Becoming a clanner

37 replies to this topic

#1 Strumtruppen

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

I personally like the clans. but i wonder.... how would someone go around joining them when they arrive? due to clan tech. Quite a lot of members will go straight for the clans. how will we limit this? will their be a set limit of members per clan?

ex. 500 members for clan wolf
400 for jade falcon

if so i think that a certien trial should be interduced so that the members can earn their way into the clans with out the "iron born" attitude since we all have the choice of being inner sphere or a merc.

#2 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

I think that the implementing zell in some form will make or break the balance for Clan players.

#3 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

Aff.

#4 zpizza15

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Locationsomewhere you cant find me hehePS. its in a state called Noneya dang business

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

i need a clan

#5 Hikap

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

claaaaanzzzzzzzzz
i think they should just limit the number of players but have it first come first serve
that is if they do it like that and whatnot

#6 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

There's got to be a good system for it. One that could filter out the true enthusiasts from the ones who just want clan mechs. I believe if you want clan tech, you've got to work hard to earn it.

The clanners need to be picked from a certain playerbase, and somehow constrained to clan ROE. Everyone else would just have to hope they got lucky with salvage. That sounds just fine to me, considering the amount of Timberwolf fanboys crowding the forums. (Myself included, as much as I hate to admit.)

#7 Justin Xang Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostFoxx, on 07 September 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

There's got to be a good system for it. One that could filter out the true enthusiasts from the ones who just want clan mechs. I believe if you want clan tech, you've got to work hard to earn it.

The clanners need to be picked from a certain playerbase, and somehow constrained to clan ROE. Everyone else would just have to hope they got lucky with salvage. That sounds just fine to me, considering the amount of Timberwolf fanboys crowding the forums. (Myself included, as much as I hate to admit.)

make them follow zellebrigin

#8 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 07 September 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

I think that the implementing zell in some form will make or break the balance for Clan players.

Indeed. Either that, or clans get less players in a match, e.g. 2 stars vs. 3 lances. Or a combination thereof. Anything else would be ridiculously unbalanced.

View PostHikap, on 07 September 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

i think they should just limit the number of players but have it first come first serve

First come first served is not very clan like... "whoever clicks first" is not a true measure of skill.

Edited by Exilyth, 08 September 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#9 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

Going by battletech lore, you would have to be taken as a bondsman which would have you made a support worker and then impress enough to be put into the military cast in order to get back into a mech. Otherwise you would have to take a trial of position which would have you fight 5 mechs in single combat one after another.

#10 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

They could simply restrict Clan players to fight against other Clan, and face the IS only in staged battles, where numbers and positioning etc are pre determined.

#11 Smoke Jagaur MAX

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Why limit the numbers that won't be fair to late joiners, plus the people with multiple accounts will suck up all

the spots...Just make Clan tech the cost it should be...That alone will make it only a few people playing them.

#12 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

pretty simple - no player populated clans. and something tells me that this is right decision and that is exactly what devs will do. and after invasion starts clan tech could be obtained via fraction ranking\points or as rewards for contracts or battle salvage. in some battles to simulate clans invasion random team could act as clanners, with their mech changed into stock clan ones for duration of said battle, so everyone could try it out and all, but honestly - human populated clans? this one will instantly kill all balance. Zell? do you really think that someone would honestly follow Zell in heat of battle (i'm talking about players right now) high prices? even if repair prices would be x2 of current it would not compensate etc etc so no player populated clans is actually fairly good.

Edited by Kurayami, 08 September 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#13 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostKurayami, on 08 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

pretty simple - no player populated clans. and something tells me that this is right decision and that is exactly what devs will do. and after invasion starts clan tech could be obtained via fraction ranking\points or as rewards for contracts or battle salvage. in some battles to simulate clans invasion random team could act as clanners, with their mech changed into stock clan ones for duration of said battle, so everyone could try it out and all, but honestly - human populated clans? this one will instantly kill all balance. Zell? do you really think that someone would honestly follow Zell in heat of battle (i'm talking about players right now) high prices? even if repair prices would be x2 of current it would not compensate etc etc so no player populated clans is actually fairly good.

The Devs have already indicated that the Clans will eventually be playable.

Since Clans are Factions, and not player run (at launch), this would fall under the Faction Unit rules.

Players can earn the privilege to be a member by earning loyalty points and performing certain feats/actions.
(Bryan Ekman; source)

I think we would need to be brain dead to not want to sell Mad Cats to players. We have design and balance issues to figure out but we will get it sorted so players can play as the clans
(Russ Bullock; source)

That being said, there is a theory that the Clans might be initially introduced as PVE content (as Russ himself indicated that PVE content would be one of the first things PGI would be looking into after MWO transitions to Open Beta; source) before eventually being opened to player membership.

