Clan Implementation

7 replies to this topic

#1 boogle

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have been thinking about how to best implement the arrival of the clans and their technology and I believe that I have come up with a solution. First I must list a few facts:

Not only was clan technology vastly superior to that of the inner sphere, but clan warriors were also far more skilled than their inner sphere counterparts.

Clan technology was never meant to be "balanced" with inner sphere tech (a la mech 4) but is unequivocally superior.

Each clan was at a tremendous numerical and industrial disadvantage compared to the great houses.

With this in mind I believe that each invading clan should be small, equipped with the best technology, and composed of only the highest skilled pilots. With these parameters in mind it becomes immediately obvious that we cannot allow anyone and everyone to join a clan; this would water down their superiority and detract a lot from the atmosphere and canon of the universe.

To address this, I propose that there be a series of trials to determine who would be allowed admittance to the 6 invading clans. I propose either a single elimination bracket of 64 (1 vs 1) with the winner gaining admittance to the clan of his choice, or a 64 man grand melee with the winner getting the same thing. The brackets/melees (possibly both) would continue until all 6 clans are filled to capacity. This system would guarantee that only the most skilled would gain admittance, which would make the clans the truly fearsome fighting force that they are meant to be.

But wait....there's more! We keep talking about what exactly people would be willing to pay for in this game and I believe that I have found something with this; every tournament slot would cost $1. This is a pittance to any individual player but could add up to some serious money for piranha. It would have the added benefit of discouraging people from clogging up the tourneys with a dozen different smurf accounts.

Feel free to respond with comments, suggestions or amplifications. Please, though, respond to the idea and the monetary aspect of the idea separately; I do not want a bunch of criticism over the cost to detract from a legitimate discussion of the idea itself. Thanks!

#2 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

you mean a series of Trials of Bloodright...im down to claim my bloodname

#3 boogle

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Why was this moved??? This is a discussion about the implementation of clans in MWO; move it back, please.

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

I understand the Clans shoould be supiror players as to keep with the Clan Lore... but, a grand Melee is not the answer and a series of 1 v 1 would take way to long to do. A Grand Melee's main problem is it often has little to do with skill and more to do with being able to skirt around combatants and waiting until most of the competition is out and then to attack, so it can often have just as much to do with luck as any skill.

I do agree a fee to join the Clans should happen. It is a nice legit cashgrab, but also a certain rank level to open up the Clans. I will gladly pay ten dollars to transfer my char to the Clans when they come B) Or 5 dollars to unlock it and to work my way back up.

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

View Postboogle, on 14 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Why was this moved??? This is a discussion about the implementation of clans in MWO; move it back, please.

But the Clans are not in until about half a year after launch, and as such does not pertain to MWO at launch, so the Clan section is where it resides. A lot of topics have been moved for that reason. B)

#6 Lorcan Lladd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

It seems far more adequate to restrict admission into Clan gameplay based on other, more stable and verifiable variables such as loyalty points and rank - for one thing, this ensures that each clanner has spent some time as a Sphere pilot and has won some battles on the behalf of the Houses, thus preventing the Inner Sphere from becoming depopulated too quickly.
Even then it seems unavoidable that it would struggle with numbers.

A viable solution to balance the Clans for multiplayer gameplay against the Inner Sphere would be to restrict Clan forces based on Battle Value, so that only a relatively small and outnumbered force of clanners would engage a larger force of Sphere 'Mechs, thus denying any blatant advantage to the players on the Clan side and make it less viable for the least skilled players.
Which are most likely the majority.

Further impeding a mass of players from migrating to Clan, certain restrictions on their rules of engagement as well as command and scout modules should be enacted, preventing clanners from sharing targetting and spotting information and Clan pilots from installing modules to call in artillery or concentrated fire from attack 'Mech, and therefore from generally benefitting from or exploiting multiple units tactics.

I do think this has been suggested by a lot of players, recently, too.

All of that would restrict the general tactical capacity of clanners, forcing them to rely more on superior individual pilot skill to win matches, rather than numbers and strategies, whilst naturally attracting suitable pilots and repelling unsuitable ones.
In theory - I admit it could not work in reality, because, derp.

Anyway, it seems to be the most correct, lore-wise, and viable way to implement the clanners as playable factions.

Oh, and I also like the idea to impart a light one-time fee on players going Clan.

#7 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

The easiest way of implementing them and keeping the 'feel' would simply be to stagger the mission unit cap to 12 Inner Sphere vs 10 Clanners (Company vs Binary) also don't allow mercs or lone wolves to work for or with the clans. Add an xp bonus to the clan team for 'solo kills' (partly a catch-up mechanic since they will be released later) which also encourages clan-like behavior. Quick an easy. B)

#8 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostMilitantMonk, on 14 February 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

The easiest way of implementing them and keeping the 'feel' would simply be to stagger the mission unit cap to 12 Inner Sphere vs 10 Clanners (Company vs Binary) also don't allow mercs or lone wolves to work for or with the clans. Add an xp bonus to the clan team for 'solo kills' (partly a catch-up mechanic since they will be released later) which also encourages clan-like behavior. Quick an easy. :(

I like where your head as at, but do not take away the batchall. The bidding will take care of the imbalance.

Edited by Ravn, 14 February 2012 - 08:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users