The Big Y - Y Is The Lyran Comm. Your Home?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Wilhelm von Venhaus

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPlanet Eilenburg, Soilihull OA, Mark Tamarind

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

This thread is about the big question: why?

Why are you here? Why are you NOT here?
Why do you consider the Lyran Commonwealth your pilot's home? Why not?
Why do you follow House Steiner? Why not?

This is partly about roleplay, as your pilot's are (possibly) not your true selfs... and it is RL, because the storyworld around the Lyran Comm. and House Steiner appeal to YOU.

This MIGHT be a guide for Rookies and those with mere interest to see why other players joined the Lyran Comm. and decided to follow House Steiner.... or not.
This is not just for actual players/pilots of the Lyran Commonwealth, but also for those who have not joined us... and prefered other factions. Ergo: this is not just about praise... it's about real and fictional reasons!

#2 Friedrich Wilhelm von Venhaus

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPlanet Eilenburg, Soilihull OA, Mark Tamarind

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

RP reasons:
- grown up as part of the Lyran Comm.
- as a citizen of one of the borderworlds being harassed by raids of the FWL
- Propaganda, propaganda, propaganda

RL reasons:
- I love the European imprint on the Lyran Comm., especially of course the German, Irish-Scottish and the French influences...
- I am NOT here because of the mercantile imprint
- I am into European history, and thus into the political structure of the Lyran Commonwealth
- the Lyran Comm. is big, but not THAT powerful... I like that, and have a clear dislike for clearly overwhelming powerfull factions... I am quite fond of the underdog. Although the Lyran Alliance is a quite big underdog. :D

#3 OMEGA-CHI

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

I was born here, for one thing. We manage to survive our own indiscretions thanks to the advancements in technology.
Maybe one day our house will hold the technology to rule the entire Inner Sphere.

DFA

#4 Viking520

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I am not, because I never was attracted to a monarchist galactic state. But I'm more of a space viking.

#5 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

As a cousin of the Archon, born on Tharkad, was there really any other choice? Plus, I like blue.

#6 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Why am I here? To keep worlds form falling to the Falcons.

#7 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'm here to conquer Lyran worlds. At least the Free Skye movement has it right, leave the skirt-strings of the Archons. Free Syke!!

#8 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSummer, Skye Federation

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Lord Ikka.../tiphat !

Free Skye!

Posted Image

#9 ManMuffin

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm here for one reason,

TO KILL CLAN BUDGIE WHEN THEY SHOW THEIR SMUG FACES AND BATHE THEM IN THEIR OWN GENETICALLY MUTATED BLOOD!!!

And i like blue :)

#10 Tharkan Stuermer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

There are quite a few reasons, why I play for House Steiner almost since I began playing BattleTech:

First of alI really like the storyline. From a military point of view, House Steiner was always some kind of a underdog, despite the fact that they had the best equipment, and very capable, and very well trained soldiers, but an incompetent and corrupt military leadership. I also like the defensive stance of the Lyran military, which is much more appealing, than House Davion's imperialism, or House Kurita's aggressions. In addition, the LyrCom has always had a desperate streak, especially against the DC. However, the LyrCom managed to fight itself back into the game during the 3rd Succession War, even before they allied themselves with House Davion, and ultimatively to turn the tables against the Dracs during the 4th Succession War. Considering, that both the DC and the FWL concentrated their forces on the LyrCom for most of the succession wars, that is quite a feat :D

In fact, House Davion could only reorganize the AFFS into the uber-military they are in 3025, because the Dracs concentrated most their forces against the Lyrans, and because House Liao was not capable to mount significant attacks against anyone (House Liao was already almost being destroyed during the 3rd Succession War, and only survived because House Davion chose to settle some internal affairs first).

I also like the Lyran society. They're very open minded, the LyrCom is mentioned to have many talented artists, they're educated, pracmatical, and dedicated to peace, and their freedoms. Like I wrote before, there are even several planets, which are ruled by anarchy in the UK, erm, the LyrCom, of course :)

As a German, I also like their background, as they have significant Irish, English, Spanish, French, Eastern European, and of course German influences.