I've also written out an argument for the Clans being introduced in that manner (initially PVE, then player-populated) which included a set of potential "injection points" and advantages to the Devs to do so; said argument can be read here.

#14 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

those quotes means that players would be able to get their hands on clan tech equally by gaining enough rep while still being anything they want - merc etc just like in case with factions and aside your allegiance rating nothing will distinguish house freeborn and proud clanner. ie being part of house Kurita not stopping me from gaining enough clan rep to get my hands on Timber Wolf while still staying in the Kurita mustered soldiery.

and what i meant is completely move player to clan side like changing a race in other games, granting access to some clan tech just by this sole fact thus making it impossible to nonclan players to get some of said tech or severally delaying access to them (hope i wrote this right this time). so in the end solution is "no player populated clans" ie you cant **** some switch and woalya you are proud clanner with access to fancy toys in your mechlab while others forced to search battlefields for scrap, but you can always grind chosen clan rating higher than other faction ranks and think of yourself as a proud clanner.

and why exactly f l i p some switch is censored?

Edited by Kurayami, 08 September 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#15 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: building the clans economy around their RoE/Zell is the way to go with the clans since that will weed out the people who are just looking for new toys.

As to how to become a clanner, that should be easy; the player logs in and is given the choice of being IS or Clan, with no cross over between the two factions (So you can't bring a mad cat over to the IS or a Stalker over to the clans). If forum chatter is anything to go by, then clan players won't have to worry about having a massive edge on numbers (even before the power gamers get weeded out).

#16 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostAshla Mason, on 08 September 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

As to how to become a clanner, that should be easy; the player logs in and is given the choice of being IS or Clan, with no cross over between the two factions (So you can't bring a mad cat over to the IS or a Stalker over to the clans). If forum chatter is anything to go by, then clan players won't have to worry about having a massive edge on numbers (even before the power gamers get weeded out).

and thus we will have like 75% playing as clans. stop trying to make clans elite chosen one race (in game). and rules of engagement\zell - nobody will follow this, even most diehard fans will give up on it. and there is no actual way to forcefully implement them to fullest. and just reducing clans team in numbers wont cut it. judging by the quotes clans will be just another faction\contractor with no actual option to start as clanner or is. only allegiance points will show who you are and all players would have an option to complete something for them to have access to clantech in one way or another so deal with it.

#17 Crusader Breen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

the original text. (russian)
Секунду, я лично хочу играть за клан, я не хочу бегать во внутренней сфере как наёмник, я не желаю биться за дома, чьи руки по локоть в крови. Я хочу биться за клан! Какой рейтинг? О каком рейтинге идёт речь? Вы стали забывать, что и вам будут доступны клан мехи. Я жду, когда будут клан, я раде этого играю и слижу за событием в мире мво. Я жажду увидеть и быть в клане, в своём клане, где проходил аттестацию и получил звание мех война. Вам нравится сфера, так и занимайтесь ею, а кланы оставьте кланам.

text translated in Google
Second, I personally want to play for a clan, I do not want to run in the domestic sphere as a mercenary, I do not want to fight for the house, whose hands are stained with blood. I want to fight for the clan! What rating? What kind of rating mean? You have forgotten that you will be available clan mech. I'm waiting for the clan will be, I'm playing this event in the world for MBO. I long to see and to be in a clan, in his clan, where he was certified and received a fur war. You esphere, and worked at it, and leave the clans clans.

Edited by CSV Crusader, 08 September 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#18 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

the clans will be playable, and you will go threw trials of position to join. your fate in the clans is in your hands.

i lol when people mention being forced to fight with zell, because they don't seem to understand that once a single enemy mech on the field shoots two targets without finishing one fight, zell is out the window, you broke the rules.

everyone wanting to play (seriously) is going to NEED to join a group of some sort, or be hired as a merc in some way or another, otherwise it's going to be an easy road to Terra.

#19 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Simple: you want Clan, you pay for it(I mean with cash). You take the hit on a really cruel matchmaker and you prove your worht by having to achieve to get good mechs.

Make clans expensive premium content; that's what I'd do.

#20 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 08 September 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

and at this exact moment forum server will in endless shutdown, fallen under siege of whiners.

View Postzudukai, on 08 September 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

the clans will be playable, and you will go threw trials of position to join. your fate in the clans is in your hands.

i lol when people mention being forced to fight with zell, because they don't seem to understand that once a single enemy mech on the field shoots two targets without finishing one fight, zell is out the window, you broke the rules.

everyone wanting to play (seriously) is going to NEED to join a group of some sort, or be hired as a merc in some way or another, otherwise it's going to be an easy road to Terra.

a word of wisdom at last.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users