta works, I'd say, just wait for it to go F2P.

#3 Coaxill

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is there any penalty or fee for getting the 30 dollar package and then upgrading it? Also, how do you enjoy the game? How is it compared to MW4?

#4 Bryan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I would advise you to go for the $30 option. Your concern has been brought up multiple times already, please use the search function in the forum to obtain more info.

Edit: We cannot discuss gameplay as it would be a breach of NDA. No there is no penalty if you upgrade.

Edited by Bryan Kerensky, 28 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#5 Coaxill

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks guys, this has been quite helpful.

#6 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

You can upgrade to the 60 dollar package and then to the 120 if you really want to. Its a little easier on the wallet and the mind if you do it over time I suppose. If I knew anything about the game I would say its not a lot like MW4, but it's still very fun (but clearly I don't know anything cause I'm totally not in beta ^_^ )

Edited by Team Leader, 28 August 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#7 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

I can already tell you just from the trailers that this will far surpass MW4 in terms of use of strategy and immersion. (Especially since MW4 was quite lacking in both of those departments.) Don't get me wrong, MW4 was great if you like to run and gun, but It's obvious that MWO will have a level of immersive simulation that most mechwarrior fans have craved ever since they got their hands on MW2 and 3 back in the day.

#8 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I agree that MW4 left alot to be desired in the sim department. It was simplified compared to the options found in MW2 and MW3. It was a step toward arcadizing the MW franchise which seemed even more likely with the MAs being published. But, MW4 was still great considering it how playable it was after you got past the difficult install. It also sustained the community for nearly 10 years with Mekteks updates. Thats impressive.

Yes, MWO is much more of what the fans have wanted. Its takes BT canon as its reference. Its an immersive PC sim focused on pilot experience where personal skill matters. It is variant-oriented combat with hard points rather than non canon open builds resulting in uber mechs. And it follows the classic BT timeline of battles and events that follow up to the clan invasion and beyond. If MWO achieves what PGI has planned, it will hit the bullseye over and over for what fans crave.

Thats a good reason to invest. We've dreamed of something like this for years.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 29 August 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#9 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

I can see you are already Legendary now but fyi you could have bought Veterans for 30$ then later upgraded if you decided the game was worth more investment.(Which I believe it is. I recommend a 60$ if possible)

#10 Talono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 277 posts
  • LocationTerra-Malediven

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

I would recommend the 30$, you need only beta access, all of the founder mech variants are, unfortunately, trash variants easily beaten in battle by any other variant of the same mech.

The game itself is the best ever, by far better than any other mechgame before.

Edited by Talono, 29 August 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#11 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

They have other founders packages. You dont have to buy the $120 one.

#12 Mordino

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationEU/RF

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

A little too late. Legendary it izz. :)

Edited by Mordino, 30 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#13 PR1VATEER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Anyone who starts a post with "I'm a major fan of mechwarrior and battletech in general" I wonder why do they even give it a second thought??? The second i learned about this game I plunked down my $60 in a heartbeat! I have been waiting ten years for this game!

#14 Justin Xang Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostCoaxill, on 28 August 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

I'm a major fan of mechwarrior and battletech in general, however I'm hesitant to slap down 120$ for a beta to a game I'm not sure I'll like, or even if it will run on my computer. I'm not sure how to solve this issue, but is there a way to obtain a refund, or perhaps a long gameplay run so I could at least see how the game functions overall rather than just little snips of action?

Well I did, and I am having a BLAST!!!!!! If your worried, go cheap and see if it will work. Its worth it!

#15 RockWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

I will do what you guys are saying. I will put 30$ forward than I hope I can upgrade with no penalties right? Lets see if my comp can run this baby.

#16 Coaxill

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostMordino, on 30 August 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

A little too late. Legendary it izz. :)

Indeed
I am enjoying it quite a lot

#17 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostTalono, on 29 August 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I would recommend the 30$, you need only beta access, all of the founder mech variants are, unfortunately, trash variants easily beaten in battle by any other variant of the same mech.

The game itself is the best ever, by far better than any other mechgame before.

This is sadly the truth. They seemed to pick the worst variant for each Mech to drop the Founder's on. Was it so we wouldn't want to grind their boosts as much? We now have to play crappy variants just to use our boosts. :) I wish they'd just let us pick our own for each Mech and save us the trouble of feeling stiffed.

#18 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

I still hold the best value for the money is Elite, but if you want to help fund the project there's no harm in going Legendary if you can afford it.

I'm not just a big enough of a fan of the Atlas, Hunchback or Jenner (despite liking all of them!) to need to collect them all. I know they'd just gather dust in my bay.

Had they put in a Legendary Awesome, Stalker or Trebuchet I'd been very tempted, though.

#19 Asgeir

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have to say, I completely disagree with the thought that the variants provided by the Legendary pack are trash. With the appropriate upgrades, any variant can be used with great success. That is the mark of a good pilot, and a good technician. The variants provided will work, you just need to tweak them to your personal play style.

Edited by Asgeir, 30 August 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#20 SmokeyKilla

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

after playing MWO i wouldnt waste my money buying a founders pack with comments like

"Massive dissapointment with everything from graphics to firing mechanics to **** FPS on all but the highest end machines to general dis-satisfaction with the engine the game is built in have all been overheard on my clan's teamspeak. Unless MASSIVE changes are made, I don't see MWO taking us away from world of tanks."

and compared to Mechwarrior Living Legends the game needs a lot of work.......it looks and plays like an alpha not a beta.
check around on the net for videos players have posted and you will see what i mean

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users