However, I initially joined the LyrCom because some of my friends played a Lyran regiment as a Chapter in the NDV, a German Battletech club, I have to admit :)

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I like big, iron fists.

I...probably should have kept that to myself.

#12 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Because I like their lore and the Assault Mechs.

#13 Renaissance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNew Jerusalem, Tharkad

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

I saw the 3050 political map and decided to make my choice based on who had the most territory. Since we're married into the Davions, and as such we're the Federated Commonwealth... we have the most stuff.

Our capital world is an iceball which appeals to my desire to run energy weapons, we're the richest state in the IS -- which appeals to my desire to have the best of everything. And yes, we are for the most part... merchants and capitalists. Or as someone once said... merchants and traders who happen to also be warriors.

The Lyrans also seem to be one of the more politically liberal states, compared to the police states of the Draconis Combine or Capellan Confederation. While a very great part of me would have enjoyed House Kurita, and their sense of bushido... my heart is with the Lyrans. There's no other state that could accomodate and honor a polymath such as myself, where my love for the fine arts, education, technology, medicine, politics, and economics can be just as important as my ability to pilot a giant robot.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

RP reasons:
Our merc unit makes a good living here.
OOG reasons:
I've liked the house since I played the very first Battletech computer game (Crecent Hawk's Inception)

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

My Dad was a Knight of the Realm. I had no choice but to continue to faithfully serve The Commonwealth.

Oh and Timbique Dark.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 15 August 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

Ummmmm.....

Look at my name. Did I have much choice? I am the nephew of Duke Frederick Steiner. I have spent 20 years atoning for his sins. But thanks to Aunt Nondi's incompetence, I am rather more proud to be the first Lyran accepted into MIIO's MI6. At least as a retired Rabid Fox, I got to know what competence was.

That said, no matter the incompetence of many of our Generals, I am still a son of the Commonwealth.

#17 Tharkan Stuermer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 August 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Ummmmm.....

Look at my name. Did I have much choice? I am the nephew of Duke Frederick Steiner. I have spent 20 years atoning for his sins. But thanks to Aunt Nondi's incompetence, I am rather more proud to be the first Lyran accepted into MIIO's MI6. At least as a retired Rabid Fox, I got to know what competence was.

That said, no matter the incompetence of many of our Generals, I am still a son of the Commonwealth.

Nondi Steiner was quite capable indeed, and commanded the LCAF with great success during the 4th Succession War, and the War of 3039 (the assassination attempt against her was most crucial for Theodore's strategy against the Lyrans during that war). She also pushed forward Katrina Steiner's (you know, the Archon, not the Archon-Princess) agenda, of cleaning the LCAF of corruption in general, and especially the Lyran's social generals.

Unfortunately, she severly suffered from the ongoing pro-Davion, and anti-Steiner FIAT, after the seccession of the Lyran Alliance, and that has befallen the entire BT-universe after the Clan-Invasion. In fact, Nondi would have been between 80 and 90 years old, when she was supposed to 'fight' Peter Steiner-Davion during the Battle of Tharkad.

However, since the line developers successfully killed the post-Clan-Invasion era off due to loop-sided, and completely illogical plots, that doesn't matter anymore.

Edited by Tharkan Stuermer, 20 August 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#18 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

As a citizen of the Tamar Pact we are in constant trouble with the red snakes called Draconis Combine! I don't feel comfortable to share the furture with these fanatical an sneaky people lead like puppets by their brutal pupeteer called the coordinator.
As part of the Lyran Commonwealth we also serve our beloved Archon! So let's crush some metal snakes ...

#19 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

The mailed fist is the family crest of one branch of my family RL, only I think the RL one is more creative, as it holds thunder bolts and is projecting from a cloud.

Also its none of the other houses, of which I described the reasons in another similar post

#20 Fhaolu58

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaylortown, NW Louisiana USA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

I joined because of my Celtic heritage is more represented although I'm not really into riches..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users