38 replies to this topic

#21 Chuckie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Funny I asked the same question and it was locked by Ghost in 3 posts.

#22 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

You are saying that because I put up a Poll that might have had something to do with something similar on the Forums it is automatically locked (or in the past, combined with another thread, and they lost the entire poll)?

Gee, I guess I should avoid talking about Battletech entirely I guess.
I mean I think somebody put up something that covered that idea somewhere... ;)

#23 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 February 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

The vast majority of the threads locked are duplicates of existing threads, or rehashing of old ones. I'll look into it.

Heh. Have fun guys ... as busy as this place is, everything has at least 10 duplicates floating around.

#24 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

There's no secret, gestapo agenda here. There were a lot (!lot) of reports about the forums being mires of the same threads over and over, and I asked the Mods to combine/move/delete threads where applicable. You might not see your poll as extraneous, but the identical poll made three days previous on page four disagrees, to give a (fake) example.

So basically yes, as Pht says... ;)

#25 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I don't understand the locks on a few of them as they are just speculation threads, which is the vast majority of what is here anyway.

#26 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I do not envy you guys trying to stuff that toothpaste back into the tube. It's hard enough to keep the cap on that kind of toothpaste, much less stuffing it back into the tube.

I would recommend a good 60cc reinforced glass syringe... ;)

#27 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Rehashing old topics is fine as long as the ideas are productive, the FAQs and Q&As are referred to and there's no flaming, yes? Locked threads need to have some PR message politely stating why it was locked otherwise it just looks like fascist censoring. We are the community. The perception of "devs not listening to their fan base" has been a big issue in several games in the past sometime fatally. Star Wars Galaxies comes to mind.

Its important I believe for Mods to allow some free discussion even if its repetitive or negative as long as it doesnt violate TOS..

#28 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Maybe sticky some of the more popular topics then so they don't fall off the front page? I know there are a lot of folks who post things if they don't see it on the first page and sometimes search engines on forums can be very vague or just plain odd.

Should be mandatory for there to be some sort of message before lock though please.

#29 mekredd

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOne Clanner down, about a hundred more to go!

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 22 February 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Its important I believe for Mods to allow some free discussion even if its repetitive or negative as long as it doesnt violate TOS..

You're free to do that still. In the appropriate, already-existing threads.

Seriously people, this is standard operating procedure for every (good) forum out there. Not a big deal at all.

#30 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

SO its GARTHS FAULT *Gets the torches and pitchforks*

#31 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 February 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

The vast majority of the threads locked are duplicates of existing threads, or rehashing of old ones. I'll look into it.

Thank you Garth, thats all we can ask.

In the case of my thread, I'm not sure why it was locked. I was merely expressing my excitement at Wednesdays being my new favorite day of the week because of the information released by MWO. Not sure why that makes it a reason to be locked, in fact more posts like that should be encouraged imo.

#32 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

We added a 'mass lock' feature which I believe to be at fault for some not having messages at the end. Apparently it mass locks, but does not mass reply.

And yes it is all my fault.

Also we appreciate those threads SilentWolff, believe me. As I said I think the mass lock feature is to blame. In addition to me ;)

#33 firestarter

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Sounds like a cover up for a Comstar Interdiction. ;)

#34 nightsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Not sure I understand the problem. Is it the number of open topics? or the fact that the mods feel to many were repeats? I looked at some such as the speculation on the next mech which I thought was very productive locking it as soon as it is unvailed just cut people off from the conversation they were having. If you want to prune cut things that are months old with no new posts if you must but a thread with a post less then 24 hours old is really heavy handed. Atleast that is my opinion.

#35 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

The problem is basically that instead of having, say I dunno, one thread about how people want the Awesome added, we have sixty. And more keep being made.

One of my (in fact, i'd argue my most important) job is to tell the Devs here what you guys want, are talking about, and your ideas. It's impossible for me to do this if even a single topic has threads in the dozens.

So if not for yourselves, do me a favour - keep the ideas together so I can report them faster. I'm here for you guys as a conduit (not like Ilos) to the Devs.

#36 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 February 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Also we appreciate those threads SilentWolff, believe me. As I said I think the mass lock feature is to blame. In addition to me ;)

Thats good to know, both that you guys appreciate those threads and that I know whom to blame now lol :o

#37 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

@ Garth

I know you're all over it. Thanks, man. Merge, Sticky, Retitle.. so they are easier to find and post on rather than making new threads..

#38 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'm glad we all understand now. So please, everyone calm down, relax, and don't PM/make a new thread/rant and rave even though I'm closing this one ;)

#39 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

Guys & Gals,

As Garth said, no agenda. No PR attempts.

I came online, found some duplicated material in several threads, Locked a few down, one or two given reasons, the others I went to find the recent previous thread to merge them into, when all of a sudden vollies of LRM15's started hitting my house, and Virgin Media went offline.

It would seem, Garth and Mason have handled this.

My apologies.

As I always try to give people reasons, when I make a decision that affects them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users