Account Alts allowed per Log-in Email Account?

38 replies to this topic

#21 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

With this being F2P, logically, as many free emails as you can setup will equate to as many accounts that you can create. They need to be very careful and ensure that they don't provide any free resources per account that can be transferred (or converted and then transferred) to another, otherwise you just open the game up to farming.

In effect, this game will not support banning, because the game is F2P.

#22 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

Being able to fight for different houses under different names would be nice for RP, then again it might get abused.
"Trololo, I'mma dedicate all my losses today to [house/faction]!"
Then again, the same is possible with multiple accs.

We don't know anything about how baby is formed clanners are selected yet, so it could be possible you could unlock a second pilot later.

Personally, I'd prefer 4 pilot slots, so you could use one pilot for each weight class.
Choosing a different pilot would be much more convenient than logging out and back again into a different acc.

Edited by Exilyth, 20 February 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#23 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Again we know people will do it , I have a kid who might want to play, think im gonna give him my Mech?
hey dad can i have the keys to the Atlas? NO......

anyway Id rather the DEVs had a little bit of the control and we all want flexibility , dont limit stuff .

#24 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Meh, like it is so hard these days to get a throwayway E-Mail address to make a secondary account... Even an IP check won't help that much, as dynamic IPs and going via proxy can thwart that verification idea as well.

View PostExilyth, on 20 February 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Personally, I'd prefer 4 pilot slots, so you could use one pilot for each weight class.
Choosing a different pilot would be much more convenient than logging out and back again into a different acc.

Well, with an eye on PGI's financial interest I'd rather suggest 2 free pilot slots and for more you'd have to pay a visit to the cash shop... ;)

#25 NeoDac

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 82 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

This is obviously a tricky issue. to make a point from the "my kid wants to play" standpoint assuming everyone is truthfull (which they obviously arent) most e-mail providers will not give a child under i think its 13 but it could be older an e-mail address. So which do we advocate? lying to the e-mail providers to get the kid an account and access to the game or a spare pilot slots to let them make their own characters? Faction loyalty also seems like a good reason to have multiple slots (even if you have to pay for additional). as is the simple fact that sometimes you just want to be a newb again sometimes you want to get out of your tricked out everything is golden acount and play like you just started with everything stacked against you again and feel the rush of "earning" everything all over.

#26 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

If you want to charge for additional 'Mech bays you kind of need to have a one account per person limit. Otherwise nothing stops you from opening multiple accounts with different 'Mechs.

You could still have multiple faction affiliated pilots, but we should restrict the number of accounts.

Edited by autogyro, 20 February 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#27 MajorLeeHung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMerced, CA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Only 4 mech slots doesn't really cater to the person who wants a large mech collection. I know you can always make more accounts as its free to play but some people want all there stuff on one account. Im an avid world of tanks player and I play every faction on the same account and have almost 20 tanks between 4 factions. I know id be willing to pay a LITTLE bit more for extra mech bays on one pilot

Yes, Im one of those ppl who want it all on one account to show off to friends =P plus I hate being bothered with logging between accounts and having CC info on multiple accounts doesn't do anything for me!

Just my 2 C-Bills worth....

#28 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 20 February 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Again we know people will do it , I have a kid who might want to play, think im gonna give him my Mech?
hey dad can i have the keys to the Atlas? NO......

anyway Id rather the DEVs had a little bit of the control and we all want flexibility , dont limit stuff .

You know, with Successor State™ Insurance, you can protect the ones you love while providing yourself the peace of mind with Assault Class BattleMech Armor Levels. Remember, you're in good actuators with Successor State™

#29 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

I can the logic between both arguements, now all we have to do is wait and see wht the devs actually do.

#30 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

I like having multiple characters. If I want a House guy to solely specialize in scouting and light mechs, I got him. If i feel like playing a merc character specialized in the assault role, I have him. When the clans come out and I have my Vulture pilot, there he is. When Battle armor becomes available(its a major part of clan combat, crazy not to have them eventually), theres my Elemental.

I understand this whole concept of one char per, I find it extremely limiting. I know every character can do all the roles but figuring there will be a progressively higher exp cost, it becomes silly for a casual gamer to expect to do this. Plus when the clans arrive, its not like you IS pilots will simply port over to the clans to be pilots, a new character will likely be required. I am also a huge fan of multi-characters as i think things get stale with just one.

#31 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Remember that ranks for House characters are determined by XP, and that anyone who wants to maintain their ranks within Houses (and maybe eventually Clans if they make them playable) will need to keep their XP up. We've been told that XP will be lost automatically with inactivity, and that any ranks will be lost when you go below their threshold. Keeping multiple characters from losing ranks will get more and more difficult as you add more characters. For a casual gamer, multiple characters might not be viable.

#32 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

I've already got more then one account, so unless they plan to monitor IP and lock out multiple accounts that way or however they wish to do it, I'm going to have more then one pilot, one way or another.

That said, I'm for more then one pilot per account.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 21 February 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#33 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

It's unlikely that they would do anything to prevent people from having multiple accounts. More accounts equals more money for them, so it wouldn't make business sense to do so. Players just have to keep in mind that maintaining ranks in House and Clan units will be more difficult as they add more characters. If all you have are mercenary unit characters and Lone Wolves you won't have this problem, as merc unit leaders decide their own rank structure and Lone Wolves don't have ranks at all.

#34 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have no idea why anyone shouldn't be able to have multiple accounts, really. If I want to play as merc at one acc and as faction soldier on other one, or maybe love 2 or more factions or just want to try different roles not waiting when my main char will be able to unlock all these things? While I have time to maintain more than one acc it shouldn't be a problem. Well, maybe I'll gain exp twice slower, but is it so bad?

View PostJack Gallows, on 21 February 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

I've already got more then one account, so unless they plan to monitor IP and lock out multiple accounts that way or however they wish to do it, I'm going to have more then one pilot, one way or another.

Btw, I'm too. Made another acc after realized, that it's not a login or forum name, and I think I should have more RP name for my pilot, not just a callsign. But I use only this acc on forum, cause don't want to be confused with someone else.

#35 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Pretty sure they'd let you have more then one account. Not many companies go around trying to limit the ways people can give them money. :P

#36 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Seriously considering doing 5 accounts. Get each accepted in to a Great House. See which one best fits my style of play and run with that one. Beats spending a couple of months trying to make things right in one House and then figuring out that we should go our seperate ways. And then trying to earn your way into another House with a history behind you. Anyone who switches from one House to another will never be truly accepted.

So many are already declaring for a House and they have no idea if they will be a good fit. You may end up in House Davion with its thousands of schoolkids who think anyone over 21 is an old fogie and maybe you would be a better fit in The Raselhague Republic who somehow are doing a better job of keeping the kids out from under foot and are able to get on with the business of doing serious campaigns to defend borders and get people into Co's that are able work well together. How will you mke that switch without having tostart all over again?

Feelings about Houses are great, but this is a game and I would rather be in a good team in a House I am not wild about, rather than stuck in a bad situation in a House I am fond of.

#37 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

More than one account per e-mail is nice, though I do already have like 6 e-mail accounts that all have the same password just for things like one-account-per-email. It's a hassle logging them all in though. :)

#38 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

to clarify.

Word straight from the Dev's , 1 pilot per account. :)

I am sure this will all be addressed in the near future.

#39 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

I opened plenty accounts just incase with multiple registers.
Since they are all mine it wont be a problem.I just cant play with random names like "Wol-f-516"

Edited by Bluey, 26 February 2012 - 05:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users