Today I cut myself.. With a hard drive

20 replies to this topic

#1 Xdflames

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

So today I was messing around with a broken hard drive that someone completely destroyed before hand by stabbing it multiple times. Why they stabbed it so many times, I have no idea. It was sitting in my class for about a month.

I decided to pick it up and pull the sticker off the back, I got a bit off and stuck my thumb under the sticker and ended up slicing my thumb open on a sharp sheet of metal under the sticker.

Anyone else do anything completely stupid like this lately?

#2 MasterofBlasters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 477 posts
  • LocationYou'd like to know that wouldn't you?

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image
And no I haven't done anything extraordinarily stupid lately.

Edited by Barg12, 04 September 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#3 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

I ate a bowl of cinamon toast crunch last night before going to bed... woke up this morning with the worst case of $#@!s ever... can't say I won't do that again, cause I probably will... that milk tasted soooo good lol

Only stupid thing I've done lately...

#4 Jmb

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Not recently, did **** off a scorpion that crawled into my bed while sleeping though. Luckily, I'm not allergic and it was only on my arm.

#5 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Many things have gone wrong, here are some:

1. Yeah, tried making a battery pack out of multiple AA size batterys by sticking them together with tape and some wire. before I could blink I saw and smelt some nasty smoke, tried taking it apart quickly, and got one big electrical shock. got it appart in the end, before it blew up, but I had some cooked fingers afterwards. lesson to be learned: dont try to make DIY battery packs.

2. Couple of years back tried making a mini steam engine, nearly boiled my face. blew it then had a huge flame attack my head. came out unharmed.

3. Playing around on a invention of mine (go karty thing made in a shed) and broke my toenail half off and made it go purple.

4. hurt my hand with a rc helicopter rotor blade whilst trying to cut grass with it.

5. Took a old digital camera appart touched the flash unit and cooked my hand.

6. fell in the fish pond.

Edited by Joe3142, 04 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#6 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Where do I begin... As far as computer related injuries, there was this time I was opening an HP machine and the side door of the enclosure just didn't want to come off, so I finally brute forced it... but just a little too hard and sliced my index finger open along the side of the case.

Then there was the time at work where I had to sign a document about box cutter safety and like, 2 hours later, as if by fate, I sliced my finger with it and was bleeding all over the place...

Or there was the time where I was riding my bike too fast in the rain a few weeks back...and well. Slip. Fall. Ow.

Fun times.

#7 Groundstain

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and there.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I had an E-Acto awl roll off of my desk and stab me right in my thumb nail. Cuss words were created. [after the initial shock]

#8 DJPhased

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIowa, USA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

I remember when I was a kid I wired the house up and set off every circuit breaker we had in the house. Fun times...

#9 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Was putting a new fan in my PC the other week. All was going well, everything wired up, mounted just right, ready to test it. Plugged system in, turned it on...can hear the fan motor struggling but the fan isn't moving. Hmm...what's that about? Realized I'd somehow managed to get a screwdriver into the blades and it was jammed. That fan no longer works :) .

Installed a new mobo and proc. a week later. Wanted to check the wiring so I took the front panel off. It refused to budge..until my face was in the perfect position that I hit myself in the face when it DID let go.

Oh, probably the number 1 moment in recent memory. Making dinner a few weeks ago, had pierogies in the oven. Timer went off, checked on 'em and they were awesome. Grabbed an oven mitt, put it on my right hand, the proceeded to reach into the oven and grab the pan with my left...once I was no longer cringing in pain my wife laughed at me :(

Edited by trycksh0t, 04 September 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#10 Ducks Guts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.A.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostJmb, on 04 September 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Not recently, did **** off a scorpion that crawled into my bed while sleeping though. Luckily, I'm not allergic and it was only on my arm.

That damn scorpion! It did the same thing to me a while back. But not in the same bed.

Also makes you wonder why someone initially stabbed the fn thing.

#11 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Well, playing around with a POPS ASA (If you're fairly familiar with paintball markers you should know what I'm talking about) without macroline, didn't know I still had 2500 PSI in my tank so thinking it was empty I engaged the POPS but the regulator was without a shim stack (I was using the super high pressure to dust behind my motherboard) and the thing took off and bruised my foot pretty bad.

Edited by aresfiend, 05 September 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#12 Needle Fingers

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

When i was a child at school, we were having textiles lessons and i got my turn on the sewing machine... Looking at tmy hand now i have a nice scar through my hand where the needle stabbed me a several times. Also the nerves in my left cheek have been permernantly deadened after i fell onto a metallic case from 2 meters, cushed the nerves and abit of my cheekbone, everything reformed (thanks youth!) except the nerves, oddly.

Recently knocked myself unconcious whilst in a hurry by walking face first into pole.
Managed to cut myself whilst installing a brand new motherboard without noticing... it's nice and red now, still works though.
And managed to (thankfully before the dissection started) miss the target with a scalpel at university and stab my hand with it, thankfully that was shallow.

My family/friends Jokingly(?) call me the walking accident machine. I guess being dyspraxic doesn't help but what can you do!

