A Page From The Pillar of Steel

15 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

(14 February 3049)

The thrum of a happy, productive hive pulses through the soles of my bootie-shod shoes. The constant motion of workers; the hum of massive machinery; the guttural howl of engines testing: an all-pervasive sense of obligation and duty from machine to man washes my senses with pride. Even though I am only a few steps inside Wakazashi Enterprises’ satellite facility on Schuyler, I smile despite formality.

Like a Beauchene Skull, entry into the plant’s showroom brings into view an exquisite monument to man’s technology: a Sai aerospace fighter disarticulated with the care of a medical cadaver. Hoisted at a 90-degree angle, every piece of the craft is held in place by tens of thousands of clear monofilaments to create a fully realized 3D exploded view of the pride of the Draconis Combine Admiralty.

“Wakazashi Enterprises has fully embraced the return of Star League technology,” our guide states firmly, hands lifting towards the art-like piece above him as though in reverence. “As you can see, the S-4 mounts state-of-the-art armor, extended range large lasers and wing-mounted medium pulse lasers. The S-4 is also the first mass-produced fighter to mount an extra-light engine.” As he speaks with authority (perhaps even flair), his hands wave, directing our sight to the various components suspended meters above our heads.

As other reporters’ voices join the dialogue, my feet pull me towards a massive wall of glass separating the showroom from the factory proper. Nose almost pressed against glass, I peer into the depths of the cavernous hangar; though impossible, my olfactory senses bring up canned memories of scorched steel, acerbic fuels, the tang of cleaning agents.

My mind churns over the knowledge that the facility comprises some two hundred and fifty thousand square meters, but its sheer size balks at any such analytical description. The hangar is so large, the curvature of Schulyer hides the floor on the far side, while my sharp eyes lose details in a shadowed haze of distance.

An army of some four thousand workers crawls through the titanic room; shepherds to their flocks of budding aerospace fighters that will eventually span the depths of space across hundreds of border worlds to protect the Combine.

A worker in drab-colored overalls is suspended upside down, arms snaking behind latticed support work, fine-tuning an engine assembly. He pauses, wiping sweat from his brow, and our eyes meet. I carefully step backwards and bow. His eyes widen before a grin splits his face and he does his best at an inverted small bow in return. Our eyes exchange smiles as he returns to his duty.

The warriors of the Pillar of Steel are to be lauded for their bravery and dedication. But all too often, the humble worker is forgotten. Without their weapons, our warriors would stand naked.

To all those who labor in your own way to protect our beloved Dragon, I salute you.

—Shintaro Maku, Combine Press

#2 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

"...aerospace fighters..."

Stop. Teasing. Us.

Pleeaase.

#3 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Excellent B)

#4 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

YEESSSS!

#5 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Kind of made sense if they planned on giving the Commanders access to airstrikes B) this just confirms it for me ;)

Edited by Blackfang, 14 February 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#6 Damien Matashy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wakazashi Enterprises is not only a Aerospace fighter production company. They also produce the Panther series of mechs (10K,12A,16k,13k). and the bombardier mech. they also cover several different items and weapons in the factories that they have on 6 planets.

Edited by Damien Matashy, 14 February 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#7 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Love the fact that they are openly advertising the IS versions of ERLL, Pulse Lasers, and the XL engine. It would have been nice to start with and have fun for 3 months or so with the older variants, but at least I am not consigned to hoping for a lucky salvage from a Clanner to get these lovely toys.

#8 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Excellent, another valuable planet worth conquering!

#9 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

lots of good info there and the Sai sounds like a fun ride
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sai

#10 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Logging onto this website is awesome because there's fresh updates almost, if not everyday. Helps me rest assured knowing there's a game development team that is working day & night - *even on the weekends* - to create the next step in this wonderful series!

#11 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

An army of some four thousand workers crawls

This is all I gathered from this article. We will liberate you Combine worker-slaves!

#12 Damon Howe

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

....Areospace Fighters.....

...Clan Snow Raven....

Yes.

#13 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostDamocles, on 14 February 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

This is all I gathered from this article. We will liberate you Combine worker-slaves!

I concur! Everyone, to the Combine! We must save these poor saps!

Edited by Dihm, 15 February 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#14 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

What I gathered from this is that Dracs wear booties.

Perhaps the recent rediscovery of Star League technology will usher in a new era of prosperity, such that every Combine citizen will be entitled to a onesie.

#15 Breakout

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostDihm, on 15 February 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

I concur! Everyone, to the Combine! We must save these poor saps!

It appears that Clan Smoke Jaguar will be doing their own form of "liberation" soon to these factory workers.

#16 Reb

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Areo Space fighters would be very cool add on to the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users