I want to make the 3048 IS Map into a poster...need help.

14 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hey all i play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and i love it. I currently own the Collector's Edition and aside from the dragon that came with it, i mostly got the CE of Skyrim for the cloth map that came with it that i keep hanging on my wall next to my PC. Doing this has really enhanced my ability to enjoy Skyrim even though Skyrim has an ingame map.

When MWO comes out i want to do the same thing. Below is a link to the 3048 map:
http://www.mwowiki.o...Sphere_3048.png

This is the most detailed map i can find of the IS during 3048 but i can't "blow it up" after downloading it so that i can zoom in and see every little detail.

What i'm trying to accomplish is this:
1. Try to find the most detailed map i can find of the Inner Sphere and download it.
2. Take this downloaded file and go to a kinko's and pay to have a huge, custom map tha ti can hang on my wall so that i'll have an easy point of reference while playing MWO. I know that MWO will most likely have it's own ingame map and it'll probably be as detailed as Skryim's ingame map(if not more) but based on my experience with Skyrim it would still help...not to mention it would be totally AWESOME.

So does anybody know where i can find a detailed 3048 map like in the link shared in this post that i can use to print out and hang on my wall?

Any help would be great.

#2 Alkero

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

I really like this idea, it just makes the whole, "I'm a mechwarrior who is burning a path across the stars." sorta come to reality, not to mention it is just AWESOME :)

#3 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hey i turns out i found the link to a "zoom in capable" version of the link just after posting this, lol. so nevermind i guess.

If there is anybody else out there who wants to do this also, here is a link to a "zoom-in" capable 3048map in all it's detail and glory right here:
http://www.mwowiki.o...Sphere_3048.png

#4 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Something else to check out

http://btengineer.bl...rtographer.html

It's a little program called CBT Cartographer. I'm just starting to mess with it but it looks like a full map of the IS. Not sure if you can take a screenshot or not.

This guy is nuts. The planets all have info if you click on them and it plots jump points. /boogle

Maybe shoot him an email and see if for some reason he has a large image of the entire IS

I just plotted a jump path from Northwind to Sarna. Awesome.

I like how there's a planet Here. And one named A Place

Edited by Sug, 15 February 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#5 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

You can get it in PDF
http://www.sarna.net...ategory:Planets
They don't have 3048 specifically though

Edited by nubnub, 15 February 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#6 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Nice

#7 Fury1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWaiting for the perfect moment...to STRIKE!

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

I think it would be cool if it could be colored with similar colors and inks as a military topo map and on similar paper

#8 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

I used local maps from Sarna.net to create a (roughly) 60" x 80" map of the Inner Sphere. It isn't perfect, but I have half a wall covered by the Inner Sphere. It was a pain to hang up, but worth it.

#9 Fury1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWaiting for the perfect moment...to STRIKE!

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Post some pics if you dont mind, I'd like to see that :)

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

If you take the MWOwiki image and expand it to 100dpi resolution, then the resulting image is 51" wide by 33" tall. Unfortunately, the words don't come out clearly, so the best you might want is 200dpi @ 34" wide by 22" tall.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 15 February 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#11 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

I believe the map already exists. I don't think the borders really changed after the birth of the Ras Republic until the Clan Invasion. Therefore, there should be a map out there already showing the end results of the Ronin Wars and the War of 3039.

#12 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

For printing, you'll definitely want to find something that uses vector graphics instead of a fixed size like the .png image file. Printing that image out at a normal 300 pixels per inch will give you a poster that is 17''x11'', which isn't terrible large. Decreasing the PPI will make the image bigger but at a cost to quality. Vector images will scale up and down without becoming distorted. If you manage to track down a .pdf or .psd of the 3048 Inner Sphere map, definitely post up here!

Edited by Seth, 15 February 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#13 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostSeth, on 15 February 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

For printing, you'll definitely want to find something that uses vector graphics instead of a fixed size like the .png image file.

Excellent idea... however the .png might be of high enough quality to import it into a program that utilizes vector imaging to then be scaled up.

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Doesn't the 25th Anniversary Box come with a map poster?

Edit: Yes. http://www.youtube.c...fQ8nlwCo#t=422s

Edited by Sug, 16 February 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#15 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Poster sized maps? Sounds like a good idea for mechandise...

I've got a map of 3067 hanging right above my computer, but I'd rather have one from 3025.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users