Edited by Needle Fingers, 05 September 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#13 Xdflames

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostNeedle Fingers, on 05 September 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

When i was a child at school, we were having textiles lessons and i got my turn on the sewing machine... Looking at tmy hand now i have a nice scar through my hand where the needle stabbed me a several times. Also the nerves in my left cheek have been permernantly deadened after i fell onto a metallic case from 2 meters, cushed the nerves and abit of my cheekbone, everything reformed (thanks youth!) except the nerves, oddly.

Recently knocked myself unconcious whilst in a hurry by walking face first into pole.
Managed to cut myself whilst installing a brand new motherboard without noticing... it's nice and red now, still works though.
And managed to (thankfully before the dissection started) miss the target with a scalpel at university and stab my hand with it, thankfully that was shallow.

My family/friends Jokingly(?) call me the walking accident machine. I guess being dyspraxic doesn't help but what can you do!

I guess that is also where you got your forum name! Feel kind of morbid for mentioning that though..

Guess I might as well share the other stupid thing I did recently. My dad was doing something to the light switch in the living room and the power was off on that side of the house for a few hours. However, when I went in there to see what he was doing he was gone, so I decided to stick my finger inside the hole to push the metal out of the way so I could see what was inside. The thing about this though, was my dad just went downstairs to the garage to f l i p (it stars out otherwise, guess its a bad word.) the breaker. Whole arm and part of my leg went numb before my brain processed that I needed to let go. Could have been deadly if I put both hands in there, guess I wasn't that stupid at the time though.

This is getting good though, it's great to know I'm not the only one who constantly gets hurt doing weird things.

Edited by Xdflames, 06 September 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#14 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I kept getting an error message, something-something DLL error. So I found it and deleted it. Can you say,"Blue Screen of Death?"

#15 ShadowMech84

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostXdflames, on 06 September 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I guess that is also where you got your forum name! Feel kind of morbid for mentioning that though..

Guess I might as well share the other stupid thing I did recently. My dad was doing something to the light switch in the living room and the power was off on that side of the house for a few hours. However, when I went in there to see what he was doing he was gone, so I decided to stick my finger inside the hole to push the metal out of the way so I could see what was inside. The thing about this though, was my dad just went downstairs to the garage to f l i p (it stars out otherwise, guess its a bad word.) the breaker. Whole arm and part of my leg went numb before my brain processed that I needed to let go. Could have been deadly if I put both hands in there, guess I wasn't that stupid at the time though.

This is getting good though, it's great to know I'm not the only one who constantly gets hurt doing weird things.

My grandpa taught me how to do basic electrical repairs at a young age. I used to shock myself on purpose. I liked the way it felt. lol He also used to be a co-owner of an off-road performance shop and he took me with him one day to pick up some parts from 4-Wheel Parts Unlimited in Colton. They had an MSD ignition system demo set up that you could turn this **** and it would send a spark through 2 contact points so you could see it in action. I stuck my finger between the contact points and started cranking on the **** to shock myself. A few seconds later I look up and everyone in the store is staring at me like I'm a crazy person. hahaha

#16 Xdflames

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostShadowMech84, on 06 September 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

My grandpa taught me how to do basic electrical repairs at a young age. I used to shock myself on purpose. I liked the way it felt. lol He also used to be a co-owner of an off-road performance shop and he took me with him one day to pick up some parts from 4-Wheel Parts Unlimited in Colton. They had an MSD ignition system demo set up that you could turn this **** and it would send a spark through 2 contact points so you could see it in action. I stuck my finger between the contact points and started cranking on the **** to shock myself. A few seconds later I look up and everyone in the store is staring at me like I'm a crazy person. hahaha

Well, most of my things are on accident. However I hope you know better to stick both hands in something that can shock you, especially doing it on purpose lol.

#17 Needle Fingers

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostXdflames, on 06 September 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Heh, not morbid at all! Half the reason of how i got my name.

Good to know i'm not the only complete clutz in the world heh :).

#18 Faenwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 671 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

Oh man. When I was a young kid ( abotu 10 I guess), I was somewhere out in the forest on a trip. I had my pocket knife with me and preoceeded to skin a branch of wood ( no Idea why I wanted to do that). Before I knew, I slipped of the wood and cut into my left index finger pretty deep. Without a bone in there, I'd probably have cut of my finger. Still got a scar on it that runs across half of my adult-sized index finger.

Edited by Faenwulf, 07 September 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#19 WildFire ca

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 56 posts
  • LocationHoth

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

I ate a ghost chilli pepper the other day, That was pretty stupid. Although I did pay for it and had it planed for a while, it was still stupid.

#20 Revanchist

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBehind You...

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

well.. as a kid i whas playeing on the swingset i had borrewd my fathers armebots (yes they wher to big but what the ****) they where not laest att all so whas swinging back and forth when one off them came off! i swong back and then forth and the armebot came down and smackt my head so hard i had to get Stitches. NEVER DONE THAT AGAIN!!! lesson lernd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users