Terrain and outside influences

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Do want terrain/enviormental effects to be a factor in combat? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

How much should terrain effect combat?

1. None, keep it all about Mech on Mech action. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. A little, would only give a small edge to those who tried to capitalize on it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Moderate, it should be a factor but one that could be overcome with skill (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. Game changing, It should be such an issue that if a Team A prepares for it and Team B doesn't there should be almost no way for Team B to win. (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

5. Variable, On a Planet to Planet Basis. (11 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

If you do want the terrain to be a factor, what do you want it to effect? (check all that you want to see)

1. Heat (26 votes [18.31%])

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

2. Overall Speed (muddy terrain) (26 votes [18.31%])

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

3. Weapon Accuracy (15 votes [10.56%])

Percentage of vote: 10.56%

4. Weapon Range (19 votes [13.38%])

Percentage of vote: 13.38%

5. Radar/Information sharing Range (24 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

6. Visual Range (28 votes [19.72%])

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

7. Other (please detail in a post) (4 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Basically I was wondering what people thought about outside influences on your mech and how much they should effect game play?

By that I mean things like heat as the easy example, lets say its a sub-zero planet so your heat is less of a factor so you can custom your mech to one with less heat control and more damage output vs the opposite which would be a jungle location or volcanic combat zone making high heat a real danger. Or Jungle vs Urban effecting your weapon load-out for optimal ranges.

Personally I would LOVE various outside factors to effect combat. It adds that layer of immersion for me and not just heat but almost everything I listed in the poll on a planet to planet basis.

Thoughts?

Edited by Dakkonn, 20 February 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#2 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

*casts votes*

"Poll: Do want terran/enviormental effects to be a factor in combat?
How much should terran effect combat?
If you do want the terran to be a factor, what do you want it to effect?"

Ahem... :)

Terran: "something originating from, alike to, or pertaining to Terra (Earth)"
vs
Terrain: "a tract of land, especially as considered with reference to its natural features, military advantages, etc."

(I'm sorry... ;))

#3 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

I really really hope they have planets with significant effects. Major one not on your list is gravity- jump range, etc.

#4 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Here I was thinking this was going to be a post about Comstar and periphery influence.

Variable from planet to planet.

It should definitely affect heat..A LOT.

It should effect speed to a large degree, and could effect mechs differently depending on their weight. (Assaults getting slowed down to a much higher degree in swamp lands compared to lights.

Fog and smoke could effect visual range

Not to sure about accuracy and weapons range, but it could be interesting. And obvious implementation is lowered accuracy while moving through bumpy terrain. But I think it would be very annoying if windy conditions lowered accuracy across the board or lowered weapons range. You need to make it very obvious to the player whats going on, so they can adjust accordingly.

Not sure how Radar/Information sharing Range could be affected by terrain beyond than the LOS system they are already going to implement.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 20 February 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#5 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'd like to see chance of skidding on ice etc

#6 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 20 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

*casts votes*

"Poll: Do want terran/enviormental effects to be a factor in combat?
How much should terran effect combat?
If you do want the terran to be a factor, what do you want it to effect?"

Ahem... ^_^

Terran: "something originating from, alike to, or pertaining to Terra (Earth)"
vs
Terrain: "a tract of land, especially as considered with reference to its natural features, military advantages, etc."

(I'm sorry... :))

Fixed (Sorry, play/watch to much StarCraft I usually mix those two up without even noticing ;) )

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 20 February 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I really really hope they have planets with significant effects. Major one not on your list is gravity- jump range, etc.

I thought of that but was going to call it 'Weight Limits' IE over all tonnage limited due to gravity or jump jet reduction based on it but wasn't sure on it. (Was something to think about but wanted to get the basics out of the way)

View Post=Outlaw=, on 20 February 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Here I was thinking this was going to be a post about Comstar and periphery influence.

Variable from planet to planet.

It should definitely affect heat..A LOT.

It should effect speed to a large degree, and could effect mechs differently depending on their weight. (Assaults getting slowed down to a much higher degree in swamp lands compared to lights.

Fog and smoke could effect visual range

Not to sure about accuracy and weapons range, but it could be interesting. And obvious implementation is lowered accuracy while moving through bumpy terrain. But I think it would be very annoying if windy conditions lowered accuracy across the board or lowered weapons range. You need to make it very obvious to the player whats going on, so they can adjust accordingly.

Not sure how Radar/Information sharing Range could be affected by terrain beyond than the LOS system they are already going to implement.

Well weapon accuracy I was thinking about based on planets with a high amount of magnetic interference mucking up missiles guidance or causing your targeting computer to act...squirrely.

Radar range can be affected by a lot of things including but not limited to false positives. (there are multiple vision modes so you can have false positives for each type).

The only reason I don't like effecting mechs speed to much is we don't want the games to slow down to much. I kinda like the idea but its not my top 3.

#7 Jerzy

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Things like line of sight could be great. If team A has scouts out, calling in positions and team B doesn't then team A for example can keep terrain between themselves and the enemy all the while launching LRM's over the hill onto team B.

#8 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Friction should change depending on gravity and the terrain you're on.

#9 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

The more variables the better.

Homogenized gameplay FTL!

#10 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

I could see an atmosphere say fogg filled with certain chemicals that leave lasers useless or filled with other things that leave missiles inoperable ,
in cold space heat would not effect a mech at all

how about heavy gravity that makes jump jets useless or a light gravity that lets jump jets almost fly continually.

or a lake of oil that catches fire if hit . rivers of molten lava sending your heat index through the roof.

I say bring it on , anything some one can think of ,at least try it.

#11 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

Weather effects are actually one of the things I did like in MW4 and would use as an example. They had everything from clear, sunny skies to pea soup fog, from day to night, and from no weather effects to things like rain. They also had heat indexes for operational areas (maps) so if a map was hotter (higher heat index) then your mech heated up faster using weapons, and when it was cooler (like a space planet map) then it took a lot more for your mech to heat up.

#12 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

wait for the next Q&A and ask the Devs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users