One of the most interesting things about this game...

No replies to this topic

#1 KillerWabbit

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

...at least in theory, is that the devs have such a ridiculously large backlog of material to pull from. It took until today for me to realize exactly how amazing this is. So long as they feel like putting out "new" Mechs at a decently regular basis, the game itself should be relatively self-regulating on balance.

Yes, I know some Mech designs are "better," either in specialized roles or as all-arounders. But everyone who has played the TT or various video game versions of B-Tech can attest that pilot skill and tactics make up a HUGE part of the game.

Seriously... it boggles my mind to think of how many different Mechs (not even counting Clan designs!) we could see in a year or two. I wonder, from concept art to final implementation, how long it takes to put a new design into the game (on average)?

I know people compare a lot of this game to WoT, but they have a LOT of tanks in that game. Now imagine that many Mechs in MW:O, with more coming out every so often. Each one a viable, worthwhile mech. Most games have a problem with "Top-End Syndrome;" that is, when you get the "top-end" option, everything else is irrelevant. Mechwarrior has always been strange that way; yeah, a Wolfhound is a BRUTAL all-around light Mech, and the WLF-2 variant is one of the most optomised-for-its-tonnage Mechs ever printed (especially for its time). But I'll take a Raven if I am in a Command lance situation. Heck, for urban scouting, I'll take an Ostscout!

I try not to get my hopes up; this gaming universe has hurt me before. ;) But the mere idea of all of this puts a smile on my face. ":P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users