Secondary effects of flamers (other than damage)

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Secondary effects of flamers (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What secondary effects would you like to see for flamers (other than damage)?

1. None (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Damage/Disorientation to pilot (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Higher chance of critical damage to exposed internal structure (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

4. Increased heat on enemy mech (22 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

5. Other (please specify) (4 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

You may vote more than once in the poll.

I'd like to see flamer weapons have a bit more potency in their effect, and to make them a viable short range weapon. By adding in secondary effects, this also brings a bit more of a tactical role to them, rather than the 2 damage that they do.

If you hit the head, I'd like to see them do some temporary damage to the pilot; the increased heat should cause heat blurs for your vision, which should make targetting a bit more complex.

I think flamers should be perfect for damaging exposed internal structure, the areas where armour has already been blown off. You could have a +10% chance to critical hitting internal structure when hit by a flamer.

I'd also like to see the enemy gain a bit more heat from being hit by flamers, not necessarily game breakingly huge amounts, but a few more levels of heat gained.

I didn't feel like Flamers did all that much in MW4, and given our nice concept render of a Flamer gun, let's make sure plenty of Mechwarriors feel its effects!

Edited by autogyro, 23 February 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

I voted for other. I'd like to see the flamer implemented in its original tabeltop style.

Two firing modes:
The first deals damage as we are used to. Maybe by a highly concentrated flame, like that of welding equipment.
The other deals heat, possibly by bathing the target in a wall of fire.

#3 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Flamers were kind of a joke in MW3 (don't remember trying them out in 4), and ungodly OP in MW2. I'd like something in between, having the ability to raise enemy heat levels (and set fires to the same effect), and I'd like to see high heat levels in this game cause a degree of pilot impairment (whether self-generated or as a result of flamers/infernos). However, I don't want it to be as easy to keep targets shutdown or destroyed by bathing them in flames as it was in the MW2 series.

#4 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

Quite obviously a totally ruined paintjob. Thanks to scorchmarks. Oh the fury of the Tech who has to repaint all this... :)

#5 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hm flammer for create fires...when some mechs hide in a forrest burn the forrest down.

The only thing that is interesting: do you use "mech" flammer with plasma from the fusion or did you use fuel.

#6 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 23 February 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

Flamers were kind of a joke in MW3 (don't remember trying them out in 4), and ungodly OP in MW2. I'd like something in between, having the ability to raise enemy heat levels (and set fires to the same effect), and I'd like to see high heat levels in this game cause a degree of pilot impairment (whether self-generated or as a result of flamers/infernos). However, I don't want it to be as easy to keep targets shutdown or destroyed by bathing them in flames as it was in the MW2 series.

Yeah would be nice to have a balanced and usable Flamer in this game. I just recall loading out with MGs and Flamers in MW2 and going wild. Tested them in the later games and quickly shelved them.

#7 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 23 February 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Hm flammer for create fires...when some mechs hide in a forrest burn the forrest down.

The only thing that is interesting: do you use "mech" flammer with plasma from the fusion or did you use fuel.

I was told that the flammer used the plasma exhaust from the engine. I hated how gimped flammers were in MW4, just one blast which then you had to cycle and the damage and heat they incurred on the other mech was not really that impressive. I say it should be continues sense if its suppose to act like exhaust from the engine like a car when you hold down the accelerator. The draw back being not only do you heat up the other enemy mech but your heat also spikes rather quickly your self, so you probably don't want to mount more then one. Or you can have both the plasma exhaust and the fuel type in game each having their pros and cons. The exhaust is that you never run out and no ammo explostion but your heat spikes fast, and then the fuel type which needs fuel that runs out quickly and have to worry about ammo explostions but you suffer far less heat on your self and the fire lingers sense its like napalm.

Edited by Coralld, 23 February 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#8 canned wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationFort Collins Colorado

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

Venting plasma always seemed like a overcomplicated way to make a flame thrower. Yeah its really hot, but it doesn't continue to burn for any significant time and the energy is going to try and disipate as soon as it leaves the barrel of the flamer. So you get a really hot torch, good for solaris maybe. Mostly useless on the battlefield.

I would like to see flamers have the ability to light internal fires on mechs that have had their armor penetrated. I could do without the armor damage, because flamethrowers just don't get hot enough to damage armor.

#9 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

A possible effect of the flamers could be that not only do they cause heat to spike on the enemy but it can also cause ammo explosions, making you want to have CASE for anything and everything that might go boom and grenade inside of you. Basically turning your own ordinance against you.

Edited by Coralld, 23 February 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#10 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

I have always been a flamer fan...and can't wait until Plasma Cannons and Rifles are implemented.

I say make it easy.

Give the Flamer a low damage potential AND a possible heat spike on an enemy. But balance it out of course.

That way the basic flamer actually has a potential for use beyond standard weapons (damage only) and makes
it easier to program (for the developers) and easier to use by players (so you won't have to "switch-modes"
with a flamer).

Just my humble opinion however. :)

#11 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

All I know is that if PGI decides to introduce the Firestarter in the game I want it to be useful. I love that little pyromaniac of a mech.

#12 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Send a firestarter to canada.

Paul could use it to roast the 8 tons of hotdogs we put in his front yard.

Bring your own beer and napkins though!

#13 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostMetro, on 23 February 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Send a firestarter to canada.

Paul could use it to roast the 8 tons of hotdogs we put in his front yard.

Bring your own beer and napkins though!

*Hops into my Firestarter* So, whats the address? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users